• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where is the BEST Chicken Fried Steak in Texas?

I was at the old fishpond today Friday March the 8. I will have to say I'am staying with Hickory Hollow in Houston. When it comes to chicken fried steak.

Last edited:
Map started.
feedback welcome before I put any more time in it. KISS people; I've probably already made it more complicated that it needs to be.

updated 3/9:
To location, add, who posted, website, date
CFS rating: 1=Red, 2=orange, 3=yellow, 4=blue, 5=green. 5 is best

Some ratings are best guess, as the description is fuzzy as to the level of quality.
I'm four years back, so I'm going to stop. Restaurant's quality have a way of changing fast, so if you have a current favorite that you've recently visited, get 'er done.

Last edited:
I might suggest to put a date on each comment for any given restaurant
That way the quality of the meal could be tracked over time showing either improvements...sameness/goodness... or...heaven forbid...worsening quality

Unless you have a reason for the colors, Green is normally GO Yellow being a "Caution" Red being a STOP or lower end, either way is probably find as long as we have a legend to follow.

I might suggest to put a date on each comment for any given restaurant
That way the quality of the meal could be tracked over time showing either improvements...sameness/goodness... or...heaven forbid...worsening quality
Going forward, good idea. Not going back

Unless you have a reason for the colors, Green is normally GO Yellow being a "Caution" Red being a STOP or lower end, either way is probably find as long as we have a legend to follow.
OK. Po ta to, po tah to. I'll change it. Legend is in the map details at top of map legend - click 3 dots, map details. That's on the 'pooter. Not sure about phone. phone's a whole 'nother animal.

Last edited:
Your Mom's in Smithville has a killer CFS, hand breaded when you order. Size of a platter, family run, friendly folks. This is a fried version, rather than panfried or cooked on a flat top. http://eatatyourmoms.com

You could limit the work load and just put the good, above avg and Best on the map, maybe not mention the ones below that.
Or just list 1 & 2

1. Best
  2. Above Avg (Good +)
  3. Good

Your Mom's in Smithville has a killer CFS, hand breaded when you order. Size of a platter, family run, friendly folks. This is a fried version, rather than panfried or cooked on a flat top. http://eatatyourmoms.com
added to map.

You could limit the work load and just put the good, above avg and Best on the map, maybe not mention the ones below that.
Or just list 1 & 2

1. Best
  2. Above Avg (Good +)
  3. Good

I'd want to know about the bad places, too, because I wouldn't want to waste my money. EVERYBODY can update/add to the map, so have at it.
CFS rating: 1=Red, 2=orange, 3=yellow, 4=blue, 5=green. 5 is best

Tourmiester needs another tutorial. I can get the map with stars but nothing else. Tough being old and not techy

Are you saying the map is complete and up somewhere? If so I don't know where to look.

Great I see it and thanks for putting this together, maybe the link can be posted in the first post.

Seems to me like kickstand~prophet started this thread, thus he has the responsibility to report and rate them. Considering that he started this thread in November of 2012, he really doesn't have any excuses for not having tried them all by now. ;)

I am so far behind on my reviews I might have to force myself to revisit all the spots to refresh my memory.:deal:

I love y’all resurrecting these old threads. I need to read it through to see if it’s mentioned, but my buddy picked a nice paved road trip, farm roads and windies up to Suttuns in Sonora last fall. The ride made the trip but I’ll go back anytime I get the chance for the Chicken fried steak as long as I’m on 2 wheels.

I have been derelict of my duty on the reviews. Life/work kinda got in the way.:help:

Grif's in China Spring TX has the best chicken fried steak and was featured in the Taste of TX magazine. Of course mine is really the best but they are a close 2nd. Enjoy.

Back