• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where is the BEST Chicken Fried Steak in Texas?

Thanks. Hope to have some free time this evening to check one out.

It has been a bagillion years ago, but I think I remember a place, may be it was called the Greeley Stock Yard or something like that. The steaks still moo'ed. Greeley used to be where there were a lot of cattle ranches.

I found it, it is called the Cattlemens Steakhouse ... it's been a lot of years.

[ame="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cattlemen's+Steak+House+%26+Saloon,+West+11th+Street+Road,+Greeley,+CO,+North+America&hl=en&ll=40.42204,-104.722881&spn=0.010275,0.01929&sll=40.423314,-104.709132&sspn=0.328793,0.617294&oq=The+Cattlem&t=m&hq=Cattlemen's+Steak+House+%26+Saloon,&hnear=W+11th+Street+Rd,+Greeley,+Weld,+Colorado+80634&z=16&iwloc=A"]The Cattlemens Steakhouse[/ame]

Last edited:
Wow your way up there. Just looked at a map. Hope that it is not cold that way yet. If you find a good spot fill us in on it. In the early stages of planning a trip sometime in the summer next year. Gearing up and crossing fingers on my left hand that it all comes about.

Wow your way up there. Just looked at a map. Hope that it is not cold that way yet. If you find a good spot fill us in on it. In the early stages of planning a trip sometime in the summer next year. Gearing up and crossing fingers on my left hand that it all comes about.

Greeley doesn't usually get that cold this early. First snow is end of October or first of November and it doesn't stay very long. But what it does do is blow, my man Jay had better hold onto his hat. :-)

Greeley isn't a tourist destination either ... just sayin'

Being the Gulf Coast person I am, anything below 60 degrees is cold to me. It's been in the high 40s / low 50s in the mornings and Joe definitely called it on the wind. What's even better is the customer's computer room can't be much above 40 degrees and just as breezy as outdoors. 30 minutes in there and there's not too many body parts that aren't completely numb. Thanks for the suggestion Joe, heading there now for some breakfast/lunch/dinner. Also as Joe mentioned, the natural aroma would make a farm boy homesick.

Looks like they don't open until 4:00 pm (43 minutes yet). This Mexican food place across the street that has the "Hottest Green Chili in Town" is looking really good. But, since I'm flying to Phoenix tomorrow, I'll give the other passengers a break and wait for the steakhouse.

Out here in California.When you find a place thats sells CFS its the frozen kind. But i was a cook at the Original Black-Eyed-Pea on Camp Bowie in Ft.Worth in the 70's. So i just make my own until i get back to Texas.

Excellent recommendation Joe! Awesome CFS that had a super thin, fine crust similar to what I've seen on Parmesan Chicken in better Italian restaurants. Not spicy, but extremely good. Meat could be cut with a fork. On top of it all, it was served by the most beautiful waitress (Leah) I've ever had. She could easily be the twin sister of the actress April Bowlby who played Candy on Two and a Half Men. I didn't want to freak her out by asking to take her photo; think she thought I was strange enough taking a picture of my food. Google her and you'll see what I mean.

Missing from the picture below is the salad from the salad bar. Steak, loaded bake potato, soup and salad bar with both sour dough and pumpernickle bread (all you want), and ice tea was $18.45. I wouldn't call it a "high end" restaurant, but definitely a super nice place. If you ae ever lost in Greeley, Colorado, stop here (Cattlemen's Steak House and Saloon).

cfs_zps55a0b008.png

Excellent recommendation Joe! Awesome CFS that had a super thin, fine crust similar to what I've seen on Parmesan Chicken in better Italian restaurants. Not spicy, but extremely good. Meat could be cut with a fork. On top of it all, it was served by the most beautiful waitress (Leah) I've ever had. She could easily be the twin sister of the actress April Bowlby who played Candy on Two and a Half Men. I didn't want to freak her out by asking to take her photo; think she thought I was strange enough taking a picture of my food. Google her and you'll see what I mean.

Missing from the picture below is the salad from the salad bar. Steak, loaded bake potato, soup and salad bar with both sour dough and pumpernickle bread (all you want), and ice tea was $18.45. I wouldn't call it a "high end" restaurant, but definitely a super nice place. If you ae ever lost in Greeley, Colorado, stop here (Cattlemen's Steak House and Saloon).

cfs_zps55a0b008.png

Looks good but expensive,noticed that last year when we were in Colorado especially the gas prices.

Yes, it was pricey and I believe it was due to the type of place it is - a lower high-end style place. Good thing is I'm on expenses so it didn't cost me anything plus the waitress was so good looking, I wasn't paying much attention to anything else.:trust:

Out here in California.When you find a place thats sells CFS its the frozen kind. But i was a cook at the Original Black-Eyed-Pea on Camp Bowie in Ft.Worth in the 70's. So i just make my own until i get back to Texas.

Harris Ranch in Coalinga had some pretty good steaks, as I remember, but the last time I ate there it seemed to have gone downhill a little. Besides, it had the same olfactory appeal as Greely! :-)

atu9u5a2.jpg
Well, MY6 & I are back at Hickory Hollow in Houston for CFS. Just noticed they have an open back porch that would allow us to keep an eye on our motorpickles. Might have to start a Tuesday night CFS meet up here. :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Well, MY6 & I are back at Hickory Hollow in Houston for CFS. Just noticed they have an open back porch that would allow us to keep an eye on our motorpickles. Might have to start a Tuesday night CFS meet up here. :D

Don't forget pictures of all the grub.:photo::photo::photo:

Oops...I was SO hungry I started eating before snapping pics. Here's a close up of what's left of mine. The grilled zucchini is yum (& gone)!

Dang it! I took a shot of my plate but the upload canceled & I lost it. You can see the plate above.

atu9u5a2.jpg

How did you like it TravelDiva?

Just had a GREAT CFS meal at the Dixie Cafe in Hearne! $8.49 for the "small " meal that included two sides. Piping hot with great country gravy, green beans and corn bread. I give it a Kojack five stars!

Just had a GREAT CFS meal at the Dixie Cafe in Hearne! $8.49 for the "small " meal that included two sides. Piping hot with great country gravy, green beans and corn bread. I give it a Kojack five stars!

:photo::photo::photo:Open Sundays? You makin' it to Gatesville Sunday?

:photo::photo::photo:Open Sundays? You makin' it to Gatesville Sunday?

I think they are open on Sunday. Took out of town guests to the San Jacinto battlefield, the Texas Museum ship and the George Bush Library. Babara Bush happened to stop in at the library while we were there buy we did not see her. The battleship was great although it was hard getting around her with mending broken shoulder. We were not on bikes.

Will make next dinner.

I think they are open on Sunday. Took out of town guests to the San Jacinto battlefield, the Texas Museum ship and the George Bush Library. Babara Bush happened to stop in at the library while we were there buy we did not see her. The battleship was great although it was hard getting around her with mending broken shoulder. We were not on bikes.

Will make next dinner.

They are. Kojack06 are they good enough to do a meet and greet at? Food and room wise? Thanks Drew

There is a Utopia!!! Lost Maples in Utopia,Texas had a pretty good chicken fried steak and fixings. No room for desert but I have had a slice of the chocolate pie before and it is excellent. Sweet ice tea is good also. Looking forward to getting there once again and try something else. My better half had a burger and my salad from my meal and liked the taste of both. The CFS was not the best I have ever had but was still good and seasoned.

100_8157-001_zpsf5f59e78.jpg

Last edited:
Back