• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What's your worst accident on a bike?

@KiwiTex , thank you for the input. watching the video, hindsight has taught me to look at it much as you did. I realize I was in the wrong in many ways in this situation.
Great attitude. Learning happens after you realize what you could have done better and work on whatever changes are needed to have a different outcome next time.

Some people have too much pride and it keeps them from learning. I'm glad to see that isn't the case here.

Best of luck in your recovery. My bet is that you never make some of these mistakes again.

I hit some gravel on the road and low sided an SV1000 probably doing somewhere around 40 mph. The bike slid off the left side of the road, and I barrel rolled down the asphalt a ways. Given that I was wearing jeans and a T-shirt I really didn’t come out of it too poorly. I had some light road rash and bruising on my hips, shoulders, and forearms.

The worst of it was on my hands. Once I stopped rolling I put my hands down to get up off the ground, only to find out I actually hadn’t stopped rolling. Even the rash on my hands wasn’t that bad. I don’t know if it was luck or a conscious effort, but my helmet never even touched the ground. It came out without a scratch on it.

I was right next to a TXDOT staging area...a gravel lot where their equipment for the nearby road work was locked up at night. The bike wouldn’t start after the get off, and they let me push it in there until I could get back to pick it up. I had a buddy of mine take me back out there later that day. By then I had looked up how to reset the fuel pump. Once I did that it fired right up and I rode it home. That was a wild ride since the bars were bent and the nub that held the throttle side controls had broken off.

I’ve had a couple of dirt bike crashes that were worse, but for some reason I don’t really count those. I just figure you’re meant to crash those suckers.

I was leaving base one day (NAS Fort Worth JRB the base formerly known as Carswell). Just checked out on leave was excited and in a hurry to get out of there and get home to get packed for my trip. As I was leaving base I passed a truck and did a shoulder check to go around another car. The car had stopped while I was looking over my shoulder, looked forward in time to see myself impact the right rear corner of the car. Bike got deflected to the curb, I did a cartwheel in the air and landed next to the car. Broke my right wrist I think. May have been left. This was not long after I got the bike and myself back together after a left turner took me out.

`These stories make me a little more Puckered up on the street. Never gone down on the slab and don't want to. The dirt however is another story and the list is long and expensive.

Rewatched the video. It always surprises me how slow that slide appears to happen. And kind of out of nowhere.

I got clothes lined by a barbed wire riding my xr75 in 7th grade. 20 stiches between my eyes and 8 outside my right eye . Scar still with me.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
04c2b2497dda5e284d7ccefc085cc3b2.jpg

So that you will know too.
9-13-2015. A very quiet Sunday morning with little traffic.
AGAT. Broadsided in an intersection when a car ran a red light.
$47,000.00 in medical for me. 2007 Goldwing totaled. Not replaced.
No lesson learned. I was covering the brakes and horn button but it was to late.

20150913_110027.jpg

Three lane Boulevard. We were in the far right lane. Impact sent the bike into left lane and ejected us about 40 feet
forward. Rose Ann said I was out for a couple of minutes.
20150916_144426.jpg

The engine case and hard saddlebag saved our right legs. Just my collar bone broken but we both felt like
we had been beaten with a sack of car batteries. Pile of parts shorn off piled up in the pillion seat.

collar bone.JPG

Rose Ann would never ride again. I was just glad she was able to tell me that. I still ride today.
Two more get offs since. Both low side.

Worst (so far) was few years ago on the Boardstand trail near Talahina. There used to be a big tree angled across the trail and over a rock wall just left of the trail. Some of yall may know that spot well. Either drag your bike under the log or ...for those of questionable sanity... ride up on top of the rock wall and jump the log. Problem was, this is the side of a mountain and that log angled down hill quite a bit. The down hill drop off the wall was about 6 feet or so...add making it on top of the log and it starts looking like a lot. I know but it seemed like a good idea at the time... Pretty sure that was when the first wrist got customized. Had friends there to help drag the motorcycle out of the abyss. No big deal and compared to y'alls xray images hardly worth mentioning.

My worst was at Red River. I was 26 and on a CR 500 pinned 5th gear going down the creek. Buddy was just in front and when he hit the water in the creek it splashed in my face. Back then you just said WFO and that will take care of everything. Bad part was there was a huge tree that fell in the creek. Nothing I could do put pul the front wheel up and sing. I was out until the ambulance got there. About 45 min. Broke the swing arm and rear tire from the bike. I laid about 40 yards from what was left. I refused to go to the hospital. Young and dumb. Had a horrible headache for 2 weeks. I believe that did some irreparable damage. Both ACL's in knees repaired, broken leg, arm, most ribs and 5 bulging disks later I'm good to go.

Sunday, yesterday, I was riding to go hang out with a friend. I realized the streets were slick, but I did not realize how slick until it was too late.

While going over the speed limit ( I admit that was all my fault), a driver in a car pulls into my lane and because of how I reacted (I think I grabbed the front brake too hard), the bike and I went down at about 75 MPH. I have a broken collar bone that will require some surgery to put a plate in. The worst part to me is actually the fractured ribs. There's 3-4 ribs messed up so everything hurts. The bike is mostly fine with just some road rash on the hard case and the engine guards did their job well. I'm very happy with the work from T-Rex Racing. They are the people who made it.

Here is the video from my gopro.

https://youtu.be/PHd9PQ8A13g
Your injuries sound like the ones I got on November 19th! Multiple breaks in the collar bone, broke ribs 2, 3, and 4 anterior and posterior, partially collapsed lung and concussion. Hope you healed well.

My worst was at Red River. I was 26 and on a CR 500 pinned 5th gear going down the creek. Buddy was just in front and when he hit the water in the creek it splashed in my face. Back then you just said WFO and that will take care of everything. Bad part was there was a huge tree that fell in the creek. Nothing I could do put pul the front wheel up and sing. I was out until the ambulance got there. About 45 min. Broke the swing arm and rear tire from the bike. I laid about 40 yards from what was left. I refused to go to the hospital. Young and dumb. Had a horrible headache for 2 weeks. I believe that did some irreparable damage. Both ACL's in knees repaired, broken leg, arm, most ribs and 5 bulging disks later I'm good to go.
Sounds like outright violence. OUCH.

I won’t rank which was worse. Both from an idiot turning left in front of me. Both totaled the bike. Both broke my leg. First one broke the femur. Needed to have 3 surgeries to fix. Didn’t heal totally for over three years. I was able to walk on a broken femur 14 hours after I broke it tho. Went back to work in a week. The second one broke my tibia on the same leg. Put me in a wheelchair for 73 days. I was able to go back to work from home in 5 days and into the office in 10 days. First one in December 2004 cost $250,000.00 to put my leg back together. The one January 2019 cost $400,000.00 to fix.

The one photo shows both sets of titanium.
The other shows the frame of my second Hayabusa broke in two.

Attachments

• BE1E8D92-504E-4BC8-94B5-892DD1A35EA3.jpeg
    BE1E8D92-504E-4BC8-94B5-892DD1A35EA3.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 2A72856C-6C2B-4BB5-8DCF-E8923911CBCF.jpeg
    2A72856C-6C2B-4BB5-8DCF-E8923911CBCF.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 119
Back