• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where am I? (outside Texas)

Oooh, right state anyway. Thanx for playing.;-)

I was going to guess Cheyenne, Wyoming since they have a display there.

But I'll go with Omaha, Nebraska, another railhead...

Oh, and Kenefick Park. (from Google's list of Big Boy locomotives on display)

Last edited:
I don't have a clue, but tell us the story behind the two trains at 90 degrees nose to nose. Did they meet there for the East to West tracks?

I was going to guess Cheyenne. Wyoming since they have a display there.

I think you're right.

1076114.jpg

I was going to guess Cheyenne, Wyoming since they have a display there.

My apologies to all for the delay gettin back.
OK Chuck, you've got the "highball".... I owe ya a slice.:trust:

Omaha's Kenefick Park overlooks I-80 as you cross the Missouri River westbound into Omaha.
The park was opened in 2005 in Union Pacifics hometown and features a Big Boy, the largest series of steam locomotives ever built and a Centennial series locomotive, the largest diesel locomotive ever built.
The UPRR started building the Transcontinental westward from Omaha, well, actually from Council Bluffs, Iowa iirc, meeting the Central Pacific at Promintory Point, Utah (the track crews actually overshot each other, as the competing railroads were being paid by the mile for track laid. :doh: )
There is the assumption by many, myself formerly included, that thought the UP is headquartered at North Platte; this is probably due to the fact that the worlds largest rail yard (Bailey) is at North Platte, something on the order of 150+ trains pass thru daily.

100_1201.jpg

100_1214.jpg

100_1219.jpg

100_1207.jpg

Mrs. D and me. :mrgreen:

There is the assumption by many, myself formerly included, that thought the UP is headquartered at North Platte; this is probably due to the fact that the worlds largest rail yard (Bailey) is at North Platte, something on the order of 150+ trains pass thru daily.

I vaguely remembered that the center of operations was North Platte and that corporate HQ was Omaha. I had heard of Kenefick Park but have never been there. I was in Omaha a few years ago but tied up in other activities that prevented me from going.

The Age of Steam in Dallas has a Big Boy on display - the last time I saw it, it was in pretty bad shape. Hopefully, there will be some effort in restoring her.

I really don't have any out-of-Texas pictures handy, so whoever wants to pick up the ball and run with it - go for it with my regards. :zen:

ok, name of the establishment and town. will fill in the sign a little bit at a time if need be; along with other clues ;-)

Attachments

• 04.29 17.jpg
    04.29 17.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 143
sparky sparky sparky....one give away that is not North Platte...it's green and there are trees. :eek2:

:lol2: Right - been several years since I've been there. I did go see a Union Pacific display in North Platte on a business trip several years ago. I didn't see all of it, and thought perhaps I had missed part of it when I saw this photo. My memory is a little hazy about my visit there - it had been a long, busy day and I was looking for a mental diversion. Anyway, glad I was in the right state anyway. :lol2:

Too far east.

The bridge I am standing on has the same name as a president's daughter.

B

Well then, it's gotta be the Thames River. But where is the Eye of London??

Jolly good!

I am facing west, toward Albert bridge. The Eye is behind me.

Proceed ToroGuy.

B

Where Am I Outside Texas fans...please stand by. I'm home today and my lovely wife got this crazy notion to change internet/TV providers. The new guys are here, have shut off old internet, and say it will be 5-6 hours!?!? until the new service is running.

ToroGuy

Okay, the U-Serve account is now installed and life is good.

These triumphal arches are known by two names by the local residents, neither of which us Americans generally use. First to post either or both of the local names wins.

Attachments

• WAI_7.jpg.JPG
    WAI_7.jpg.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 138
Back