• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Which motorcycle jack?

Not to be a buttinsky but I see from your pic that you work with the disc on the bottom side. I have always worked with the disc up so as to not take a chance warping it with too much pressure from my knees working on the ground. It makes spoons a bit harder and I don’t begin to claim to be a tire changing ace, just a random thought I decided to share

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not to be a buttinsky but I see from your pic that you work with the disc on the bottom side. I have always worked with the disc up so as to not take a chance warping it with too much pressure from my knees working on the ground. It makes spoons a bit harder and I don’t begin to claim to be a tire changing ace, just a random thought I decided to share

I appreciate it. I'm open to suggestion, no worries. This is my first time changing a motorcycle tube so I need the help lol I wondered about which way would be better. Breaking the first bead I did it disc up, it helped me out holding the spoons if I needed a second hand, plus I felt better putting more force on the whole thing with the disc up. With one hand I kinda have to use my legs a little more. I will be mindful of the disc, I appreciate the guidance. Learning new stuff, I don't know what I don't know.

Well, tire is on and bike back together. I washed the rim and installed new rim tape. From there it was the new inner tube in the red tubliss outer then installed ready. The tire was a good fight. I'm not convinced I won. I cleaned the rotor so it's not armoralled. Gonna wash the bike in a while when I pull it out of the garage and be sure the tread isn't slicked.

I decided I hate tires.

I'm not satisfied how the tire is sitting on the rim. It's like the beads haven't expanded out to where they need to sit making the tire a little cockeyed on the rim if that makes sense. The rimlock of the tubliss is a real turd to fight with. I did a lot of squee zdx ing, bouncing, pushing, pulling, bopping it with a rubber mallet but it wont budge.

Also my foot pump died so I dont have the inner tube all the way up to psi yet. I'm hoping once I get that where it needs to be the bead will settle out. And also hoping to get it on the road will help set it. But idk. First time doing this. I'm just glad I got it done so I dont have to wheelie everywhere.

I'm all ears on the crooked tire thing.

I gotta get breakfast then get started fixing the kickstand before it get hot again. Metalwork in summer is rough.

That's the section where it's really noticeable.

Last edited:
do you have an air compressor?
I don't. Been putting that purchase off for the last few years.

Hmm I guess I should have run the tire/wheel up to an airport at the gas station before putting it back on. I wasn't thinking. Oh well, I'll get something. I used the small hand pump from the tail pack to get some air in it. But probably not more than 30-40psi in it. It needs to be up at 100-110.

Last edited:
Putting the new jack to more use. Cut and welded the shorter sidestand. Instead of trying to work with an already welded on stand I used the new one I got.

To get the kickstand off I tried the penny method I saw on youtube

The wr is 20 cents. Fold it up and there is enough slack to slide off the little bracket and spring.

Marked and cut. Used hacksaw so it would be straight

Ground off the old welds on the footpad

Pad and stand ready to go

Hooked up the little 110c fluxcore. Haven't welded in like 5 years. I decided no practice runs - go big or go home

Came out functional, definitely not pretty.

Finally got some swagger in her. Right at 12-13* lean. That'll do

There's the new one next to the gangly one. I'll repaint tonight and itll go back on the bike

Ok I am impressed on many levels... who is this woman?

The fact you are tearing into this is impressive, welding skills very cool...

Back to the tire, to seat the tire bead, I always leave the high pressure side empty, then put about 40 psi in the low pressure side the seat the sidewall, give it a few mins to set, then fill high pressure to 100 psi.

In a bit lower the low side down to say 10 or 12 psi what ever you are looking for and check the high pressure side. It may have risen a little when you lower the low side.

Mike do you tighten the rim lock piece of the high pressure side while you seat the bead with high pressure side empty?

Monica is the spot that doesn’t look correct opposite of the rim lock piece?

Glad you got the stand fixed properly.

Sounds like you need to bite the bullet and buy a small compressor.

Reactions: Vec
You did awesome!
Thanks sister

Ok I am impressed on many levels... who is this woman?

The fact you are tearing into this is impressive, welding skills very cool...

Back to the tire, to seat the tire bead, I always leave the high pressure side empty, then put about 40 psi in the low pressure side the seat the sidewall, give it a few mins to set, then fill high pressure to 100 psi.

In a bit lower the low side down to say 10 or 12 psi what ever you are looking for and check the high pressure side. It may have risen a little when you lower the low side.

:-D Thanks for the compliments. I learned how to work and use tools from my Dad. I love manual work, fixing and building stuff. It always took my mind off worries. Now, I put everything to use taking care of myself and my stuff lol

I'll try that method and see if I can get the tire to seat.

Mike do you tighten the rim lock piece of the high pressure side while you seat the bead with high pressure side empty?

Monica is the spot that doesn’t look correct opposite of the rim lock piece?

Glad you got the stand fixed properly.
The spots that don't look correct are at the halfway point, the rim lock side is on (though looks bulgy in the tire), and the side opposite the rim lock is good.

Me too on the stand. It was a fall over waiting to happen.

Sounds like you need to bite the bullet and buy a small compressor.
I think you're right. I put it off so long because I didn't want to figure out where in the garage it'll go. I hate it when things eat up my floor space in there, drives me nuts when the organization in there it isn't "right". I have selective OCD lol

Thanks sister

:-D Thanks for the compliments. I learned how to work and use tools from my Dad. I love manual work, fixing and building stuff. It always took my mind off worries. Now, I put everything to use taking care of myself and my stuff lol

I'll try that method and see if I can get the tire to seat.

The spots that don't look correct are at the halfway point, the rim lock side is on (though looks bulgy in the tire), and the side opposite the rim lock is good.

Me too on the stand. It was a fall over waiting to happen.

