• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where is the BEST Chicken Fried Steak in Texas?

Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Wright
Just want to start off saying I love chicken fried steak. Would like to know if you folks know where the best tasting one is here in the great state of Texas? Any place you would ride your motorcycle to so you can eat their CFS? One of those places worth riding out of the way a tad for perfect cream gravy,fries,and Texas toast?

Please post a picture of your grub if you can. It seems to help get folks interested in going and trying these places out. Thank you for showing us the finest chicken fried steaks in Texas.

Any CFS encounters are welcome regardless of where. Alot of us travel and would love to know where you had a good one at. Pictures are always a bonus.

Last edited:
Very subjective.

It used to be Massy's in Fort Worth, but I think they closed.

There are lots of places where you can get a steak out straight out of the freezer and gravy out of the can, but if you're in Fayette County try JB's in Camine for a good one near 290. Holman Valley is fair and close to I10. Murphy's in Winchester, home of a great hamburger, can consistantly ruin a Chicken Fried steak like no other restaurant. (The grease has to be hot guys!)

Current favorite is Cafe Dobre on the square in La Grange. Nothing in that steak has ever passed the doors of a Cysco warehouse. Be warned that the gravy is not that runny stuff. It's easy to find, right were Frank's used to be. Enjoy.

m

Downtown Cafe in Thorndale has a good chicken fried steak and sweetwife loves their chicken fried chicken....Louie marinates it for 24 hours before cooking.....:sun:

Worst was at Applebys recently.

I don't know if they are still open but there was a grainery converted to a restaurant in Crandell Texas that had a really good one. It is on 175 SE of Dallas.

There's some place up in Tomball that was recently on the food network as the best chicken fried stake in America. I haven't been up there to try it.

My favorite is Hungry Jacks down in Victoria. That one holds a lot of nostalgia for me also.

Texas Traditions here in Katy is pretty good. Definitely not the best, but better than chain restaurants.

I guess we ought to define what a chicken fried steak is. It ain't hamburger.

I don't know the cut and grind but it is more course.

My way-better half Elizabeth makes up a really wonderful Chicken fried steak also. The favorite away from home is Lu Lu's in San Antonio on main street. They serve one as big as a regular plate. I order mine with no gravy and it is good. Drew

Midway BBQ in Katy has a chicken fried rib-eye and it's pretty awesome...

Cattle Exchange in Canadian (Eastern Panhandle area) serves a chicken fried rib-eye that is great!!

Midway BBQ in Katy has a chicken fried rib-eye and it's pretty awesome...

I'll have to try it. I like Midway, but I think their BBQ is just kind of "meh".
Not bad, I'll eat it, there's just others I like much more. *cough*Rudy's*cough* :eat:

Yes sir, they do it pretty good there. The rolls ain't bad either or the fried catfish or the coconut cream pie and the apple pie had Blue Bell on it. . . :eat:

you sir are evil :lol2:, I had a puny lunch not long ago, but not I'm STARVED :rofl::eat:

Very subjective.

It used to be Massy's in Fort Worth, but I think they closed.

There are lots of places where you can get a steak out straight out of the freezer and gravy out of the can, but if you're in Fayette County try JB's in Camine for a good one near 290. Holman Valley is fair and close to I10. Murphy's in Winchester, home of a great hamburger, can consistantly ruin a Chicken Fried steak like no other restaurant. (The grease has to be hot guys!)

Current favorite is Cafe Dobre on the square in La Grange. Nothing in that steak has ever passed the doors of a Cysco warehouse. Be warned that the gravy is not that runny stuff. It's easy to find, right were Frank's used to be. Enjoy.

Yes Meriden most places pull it out of the freezer and into the hot oil it goes. They try to disguise the horrible cardboard taste with tons of luke warm cream gravy. Yuck we can get that anywhere people. Did you get pie with your burger? Thanks for all replies so far your making me hungry. Drew

Back