• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where is the BEST Chicken Fried Steak in Texas?

For those who wish to make it on their own, this is a recipe from a friend of mine who worked for a well known Chicken Fry place In Oklahoma City for a lot of years.

Chicken Fried Steak
Cube steak
Flour
Pepper
Salt
Buttermilk
Deep fryer

I'm still tweaking the portions, but here is what I have so far (and this is for our large family. A good starting point, then you can adjust to your taste

8 cups flour
1/2 cup salt, (back before MSG was evil, we used that too)
1/4 cup pepper, I use a little more

Pour your buttermilk in a bowl

For dipping the steak into I use a square container to mix the salt, pepper and flour in

Dip your steak in the buttermilk then place it in the flour and flip it, then just start putting it on with your hands and rub it in, you can dip it in the buttermilk an extra time and repeat to make it crispier

Cook in the deep fryer for 4:30- 5 minutes, until it's nice and crispy

Yes the best place to get CFS is at the house. My wife is a wonderful cook and she is the one that got me started on the home-made ones. Before I just bought them pre-made from a company I was working at. I do like trying them at dinners but many places they taste no better than a Swanson TV dinner. That is the reason for the thread to narrow it down some. Thanks for posting many will give it a whirl I bet. Drew

Man I was so looking forward to this run but will be stuck at work. Even bought some new stuff to try out during camping. Thanks Jay hopefully catch you at another run. Yes let us all know if the CFS measures up.:photo: Drew

Sorry, I wimped out due to the rain. My knee is still a little iffy since my incident back in May and I didn't want to take any chances; especially with the Colorado ride coming up next month. Good news is I made my neighbors happy and got my yards done.

Well, I just got home from Threadgill's (until yesterday, I thought there was only one, so you can figure out which one I mean) and had to remark about how good the CFS was. It was not a gristly piece of meat - uniformly tender. I had mashed potatoes (white gravy on everything, naturally) and stewed okra and tomatoes sides. Delicious.

Hope you get better soon.....

My father went through that in 2004-05, it is rough and he is not the same when it comes to food that he can eat. Told him it was a rough way to lose weight.

I also had one the partners at the first firm that I worked at in Austin have it again while I was working there, he had it rough for the second go round. He passed away last year and was only 5 years older than me (he was 54).

I am so confused on my illness. I have paperwork that says do not eat this and that. Then my wife looks up info on the internet and it says I can eat all those things. Mine from the doctor says no seeds period,no nuts like peanuts,no strawberries,no pickles,cucumbers,poppy seeds,tomato,corn,so on and so on. Guess more research is in order. Yes my diet is different than before had to give up things I liked eating. But not CFS thank God! Still having issues today just when I thought I was getting better this weekend kicked my rear.

Back to CFS. I need to try Threadgills again the one on Lamar Me and my wife went to and the CFS there was awful. That was years ago but I have heard good things about them. New cook or ?? but take my word it was bad. My wife even got embarrassed when I was asked how it tasted and was honest about it. Off day or something I guess. Will sample it next month when we make the Austin run. Drew

I am so confused on my illness. I have paperwork that says do not eat this and that. Then my wife looks up info on the internet and it says I can eat all those things. Mine from the doctor says no seeds period,no nuts like peanuts,no strawberries,no pickles,cucumbers,poppy seeds,tomato,corn,so on and so on. Guess more research is in order. Yes my diet is different than before had to give up things I liked eating. But not CFS thank God! Still having issues today just when I thought I was getting better this weekend kicked my rear.
My father's diet was severely limited when he had a colostomy bag for six months, after his plumbing was "re-connected" his diet went back to what it was before although he would feel full much more quickly since he had about a foot and a half of small intestine and a almost foot of large intestine removed. As he got back into eating "normal" he found certain foods that he used to eat would just tear him now, like iceberg lettuce, he can have most other types of lettuce but can't have iceberg.

My father's diet was severely limited when he had a colostomy bag for six months, after his plumbing was "re-connected" his diet went back to what it was before although he would feel full much more quickly since he had about a foot and a half of small intestine and a almost foot of large intestine removed. As he got back into eating "normal" he found certain foods that he used to eat would just tear him now, like iceberg lettuce, he can have most other types of lettuce but can't have iceberg.