I think you're right. I put it off so long because I didn't want to figure out where in the garage it'll go. I hate it when things eat up my floor space in there, drives me nuts when the organization in there it isn't "right". I have selective OCD lol
A small pancake compressor(2.5gal) would fit nicely under that workbench

A small pancake compressor(2.5gal) would fit nicely under that workbench

You think so? Eyeball a spot?

Cause I'm m not so sure it will., I'm out of room under there :eek2: ...my hand tool set, impact impact socket master set, 4 jack stands, MX hauler, and a shop vac. And that's what sits on the floor. That mid level shelf has my drill, 1/4"impact, plumbling tool box and electrical tool box. I'm still out of sorts because my miter saw is still sitting on the workbench surface - it does not belong sitting on the workbench surface. It needs it's place, not on the workbench surface.

I'll have to figure out the best place for it to go so I don't lose my mind lol

Last edited:
You think so? Eyeball a spot?

Cause I'm m not so sure it will., I'm out of room under there :eek2: ...my hand tool set, impact impact socket master set, 4 jack stands, MX hauler, and a shop vac. And that's what sits on the floor. That mid level shelf has my drill, 1/4"impact, plumbling tool box and electrical tool box. I'm still out of sorts because my miter saw is still sitting on the workbench surface - it does not belong sitting on the workbench surface. It needs it's place, not on the workbench surface.

I'll have to figure out the best place for it to go so I don't lose my mind lol
Under the stool if you can ride the right size compressor. Dont need much for motorcycle tires

Under the stool if you can ride the right size compressor. Dont need much for motorcycle tires
I think under there may be an option too. Itll be a practical location near the bikes as well.

Originally I was going to get that stand out if there but hadn't decided how I wanted to repurpose it (my drill press use to sit on it but now that's on the bench). In its place I thought of putting the miter saw under there. I hoped to build a flip top miter saw stand I could roll under there when stored. I just hadn't gotten around to it.

True on the compressor size although the tubliss takes 100psi. But if I'm buying I want it to do the truck too. Might as well take care of all jobs if I'm spending the money .

I think under there may be an option too. Itll be a practical location near the bikes as well.

Originally I was going to get that stand out if there but hadn't decided how I wanted to repurpose it (my drill press use to sit on it but now that's on the bench). In its place I thought of putting the miter saw under there. I hoped to build a flip top miter saw stand I could roll under there when stored. I just hadn't gotten around to it.

True on the compressor size although the tubliss takes 100psi. But if I'm buying I want it to do the truck too. Might as well take care of all jobs if I'm spending the money .

I had one of these for years and it was a great little compressor. Does 135 psi.

I have this one I keep in the P/U. Good to 140 PSI 12 volt/ 14 Amp. Does a very good job settin beads. Don't remember the CFM but it is pretty quick. You can keep this in the shop about the size of a cigar box, or carry with you on the bike. It is a little large for packin, but doable. I carry a smaller one on the bikes. Just make sure you have an adequate fuse in line.

I had one of these for years and it was a great little compressor. Does 135 psi.

I'll have a look. Thanks for the suggestion..

I have this one I keep in the P/U. Good to 140 PSI 12 volt/ 14 Amp. Does a very good job settin beads. Don't remember the CFM but it is pretty quick. You can keep this in the shop about the size of a cigar box, or carry with you on the bike. It is a little large for packin, but doable. I carry a smaller one on the bikes. Just make sure you have an adequate fuse in line.

I had one similar, my dad gave it to me one birthday or Christmas and I kept it in the truck tool box. I used it a lot up until the hose connection broke off at the threaded end that goes into the compressor body. I still have it, intended to fix it but, you know how that goes, still sitting in the case in the same condition. Perhaps I should look at getting another.

I've got an SAE lead on the batteries of both bikes for the Tender of course. Think that inline fuse would be enough to power it with a spare connector? I think it's 10a but I'll need to double check.

And wrapping up the kickstand, its painted and drying

Last edited:
The direct drive compressors are noisy, belt driven with piston compressors are much quieter, if you will have it the next 20-30 years get one you will enjoy. I don't know what makes the others noisy.

Monica, I leave the rim lock loose until i get everything seated. I make sure the bead is lubed up good before I start to fill. Note, I do put a few PSI into the high pressure side just to make sure it is not kinked anywhere, but not enough where it starts to put pressure on the sidewalls of the tire. This will allow some air to leak from the low pressure side past the spoke nipples, but that's ok. Soon as you air up the high pressure side everything will seal up and be air tight.

If I am using a real air compressor I will actually inflate the low pressure side as described and then remove the valve one more time, then bounce the wheel assembly and allow everything to readjust, then do a final fill. Once both high and low pressure sides are full I tighten down the rim lock.

Hope that helps and great job on the side stand.

I have seen small air compressors and shop vacs that hang on the wall, if you have wall space...I don't so mine is up on a fairly high shelf.
Or put wheels and a seat on a pancake compressor if you don't have a stool that it will fit under. Might need to build a frame but I get the impression that you are pretty handy around a fab table.
And
A little windex squirted between tire and rim will let the bead slide out and seat properly when refilled, then it will dry and the tire wont slip, not that it will with rim locks...

Like many others, I'm Impressed!

Muchos gracias on the compressor talk. I'm considering all options here. I like the small one idea to fit under the bench, but that means a direct drive unit..ie typical noisy unit. I also like the idea of the belt drive standup option (that I think I can fit in the corner), but that means really heavy (I'm un/loading on my own) and more expensive than the small one. Im scouting CL and reading up. Hopefully asap as i need the tire done so i can get my speedodrd installed and get on with my switches.

Also, yaaaayy!!

Back