• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Are you talking paved or unpaved, or a combo? If you hang out in Gunnison, you can cruise through the Black Canyon, or run up and down the COBDR down to Lake City. Also there is a big-o-loop up through Carbondale, over to Vail, down to Salida, back over to Gunnison. Later you could hit 141 over toward the Utah border.

I didn't say you weren't welcome in NM, that WEBSITE said you aren't welcome. Apparently there are plenty of people going over there with no issues. But it would sure be a drag to haul all your crap up there and have to turn around and go home. I'm hoping that doesn't happen to me in Colorado in August.

I usually haul to Raton(maybe Trinidad with the quarantine) , spend a night or two in Gunnison, a night or two in Ouray, some other random place or two, back to Raton, haul back to Texas.

Drove to Ruidoso a couple of weeks ago with the wife. Lots of dirt bikes riding around and you can make it in a day.

Colorado is better perhaps ....... my plan is to go street riding there next month. Good luck.

I didn't say you weren't welcome in NM, that WEBSITE said you aren't welcome. Apparently there are plenty of people going over there with no issues. But it would sure be a drag to haul all your crap up there and have to turn around and go home. I'm hoping that doesn't happen to me in Colorado in August.

When we were there a month ago, the State may not have welcomed us but the business owners sure did.

We are headed to NM on Wed Morning. Staying and riding Sante Fe/Taos and then wake up early Thur and making it to Durango. From there we will ride some single track and some passes. Staying in Telluride or maybe somewhere else along the way. Hotels aren't full but RV spots are. I haven't heard of anyone being forcefully quarantined in NM or any state. My wife is from NM and that's where she and the kiddo are going for some R&R. She still has friends there and they told her Hotels and restaurants Need the business and are welcoming folks from anywhere. Lots of Texans in Colorado. Don't be worried about NM unless you ride like a Hooligan. I have several friends that still ride that way on the slab and the law always seems to pick on them.

In the fall of 016 I took 6 days to NM to Gunnison. Solo trip

Absolutely Gorgeous pictures!
Hey Jarrett, I had some business cards made up for my business (rentals) and had another set made up for a Motorcycle Adventure Business. I can go scout out rides etc. You are allowed to be anywhere for business. Staples makes business cards in 24 hrs. Something to think about. Get out and ride!

How about Donnie's "Buffalo Wilderness Ranch" in Arkansas?

How about Donnie's "Buffalo Wilderness Ranch" in Arkansas?
If your an offroad guy that would be epic. Then you have Byrd's Adventure Center as well as Mulberry Mountain all within the same area. Plus all the great roads up to and around Push Mountain. I would bet it will be pretty warm there though.

If doing a hotel, stay in Gunnison or Montrose. Cheap and plenty of rooms. Good riding all around.

Durango is also good but my guess is that hotels are a bit more and the riding isn't as plentiful, although still plenty good.

Ouray and Telluride are awesome too...but usually pretty pricey.

Road 12 along Coal Creek going west from Crested Butte looks interesting.
It is. It goes over Kebler Pass and the scenery is great. Mostly gravel, but can be ridden with any bike I have ever owned.

If anyone ventures into NM Please Don't go to Rancho de Chimayó. Its Horrible. Its my wife's favorite and she always tells me she's going there when I say I'm going to Colorado. I think I'm going to Surprise her sometime! It would be a long drive from Durango but ya never know Honey!

Cottonwood pass is paved now. Goes from Taylor Reservoir over to Buena Vista. Beautiful. Head out of Gunny to CB, but hang a right at Almont and head up Taylor Canyon to get there.

I'm kicking around heading to Kerrville this weekend.
That sounds very hot.

Maybe not so bad if you start and end early and are back in the AC by noon.

I'm not saying it can't be fun. I've done a lot of riding in heat and it can definitely be fun. But it's also definitely hot.

I suppose the cost / reward ratio is changing as I age....

Son and I are headed to Salida Colorado this weekend for a week of riding. Originally had plans to hit Cloudcroft New Mexico but ditched those plans after the 14 day quarantine order was announced. I am riding with a local the first day and he’s hooking me up with GPS maps for some scenic dual sport and single track riding. Happy to ride with anyone else in the area!

Back