• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

When the trip ends too soon...

It intriguing for sure but... i have sympathy we all ride for maybe similar reason, not sure what behind the message of RB

Simon, if you mean the name of their endeavor, “Ride the Bean”, it was apparently a reference to Kenneth’s passion for coffee.

Quite the opposite of people like Itchy Boots. Still, Ride the Bean is life and i certainly hope he can find what he needs.

I feel that as long as he is riding he will be fine, hopefully. I’ve got multitude of places I want to ride to and not enough time!

Wow! Initially with the start of the story you kind of think it's a contrived bit of drama. However, as it proceeds you realize there's a lot of real life going on there. I've never been the sort to do the moment-by-moment recording of a trip or event or part of life. I do like sharing stories after the fact, but I enjoy being in the moment of the trip and trying to do a bunch of documentation just kind of kills the reason why I'm doing the trip, ride, or whatever. It's kind of why I take fewer and fewer pictures on my trips now. It's like an unwelcome interruption. I'm not doing whatever I'm doing to entertain or please someone else while I'm doing it.

Now don't take that wrong. This is my situation for my preference, not a dismissal of how others may enjoy doing this type of activity. In fact I enjoy many of the as-they-happen ride reports and check in on them daily. Just not my thing to be the guy doing it. If you ever see me post something here or on one of the other forums I like to frequent while on a trip or a big ride, it's because it's something huge occurring and maybe worth getting some word out. It might also be a question about something on the trip like intel of the area or a mechanical issue...though I've never done either.

I'm glad there are people on big adventures who do such reports, because I'm not even that big on doing after trip reports. This story was a little different, however. No doubt the drama was pretty real...the crash and the aftermath. I think we're all prone to see the rainbows and unicorns as we start out on our trips, but tend to understand the occasional reality of why it's called "adventure" when the weather, mechanicals, ******* encounters, and other negatives both big and small creep in. The story in this report kind of covered it all, even down the personal tragedy of the demons many have in their heads and hearts. It seems counterintuitive to think of how tough someone can be to undertake a real adventure like the trip was unfolding to be, but then how vulnerable the human spirit can be on the other side.

As someone already pointed out, it's sad to see such young and capable people wrestle with personal boogeymen, and it's hard for many of us to relate. And while I can't relate, I can certainly feel some sympathy for them...and I'm not the usual warm, fuzzy kind of guy...LOL!

Back