• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Which gas to use?

Reaction score
Ever since I’ve gotten my 06 DL1000 VStrom I have used premium unleaded gasoline in it.
On very rare occasions when there was no other gas to be found I have also used regular unleaded gasoline in it.
In both instances both gasolines seem to work fine in the VStrom.
Even now when I use the VStrom on an almost daily basis when commuting to work I still use premium gasoline.
My dilemma lies in the fact that on rare occasions when heading home from work after it has been sitting in the hot parking lot under the hot sun it seems to run rough.
Is that roughness dependent on the fuel or is it dependent on something else?
The owners manual unfortunately states to use regular unleaded gasoline of more than 87 octane however it also has a compression ratio of 11.3 to 1 which requires that I use premium gasoline.
Not trying to be cheap, just seeking to use the right gas. Tnx.

I ran nothing but regular without issues in my '04 Vstrom 1000. Including on the day it's kickstand sank 4" into a new parking lot.

I always ran regular in my '05 650 V-Strom. Ran like a tank for the 30K miles I owned it.
I run high octane in my FE501, but quite frankly, I've often had to run regular for days because I can't get anything else. It runs just fine.
The sensors on late model bikes and cars seem to do a pretty good job of making adjustments for octane. Have you EVER heard a modern bike ping?

I always ran regular in my '05 650 V-Strom. Ran like a tank for the 30K miles I owned it.
I run high octane in my FE501, but quite frankly, I've often had to run regular for days because I can't get anything else. It runs just fine.
The sensors on late model bikes and cars seem to do a pretty good job of making adjustments for octane. Have you EVER heard a modern bike ping?

I had my '15 WRX do it the one time I accidentally put regular in it. Little bit of racket followed by the computer yanking power. I've never owned a bike that required premium gas...

Interestingly I think I've been wasting my money on 93 octane for my 1250S. Owners manual calls for 91 and it's a 10.5 to 1 compression so not really *that* high compression in the motorcycle realm. I could probably run 89 just fine and save a few bucks.

I monitor the AFR as I ride with an AEM wideband and bar mounted AFR gauge, and the factory O2 is deleted. Spent a good long while making fuel maps and it tends to live in the 13-13.4 zone so I am not too worried about pinging on any fuel. Depending on conditions its honestly probably a little over rich but it pulls like mad so I haven't made any changes in a while.

Yeah Vit, I always ran regular in it as well. Surprised you'd run premium in her. She likes regular.

My 2007 BMW GSA had a comment in the owners manual saying you could run a grade equivalent to "Mexican gas" if need be in an emergency. The computer makes adjustments to compensate and avoid pinging. I ran mid grade for 82000 miles and the bike was perfect when I sold it.

Run what the manual tells you to run in it and don't overthink it. I put 102k miles on my 04 Strom 1000 and it was still running like a champ when I sold it. That thing never had a drop of premium in it the entire time I had it.

If it makes you feel any better my almost brand new Ford with the Godzilla 7.3 gasser in it is 10.5:1 and it also calls for regular ol' pump gas so that is what it gets every time.

I didn't know there were many motorcycles with knock sensors. But there's no need for premium fuel if the owners manual doesn't require it. That hot weather rough running is something else.

Thank you everyone.
Will try not to overthink it.
Will run regular like the manual says from now on.

Here's some info you can watch to kill off that last 15 minutes of your workday:

I filled up my old DR650 with 85 AKI in Colorado, got altitude sickness, brought it home, and proceeded to run through the tank without issue at nearly sea level.

Two comments:

Look closely at what is spec'ed in the manual.
The octane rating at the pump is ROM+MON /2
Sometimes the manual will only specify ROM. So 91 ROM is not 91 at the pump. You can likely use regular 87.

Also, if the manual says you can use 87, you can use 87 despite the high compression. There are fuel metering, valve timing and ignition tricks the computer does to manage. It is not the same as a '68 SBC with high compression that needs hi-test.

There are also factors at play other than compression. Those factory engineers get paid A LOT of money to figure all these things out, burning barrels of money in R&D, if they say 87 is fine I believe it.

ROM+MON /2
Sometimes the manual will only specify ROM. So 91 ROM is not 91 at the pump.

You mean RON (Research Octane Number). Usually if they only specify one (not average octane rating), then they specify MON (Motor Octane Number), don't they? Since that's the actual measured octane. That's why 91 avg. octane is not always enough, and why sometimes 87 avg octane can be enough even with a high comp engine.

@mr72 thanks for the correction.

I will add this was more prevalent with import vehicles in the past but seems most have caught up with how it is specified in the owner's manual now.

Back