Since I found out I have it even foods I can have a times will give me issues. Every year for Christmas I would get a big can of cashews and I love them. Not any more.:tears: I almost got the operation but at the last day I cleared up,they sent me home after a week straight in the hospital. It is not fun and would not wish it on anyone. Mine seems worse every year it reoccurs. The first big attack I thought I was going to die. Never knew I could throw up so much.:puke: Drew

Ate at the Feed Mill in Gatesville for lunch Sunday with a fellow TWT member. My chicken fried steak was below par,the mash taters were served cold,but the tea was spot on. Cold just like the taters! They had beef tips on special which were also not up to their regular cooking skills. They are only open three hours on Sunday so that might be the problem or just an off day. Was not as good as the two or three times I have eaten there before. Heck I am forgiving and will try them again but during the week not Sunday. Service was good and my glass stayed full.

Any other new places that just opened up in your area for good Chicken Fried Steak?

Until last week I would argued that the original Kelly's on Park Place Blvd. was the best. Now I find it to be mediocre. Yes, they still serve it yellow gravy and yeast rolls but it wasn't quite what I remembered when I worked in the area for a number of years.
The best I've had this year was the chicken fried antelope steak at the Starlight in Terlingua.

Until last week I would argued that the original Kelly's on Park Place Blvd. was the best. Now I find it to be mediocre. Yes, they still serve it yellow gravy and yeast rolls but it wasn't quite what I remembered when I worked in the area for a number of years.
The best I've had this year was the chicken fried antelope steak at the Starlight in Terlingua.

Do they serve the antelope CFS with cream gravy or brown? Sounds interesting never had antelope before. Never even thought of a different kind of meat for them. Don't know if I will ever get the chance to get that way but if I do will order one and see.

The owner there is my next door neighbor in the desert north of Terlingua. We finally met after I have had the place for two years. We were always there at different times. Say 'Hi' to Steve for me next time you eat there.

I tried, but he left on vacation this morning.

Ok, yesterday first big ride since April shoulder break and surgery. Rode from Temple to Airville to pick up coworker and our boss and his wife. Sailorman was with us. Went to Sissys at Cameron for CFS. It was great! Had green beans and sticky potatoes with a roll. Peach cobbler or bread pudding for dessert.

The ride was tiring for me but it felt good to be back in the saddle again. Everyday is an improvement and closer to goal.

Ok, yesterday first big ride since April shoulder break and surgery. Rode from Temple to Airville to pick up coworker and our boss and his wife. Sailorman was with us. Went to Sissys at Cameron for CFS. It was great! Had green beans and sticky potatoes with a roll. Peach cobbler or bread pudding for dessert.

The ride was tiring for me but it felt good to be back in the saddle again. Everyday is an improvement and closer to goal.

Glad to hear that you are back in the saddle again. Humm song while reading. Did you take pics of the CFS,you know that is mandatory!:lol2::eat::photo:

A few of us ate at Handlebars Food and Saloon in Silverton, CO after a ride through a couple of trails in the Rockies not far out of Ouray Thursday and I had their CFS. Not the best, but very edible, especially after going through the switch-backs of the Corkscrew trail. Sorry Drew, I was so hungry, 3/4 of it was gone when I thought I should have taken a picture. I would recommend it if you're in Silverton. White gravy was decent and not runny. Meat cut was tender with no gristle.

A few of us ate at Handlebars Food and Saloon in Silverton, CO after a ride through a couple of trails in the Rockies not far out of Ouray Thursday and I had their CFS. Not the best, but very edible, especially after going through the switch-backs of the Corkscrew trail. Sorry Drew, I was so hungry, 3/4 of it was gone when I thought I should have taken a picture. I would recommend it if you're in Silverton. White gravy was decent and not runny. Meat cut was tender with no gristle.

Missing a chicken fried steak bad but missing a CFS in Silverton is as bad as missing me do the "big shoe dance" in Ouray!:rofl:

Stopped by "The Diner" in Paonia, CO on the way to Delta from Crested Butte. I hate to say it, but we have a strong challenger to the Longhorn in Bryan. I could cut the meat with my fork effortlessly, awesome brown gravy, tea glass never got below half full, and really great pecan pie with ice cream. $16 including desert and tip.

image_zpsba36eac5.jpg

Stopped by "The Diner" in Paonia, CO on the way to Delta from Crested Butte. I hate to say it, but we have a strong challenger to the Longhorn in Bryan. I could cut the meat with my fork effortlessly, awesome brown gravy, tea glass never got below half full, and really great pecan pie with ice cream. $16 including desert and tip.

image_zpsba36eac5.jpg

We can meet at the Longhorn and compare them when you get back.

