• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where to Trailer and Ride in July?

Reaction score
Losing all the Spring trips have me going stir crazy these days and I need to get away for a little bit. Normally, I like to ride to my destination, but with the heat as it is right now, I'm considering throwing a bike or two on the trailer and going somewhere. I'm trying to figure out where though.

My initial thought was northern NM, but Flipit let me know that I'm not welcome there right now. So that made me think Colorado.

I've never ridden up there before, so I don't have any frame of reference. My uninformed idea is to find a hotel around Pagosa Springs, trailer there and do daily out and backs with that as a base camp.

Is that the best option for now? I was thinking I could ride into northern NM one day and ride around southern CO other days. Seem like a good plan? Or is there something better?

I'm a big fan of green (trees, grass) and don't like desert terrain, if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Are you talking paved or unpaved, or a combo? If you hang out in Gunnison, you can cruise through the Black Canyon, or run up and down the COBDR down to Lake City. Also there is a big-o-loop up through Carbondale, over to Vail, down to Salida, back over to Gunnison. Later you could hit 141 over toward the Utah border.

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
I didn't say you weren't welcome in NM, that WEBSITE said you aren't welcome. Apparently there are plenty of people going over there with no issues. But it would sure be a drag to haul all your crap up there and have to turn around and go home. I'm hoping that doesn't happen to me in Colorado in August.

Liteitup

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I usually haul to Raton(maybe Trinidad with the quarantine) , spend a night or two in Gunnison, a night or two in Ouray, some other random place or two, back to Raton, haul back to Texas.

RJ2

Reaction score
Drove to Ruidoso a couple of weeks ago with the wife. Lots of dirt bikes riding around and you can make it in a day.

Colorado is better perhaps ....... my plan is to go street riding there next month. Good luck.

Reaction score
First Name
Lane
Last Name
Turner
I didn't say you weren't welcome in NM, that WEBSITE said you aren't welcome. Apparently there are plenty of people going over there with no issues. But it would sure be a drag to haul all your crap up there and have to turn around and go home. I'm hoping that doesn't happen to me in Colorado in August.

When we were there a month ago, the State may not have welcomed us but the business owners sure did.

Reaction score
First Name
David
We are headed to NM on Wed Morning. Staying and riding Sante Fe/Taos and then wake up early Thur and making it to Durango. From there we will ride some single track and some passes. Staying in Telluride or maybe somewhere else along the way. Hotels aren't full but RV spots are. I haven't heard of anyone being forcefully quarantined in NM or any state. My wife is from NM and that's where she and the kiddo are going for some R&R. She still has friends there and they told her Hotels and restaurants Need the business and are welcoming folks from anywhere. Lots of Texans in Colorado. Don't be worried about NM unless you ride like a Hooligan. I have several friends that still ride that way on the slab and the law always seems to pick on them.

Reaction score
With my luck, this would be me:

"Individuals who do not comply with the self-isloation and self-quaratine directives set forth above shall be subject to involuntary isolation or quarantine by the New Mexico Department of Health under the Public Health Emergency Response Act."

Jul 7, 2020 | Department of Transportation, Other Affected Services

SANTA FE – The state of New Mexico is under a mandatory health advisory issued by Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham to protect against the spread of COVID-19.
Anyone crossing a border into the state must adhere to the New Mexico public health travel restrictions as outlined in Executive Order 2020-054, seen here, until further notice.

Texasrider58

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
David
In the fall of 016 I took 6 days to NM to Gunnison. Solo trip

Reaction score
First Name
David
Absolutely Gorgeous pictures!
Hey Jarrett, I had some business cards made up for my business (rentals) and had another set made up for a Motorcycle Adventure Business. I can go scout out rides etc. You are allowed to be anywhere for business. Staples makes business cards in 24 hrs. Something to think about. Get out and ride!

my6

Reaction score
First Name
David
How about Donnie's "Buffalo Wilderness Ranch" in Arkansas?

Reaction score
First Name
David
How about Donnie's "Buffalo Wilderness Ranch" in Arkansas?
If your an offroad guy that would be epic. Then you have Byrd's Adventure Center as well as Mulberry Mountain all within the same area. Plus all the great roads up to and around Push Mountain. I would bet it will be pretty warm there though.

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
If doing a hotel, stay in Gunnison or Montrose. Cheap and plenty of rooms. Good riding all around.

Durango is also good but my guess is that hotels are a bit more and the riding isn't as plentiful, although still plenty good.

Ouray and Telluride are awesome too...but usually pretty pricey.

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info.

MacDaddy reminded me of some longer rides in Arkansas in October later in the fall that I want to save up my vacation days for, so for now I'm going to keep it to shorter trips.

I'm kicking around heading to Kerrville this weekend.

Reaction score
First Name
David
If anyone ventures into NM Please Don't go to Rancho de Chimayó. Its Horrible. Its my wife's favorite and she always tells me she's going there when I say I'm going to Colorado. I think I'm going to Surprise her sometime! It would be a long drive from Durango but ya never know Honey!

2N2OUT

If You Can't Be A Forum Be A
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Super Dave
Cottonwood pass is paved now. Goes from Taylor Reservoir over to Buena Vista. Beautiful. Head out of Gunny to CB, but hang a right at Almont and head up Taylor Canyon to get there.

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
I'm kicking around heading to Kerrville this weekend.
That sounds very hot.

Maybe not so bad if you start and end early and are back in the AC by noon.

I'm not saying it can't be fun. I've done a lot of riding in heat and it can definitely be fun. But it's also definitely hot.

I suppose the cost / reward ratio is changing as I age....

Reaction score
That sounds very hot.

Maybe not so bad if you start and end early and are back in the AC by noon.

I'm not saying it can't be fun. I've done a lot of riding in heat and it can definitely be fun. But it's also definitely hot.

I suppose the cost / reward ratio is changing as I age....
Thankfully not as hot as this week.

Looking like it will hit 92 around 2pm there this weekend. I am an early riser and can get a bunch of riding done by 2pm.

I got a cabin on the river, so I can come back and go swim when I get done. Food and stuff within walking distance.

I mainly just need to get away for a bit and decompress. This seemed like a decent option for a solo trip.

The Three Sisters are still new enough to me that I want to go ride them every year, so I figured, why not.

Reaction score
Son and I are headed to Salida Colorado this weekend for a week of riding. Originally had plans to hit Cloudcroft New Mexico but ditched those plans after the 14 day quarantine order was announced. I am riding with a local the first day and he’s hooking me up with GPS maps for some scenic dual sport and single track riding. Happy to ride with anyone else in the area!