• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where is the BEST Chicken Fried Steak in Texas?

Goodson's cafe and very likely on the calander for 2013 pie runs. http://goodsonscafetomball.com/

Goodsons absolutely sucks these days , It was good 25 years ago but the owner retired and sold it . I havent been in there in years so I gave it a try a couple months ago and walked out very dissapointed , I will NOT be back . I think Luby's is probly better and I know the Cactus in Burton is better . SEYA

I'll have to try it. I like Midway, but I think their BBQ is just kind of "meh".
Not bad, I'll eat it, there's just others I like much more. *cough*Rudy's*cough* :eat:
I agree on Midway's BBQ. You get a lot, but there isn't much to brag about afterwards. When I want BBQ - and it's gotta be good - I head for Pop's in Brookshire. The place is a dump (literally), but it's the best BBQ I've ever had... :zen:

Mary's Cafe in Strawn TX is the best I have had. They serve small, medium, and large. The medium fills me at lunch so I cannot eat until breakfast the next day. The large covers a big oval platter so the sides come on a separate plate. Aside from the generous portions, they use real steak, not psuedo-ground beef. Each steak is breaded and pan fried with just the right salt and pepper spice. The gravy is wonderful. Just typing this makes me hungry.

Cotton Patch, in Lufkin. Don't know about others in the chain, but the Lufkin folks have it down pat!

Worst was at Applebys recently.

I don't know if they are still open but there was a grainery converted to a restaurant in Crandell Texas that had a really good one. It is on 175 SE of Dallas.

That is the Cotton Gin and yes it is still open. My son lives about 1/4 miles from there.

I agree with Ed29. I order the large and make 2 or 3 more meals from it. I don't normally eat french fries but I do @ Mary's. :eat::eat::eat:

Goodsons absolutely sucks these days , It was good 25 years ago but the owner retired and sold it . I havent been in there in years so I gave it a try a couple months ago and walked out very dissapointed

I had the same experience and will not recommend Goodsons.

Ditto on Mary's in Strawn. They pound the flour and seasoning into real round steak then it's pan fried. We should ride there. :rider::eat:

Z-Tejas Chicken Fried Ribeye in Austin. Gotta say, it is way, way, way good!

All this talk about Chicken Fried Steak... Guess where I ate tonight? Yep - Midway BBQ in Katy for a Chicken Fried Rib-eye. And it was REAL good!!!!

Linda's on the square in Granbury.
New place, open thurs-Sunday. Everything is made from scratch and worth the wait.

If y'all ever make it out this way you need to try the CFS at TEXAZ Grill in Phoenix. Big! Tender! Great batter. Great gravy. Great service. Small joint but always packed.

Whenever I need a little reminder of Tejas I just motor up there for some down home cooking. Over 810,000 CFS have been sold there since 1985.

8273968392_1eec042bec_b.jpg

Cafe Dobre owes me a CFS from when I did their install. I haven't had the time to sit down and eat one, but the owner sure talked it up.

If y'all ever make it out this way you need to try the CFS at TEXAZ Grill in Phoenix. Big! Tender! Great batter. Great gravy. Great service. Small joint but always packed.

Whenever I need a little reminder of Tejas I just motor up there for some down home cooking. Over 810,000 CFS have been sold there since 1985.

8273968392_1eec042bec_b.jpg

The owner there is my next door neighbor in the desert north of Terlingua. We finally met after I have had the place for two years. We were always there at different times. Say 'Hi' to Steve for me next time you eat there.

There's some place up in Tomball that was recently on the food network as the best chicken fried stake in America. I haven't been up there to try it.

My favorite is Hungry Jacks down in Victoria. That one holds a lot of nostalgia for me also.

Texas Traditions here in Katy is pretty good. Definitely not the best, but better than chain restaurants.

I spent many an hour drinking myself silly at Hungry Jacks. Didn't even know they served food.;-)

I remember when Jack Bowman opened up the Orange Julius and a head shop in the late '60's. Afterward he opened Hungry Jacks.

I vote for JAKES in Waco, located on Austin Ave between 6th & 7th Street. Opened 6 or 7 months ago and is always full. Has a garage theme, serves selected meals &/or sides in hubcabs (real ones), family style in evenings but not at lunch.

Have eaten there approx 5 times (twices was CFS) and it was great. Good desserts too!

Lol Hungry Jacks still has a Pretty Good Chicken Fried Steak.. Not much else in this town to compare it to though..

Hills in Austin
Sometimes very good and other times just average, we quit going there in the last year of living in Austin, they seemed to go down hill quickly. Hopefully they have righted the ship.

I never did find a chicken fry in Texas than was better than the places that I grew up going to in OKC. I certainly haven't found one near as good as either Oklahoma or Texas here in Colorado. I need to try and pry the recipe out of a friends mind for a place that he used to work at in OKC.

I'm a non-traditional type.

My favorite is the green chili & cheese covered CFS at the Shady Grove in Austin.

Have not eaten there in over a year,but super nice outside dining. My stomach will not allow the chili and cheese mix. I think I may have had one there before but do not remember 100%. On set of old age I guess. Even the restrooms are cool at The Shady. They are in a old converted and polished travel trailer. Austin ROCKS! Ride hard die poor. Drew

Back