• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where is the BEST Chicken Fried Steak in Texas?

My6 and I are headed out to the Kerrville area to ride the Twisted Sisters this weekend. Any recommendations for good CFS NB or other good food in that area?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My6 and I are headed out to the Kerrville area to ride the Twisted Sisters this weekend. Any recommendations for good CFS NB or other good food in that area?

Lost Maples cafe in Utopia,Texas has a decent CFS. There is a post on here somewhere with me chowing down on their CFS. Found it page 22 on this thread. Alamo Springs near Fredericksburg for burgers is darn good.

100_8157-001_zpsf5f59e78.jpg

Ginas thread for road condtions.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109852

Last edited:
Thanks KSP!

If you get down far enough south to ConCan, Neal's Dining Room at Neal's Lodge has some awesome food. I had a big lunch when riding out that way with some others and wasn't able to handle a CFS when we got there for dinner, but really wanted one. Just had a cheeseburger and it was one of the best I've had. Everybody was real happy with the quality of their food. I believe it was on 39 in Hunt we stopped in a BBQ place that had some really good cuts of meat. I can't remember the name and can't seem to find it on the map. Seemed like every place we stopped when riding out there had good food.

If you get down far enough south to ConCan, Neal's Dining Room at Neal's Lodge has some awesome food. I had a big lunch when riding out that way with some others and wasn't able to handle a CFS when we got there for dinner, but really wanted one. Just had a cheeseburger and it was one of the best I've had. Everybody was real happy with the quality of their food. I believe it was on 39 in Hunt we stopped in a BBQ place that had some really good cuts of meat. I can't remember the name and can't seem to find it on the map. Seemed like every place we stopped when riding out there had good food.
I'll keep Neal's in mind if we get that far. Thanks!

Hickory Hollow in Houston...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcDWOocX2do"]outrageous2011.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Ron HH has good CFS. Comes out on a pizza platter! There is a picture of the one I chowed down on in theis thread somewhere.

Hickory Hollow in Houston...

outrageous2011.wmv - YouTube

Went back and dug around to find it. Ron page 17 #327. Hickory Hollow has more than just CFS. BBQ,salad, chicken,ETC. Pretty good place to chow down. I was the only one that had the CFS. Enough for two people. I think everyone else had Q.

7121d993-784b-4785-b4fe-c140e7cf4ef1_zps2e7ae73a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I believe they call that one "The Saddle Blanket" on the menu. :lol2:

Not a CFS expert but JayJay's Cafe at I20/Little Rd is pretty good. They have homemade pie too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a CFS expert but JayJay's Cafe at I20/Little Rd is pretty good. They have homemade pie too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that near Kerrville?

Is that near Kerrville?

Sorry, I should have been more descriptive. It's about 12 min from my home in Arlington. They make great pan fries too. Never tried their pies but they look good. Old folks seem to go there and the wife would probably prefer going somewhere else. :doh:

Sorry, I should have been more descriptive. It's about 12 min from my home in Arlington. They make great pan fries too. Never tried their pies but they look good. Old folks seem to go there and the wife would probably prefer going somewhere else. :doh:
Good to know! We will be doing the Scottish Festival & Highland Games in May and I'll keep that place in mind while we're in Arlington.

Lu Lus on main in San Antonio was good last time I was there. Hard to get a spot now that they have been on TV.:doh:

Cranfills Gap Cafe

$9
Was pretty good steak.
Cut it with my fork.

CFS_CranGapCafe_01.jpg

Had a good one at J@M in Gatesville Sunday. Sorry no pics. Had get this real mashed taters. Sunday special is $9.50 with two side roll and pudding. It was good and the banana variety.

Not sure if I posted about this one or not; but we went to the Pipeline Grill on Spencer in Pasadena tonight. Got loaded mashed potatoes (cheese, large dolip of butter, bacon bits, and chives - 99¢ extra (regular mashed potatoes are no charge)) and substituted a side salad (99¢ extra also) for sides. Also came with a piece of Texas toast and had iced tea. Total was just over $17 without tip. Steak was good and mostly tender. Two small end pieces were a little stringy. Gravy had a good flavor to it as well. Having grown up in south Louisiana, I like to spice mine up with a little Tabasco. Potatoes were outstanding and well worth the extra 99¢ - was like a twice baked potato. There are two locations; one in Baytown off of Garth Road and this one on Spencer in Pasadena close to Hwy 146. Have been to both and never got a bad meal. Good service - my tea never got half empty.

steak_zpskgoezwtf.jpg

Edit - Well, I guess I did post about this before back on page 34. Still a good place even though it's a little pricey; but about average for the Houston area.

Last edited:
I ate at The Feed Mill in Gatesville and had the steak fingers which are less expensive than the CFS. The fingers have one side instead of two so only $9.95. Will try to post a pic tonight. Also had a decent burger and hand-cut fries later that night at Shortys.

About 20-30 Chicken fried steaks reviews behind. Sorry AT@T battles still. Here is one from last year that sadly was a stinker. For as costly as they are at the Ole Miner steak house in Gunnison you would figure that these would be home-made. Think it is a frozen food truck patty. Now there steaks are wonderful but skip the CFS and stick to the regular beef or fish.
DSCN1617-001_zpsv7nlhnbc.jpg

DSCN1618-001_zpsxgzzjyci.jpg

Last edited:
Have a new favorite. Granny Clarks in Dublin. Went there Sunday with my brother who was in town visiting. Had the all you can eat buffet. The Chicken fried steak was amazing. Had to over do it and had two pieces. The most tender that I have had all year. No gristle not chewy just tender quality pieces of meat. Sorry no picks was too busy enjoying the food and visiting.

I am cross eyed from looking for a good chicken fried steak in 36 pages of posts. We need a map! Last CFS I ate was at Chili's and it was terrible. Sad cause they USED to make them pretty ok.

Then there was the old grainery in Crandall that had a great CFS and good collards. Gone.

It's OK, I'll be on the road soon and I know where to find good CFS along all the major roads in Texas.

SL350, hit up "The Bulls Pen" just off 80 at the East Fork Rd exit and let me know what you think.

OK, This is a 7 year old post.
My Grandma hammered T-Bones and then fried them in her chicken mix. She made gravy from the remains in the skillet. Add in fresh green beans and home grown taters...can't be beat. rh

Back