• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where The Rubber Meets The Road - Crested Butte hellacious haul home August 2019

Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Last Name
Phillips
Trailer Tire Story 3 (click this link for story)
If you have ten minutes, you might enjoy this comedy of errors trailering a Hog back from Colorado. Chock full of life lessons. 🤪

Cotopaxi Store.jpg
20190804_085700.jpg
delam tire.jpg
shredded tire.jpg

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM_DPjs9xyegZ77-sKP-i873Ji6LvMj9SE7NEG8
20190727_111922.jpg

Good story.

I've blown trailer tires on too many stretches of road between Arlington and Crested Butte, and along other routes. We once had to change a trailer blow-out in Spring Creek Pass (between Lake City and Creede). And while crawling around changing that tire, I discovered the other tire was worn through on the inside. We limped into the Marshall Park NF campground and set up the trailer; the next day, I drove to Alamosa to buy two tires - one mounted on the now-spare rim, and the other to carry just in case.

And I definitely know Cotopaxi and the Sinclair station. I've driven & ridden that shortcut many times. Weirdly, there's a sheriff's car that sometimes runs radar along that little stretch of road. You wouldn't think there'd be enough business to make it worth their while. But hey, Colorado cops love those Texas plates.......

Good times. I fought a trailer with a bent axle back from Colorado one time. That trip cost me four tires and I flipped them around on the rim twice because they were wearing the inside edge. I always carry 2 spares if i'm going very far from home. My friend Johnny always reminds me "Experience is a tough teacher, you get the test first then the lesson."

Last time I fought tires I had alittle bit of weight to deal with.

Went to haul a propane tank off, on the way back one tire delamitated on sh130 about 15 minutes from Seguin. On a sunday. Pulled on shoulder to check it out, decided that wasn't a safe place to unload a tractor and change a tire I found the nearest side road. Once I got there I heard a hissing and found during that time on the shoulder, I picked up a nail in another tire.

The delamitated tire was still holding air, so I replaced the nail inhabited tire with the spare and limped the last 40 miles home at 25mph.

We have two trailer spares now
d537f791b116c94811ff43d12721591f.jpg

Last time I fought tires I had alittle bit of weight to deal with.

Went to haul a propane tank off, on the way back one tire delamitated on sh130 about 15 minutes from Seguin. On a sunday. Pulled on shoulder to check it out, decided that wasn't a safe place to unload a tractor and change a tire I found the nearest side road. Once I got there I heard a hissing and found during that time on the shoulder, I picked up a nail in another tire.

The delamitated tire was still holding air, so I replaced the nail inhabited tire with the spare and limped the last 40 miles home at 25mph.

We have two trailer spares nowView attachment 241142
How does that 5.7L in your Tundra handle that load? That looks like a pretty good test! Man, I think I could've pulled a house behind my '07 Tundra. :thumb: That V8 was a beast - never felt it labor under almost any load.

Ten ply tires on my trailer now , I only carry one spare these days . They run 10 degrees warmer than ambient temperature unless they are on the sunny side than about 25 degree . I check temps every time I stop and this trip my new timkin bearings never got above 95 degrees even after a long down hill breaking .

Back