The best I've had (so far) was at The Butcher Shop in Longview. Very good, good portions, fresh made, and a good potato bar with lots of stuff for the baked potato ( mmmmmm, cheese! LOL ). :eat:
They also have a pretty good burger, and fresh baked cakes, cookies and more. :giveup:

Then, I would put in a vote for Cotton Patch. For a chain, I think they're good, but if you go on Wed. night, be prepared to wait a long time. (Wed. is $5.99 CFS night.)

In Tyler, Sweet Sue's isn't bad, and their CFS is part of the all-you-can-eat buffet. For me, that's a lot of CFS! :lol2:

For steak steaks, there was/is a place in McKinney, just off 380, I think near College St. called The Road House (NOT Texas Road House - home of the over-priced mediocre food with horrible service).
They had the best Jalepeno Steak! Seriously, it was the best steak I have ever eaten in my life! :eat:

The best I've had (so far) was at The Butcher Shop in Longview. Very good, good portions, fresh made, and a good potato bar with lots of stuff for the baked potato ( mmmmmm, cheese! LOL ). :eat:
They also have a pretty good burger, and fresh baked cakes, cookies and more. :giveup:

Then, I would put in a vote for Cotton Patch. For a chain, I think they're good, but if you go on Wed. night, be prepared to wait a long time. (Wed. is $5.99 CFS night.)

In Tyler, Sweet Sue's isn't bad, and their CFS is part of the all-you-can-eat buffet. For me, that's a lot of CFS! :lol2:

For steak steaks, there was/is a place in McKinney, just off 380, I think near College St. called The Road House (NOT Texas Road House - home of the over-priced mediocre food with horrible service).
They had the best Jalepeno Steak! Seriously, it was the best steak I have ever eaten in my life! :eat:

Man that is a long way away from me but if I am in that neck of the woods I will give it a try. Next time you go make sure to post a picture of your CFS to tempt hungry eaters.

Why bless yo' little pea-picking heart! I'd like to try it at home. But love learning about where the best "ride-to" chicken-fried steak restaurants are. :clap::rider:

This pic is from the Hanging Tree in Goliad,Texas. I do not recommend this one it was not good. The fries and bread was right on,but the CFS had a odd seasoning to it and was over cooked. They were nice enough to not charge for it but I don't think that I will give it another try. Even my wives alfredo chicken was burnt. Sad that a nice place like this over cooks their food. Could be an off day or something. The regular steaks did look good on others plates.

100_6146-002_zps772eda93.jpg

Why bless yo' little pea-picking heart! I'd like to try it at home. But love learning about where the best "ride-to" chicken-fried steak restaurants are. :clap::rider:

You have one in your back yard Hickory Hollow. The best so far have been Longhorn in Bryan and Lu Lu's in San Antoinio.

Well, if the rain is over and the streets dry up a bit, MY6 and I may ride over to Hickory Hollow in the Heights later this afternoon and try their chicken fried steak.

It'd be nice to have a "lunch ride" over to Hickory Hollow on a regular basis. Any riders in central Houston area who are retired or otherwise have weekday riding privileges interested in meeting for lunch occasionally?

:flip: :eat3:

Well, if the rain is over and the streets dry up a bit, MY6 and I may ride over to Hickory Hollow in the Heights later this afternoon and try their chicken fried steak.

It'd be nice to have a "lunch ride" over to Hickory Hollow on a regular basis. Any riders in central Houston area who are retired or otherwise have weekday riding privileges interested in meeting for lunch occasionally?

:flip: :eat3:

They have more than just CFS of course. BBQ,chicken,steaks,salads,even a combo meal with two to four meat samples that will surely fill the heartiest appetite. The gravy is different so get it on the side. I think it is called river bottom gravy and that is what it looks like!:lol2: There is a pic in here of my CFS from them if you go back a little to find it. Comes out on a pizza pan and that was not the largest one they have! Enjoy and post your food pics here if you care to share. Post #327 for Hickory Hollow food picture.

Well, it was still raining so we took the truck. Ordered the smallest Chicken Fried Steak and it was fairly gynormous so I'm glad we didn't upgrade. Like you said, KP, the gravy came on the side and looked like river bottom, but it tasted pretty good. Next time I'm bringing some rubber non-slip grip stuff to put under my pizza pan. It kept scooting around while I ate. We'll go back on the motorcycles for sure and try some of the other stuff. Thanks for the recommendation! :eat: :clap:

Back