• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Which One is Best

Dazig

Reaction score
First Name
Corwin
Last Name
Horn
So all of us have probably had some experience with a local dealership. Either you sourced parts or you paid the premium price and bought a bike or possible you may have let them work on your bike. So rather than sharing our rip-off stories let’s see if we can get to a consensus on the “Least Worst Dealership.” If there is one out there that is fair and reasonable, I would go out of my way to support them. Doesn’t have to be a big brand dealer. Maybe you know of a stand alone shop that provides a great service. So what have you got?

Clymer Manual and Harbor freight.
You're welcome.
LOL!...now you know for a fact that there are some people who shouldn't touch wrenches...LOL! And not suggesting the OP is one of those BTW. :mrgreen:

OP, it's hard to recommend specific shops when one considers how so many these days have some decent turnover. Then there's the issue that many dealership shops have limited the type and/or brand of motorcycles they will service.

It's a gold standard when you can find an independent mechanic/shop who works alone or has one or two employees, and that shop has been operating with some history of quality. It's usually the dealerships that have the higher turnover.

Really good motorcycle and even automotive mechanics are becoming less easy to find. Youth has changed so much in this nation as to how they value things and how they develop real world skills.

As far as sales go, I’ve bought two bikes from Destination Cycles in Kerrville and I was very happy both times.

Oh yeah, I did buy a bike from Adventure Moto in McKinney. Very good experience. They only sell units with TWO WHEELS.
Had some warranty work done. They took care of me.
Had them rebuild and upgrade the shock on my 501. It now rides 50% better than stock.
I believe they have a location in Denton also.

Problem I've had with trying to support local shops is that their attrition rate is ridiculously high. Around here, the dealerships now are nothing like what they were 10yrs ago. Some went under, some got sold to new owners, some have so many employee turnovers that the folks I had good rapport with were all gone. Sad as it may seem, but I just don't see the point any more.

Problem I've had with trying to support local shops is that their attrition rate is ridiculously high.
I see this in most businesses across the board, including my last 3 jobs and my wife's final job.
Thus the flippant 'Clymer manual and Harbor Freight' comment above.

Last edited:
I really enjoy walking into the Beta dealer in Magnolia , really like drooling over his inventory .

really great dealing with Cycle Town South in Lancaster but KTM pissed him off and he dropped them . Exclent dealing with AMS too and of course Lone Star Bmw . Did ok with Lunsfords used bike department but I knew the guy running it for years new bike forget it and the new owners , are they still open ? .

I see this in most businesses across the board, including my last 3 jobs and my wife's final job.
Thus the flippant 'Clymer Manual and Harbor Freight' comment above.
which I wholeheartedly agree. I've been a dyed-in-the-wool DIYer all my life and will continue to be, till my faculties betray me. I tried to pass on this philosophy of life to my kids as well. I never lecture; I just show them what a guy/gal can do, if he/she is willing to roll up the sleeves and not afraid to learn... maybe even sweat a little. This past Summer, my oldest spend many weekends wrenching on his car and mine - doing engine and suspension mods. Can't get any better quality father-son time than both of us lying on cardboard over concrete wrenching on our own car with our own hands.

There is something very Zen about that. Good for the soul.
301016309_5553614198023240_8481604804433717004_n.jpg

I really enjoy walking into the Beta dealer in Magnolia , really like drooling over his inventory .

really great dealing with Cycle Town South in Lancaster but KTM pissed him off and he dropped them . Exclent dealing with AMS too and of course Lone Star Bmw . Did ok with Lunsfords used bike department but I knew the guy running it for years new bike forget it and the new owners , are they still open ? .
Good guy. I bought a 300RR that was on consignment at his shop. Bit of a hike for me, or else I would visit more often.

I bought new bikes in Houston in the 80s austin and dallas area since . I will drive as far as necessary to a good dealer before wasting my time at a crap dealer that’s close .

which I wholeheartedly agree. I've been a dyed-in-the-wool DIYer all my life and will continue to be, till my faculties betray me. I tried to pass on this philosophy of life to my kids as well. I never lecture; I just show them what a guy/gal can do, if he/she is willing to roll up the sleeves and not afraid to learn... maybe even sweat a little. This past Summer, my oldest spend many weekends wrenching on his car and mine - doing engine and suspension mods. Can't get any better quality father-son time than both of us lying on cardboard over concrete wrenching on our own car with our own hands.

There is something very Zen about that. Good for the soul.
View attachment 331050
The right specialty tool for the job, BFH !!!
Carry On

For those in the Houston and surrounding area looking for a good mechanic call Waylon McKenzie (Mobile Ducati Service). He works on all types of bikes and can also pick it up or in some cases do the work at your site. His prices are far better than dealers. My bikes will go nowhere else for service. Mention my name and you may get an extra $1 or 2 discount…lol

His FB page

Attachments

• D8DBA0EF-6A3D-4EE3-8F9F-705F91281C1F.jpeg
    D8DBA0EF-6A3D-4EE3-8F9F-705F91281C1F.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 7957200A-D065-4C23-A403-6A339F6108EF.jpeg
    7957200A-D065-4C23-A403-6A339F6108EF.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 49
Back