• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Which Sister?

Looking at google images it is 336 that has cattle guards. There are 2 of them from what i could see.

Many thanks! Never thought Google had that much detail on a rural road. I'll change me route to take 335 south instead of 336.

336 has the cattle guards, with the one in the down hill corner (it is well marked now)
335 is the far West one and is the roller coaster Sister.
They are all very fun, specially if you "respect" the cattle guards. Slow down for them and you get to run her up thru the gears again!

Cattle guards? As in the bars over a section of raised ground the cows won't walk across? Those make great jumps! Why would you want to avoid them?

337 from vanderpool to Leakey is by far the best section
The perceived distance to get from Vanderpool to the eventual elevation change is astonishing, and when you get to the top, you gotta be really careful, it's downhill from there.
And some of the best riding to Leakey begins...

Last edited:
Anuther situation is where a cattle guard is located at an intersection of 2 or more roads & youre turning into the guard (same thing applies to a 90 degree turn with guard)

Im always thinkin...what if my front wheel was too parallel to the cross bars & slipped in between....NOT GOOD! so I always cross as perpendicular to the bars as possible

Anuther situation is where a cattle guard is located at an intersection of 2 or more roads & youre turning into the guard (same thing applies to a 90 degree turn with guard)

Im always thinkin...what if my front wheel was too parallel to the cross bars & slipped in between....NOT GOOD! so I always cross as perpendicular to the bars as possible
I remember Willow City Loop has a few cattle guards on curves. Nothing bad, but if it was a little wet, it could be something to be concerned about.

A cattle guard in the rain on a curve...

Edit, Jbird beat me to it

For a long time it wasn't marked. If you're coming from the South it's kinda blind. You come over a hill and see the sweet downhill, left-hander and then you see the cattle grate. Often with no time to do some serious braking. Better have some good shocks, cause - WHAM! You've bottomed out in a curve and sent wobbling toward the edge of the road. (we're talking a spirited pace here... if you're just cruising and enjoying the scenery, there's no worries) Good thing there's not a drop off at that edge. You can recover.

If you're following a local or someone in-the-know, you can't figure out why they're slowing down in this beautiful curve. You'll learn.

Take a look at this google shot. North bound on a beautiful sweeping curve. Forward a little bit.... and you're already in your push/lean towards the left.... and then you see it. Doesn't look too bad till you bottom out going over it. What a surprize!

Be careful on this one boys n girls.

It is well marked now so you shouldn't have that much trouble. If you know where it is you can deal with it and be like a local!

Last edited:
I'm gonna reconsider which route to take south. I like curves better than hills.

I'm gonna reconsider which route to take south. I like curves better than hills.
335 is the one with the hills (roller coaster) and it's fun no matter which way you take it fortunately! And, it has curves too! So don't miss either one of them. (or 337 East/West either... connect them all together as a loop!)

Last edited:
Many thanks! Never thought Google had that much detail on a rural road. I'll change me route to take 335 south instead of 336.
Really they aren't that bad. Plz don't let the scary cattle guard stories stop you from enjoying these epic Texas riding roads. No matter which direction you take them, they are tons of fun.
Hint: the older guards sag a little in the middle and you'll feel a little bump going across them. The trick is to cross out toward the edge of the road where the cars/trucks don't mash them down. Lot smoother out there. Just don't whack the fence post!

I vote 335 like most and cattle guards don't really bother me. I guess if you had a sports bike with very hard suspension mainly, but cattle guards are very common when riding in Texas.

Really they aren't that bad. Plz don't let the scary cattle guard stories stop you from enjoying these epic Texas riding roads. No matter which direction you take them, they are tons of fun.
Hint: the older guards sag a little in the middle and you'll feel a little bump going across them. The trick is to cross out toward the edge of the road where the cars/trucks don't mash them down. Lot smoother out there. Just don't whack the fence post!
Or build up a little speed and jump them boogers :)

I've been on all three of them, it was more than decade ago. My route runs from Kerrville to Rocksprings to Brackettville (on 674) to Rocksprings on 55. My route home will take me either on 335 or 336 then east on 337 over to 16.

336 has the cattle guards, with the one in the down hill corner (it is well marked now)

They improved them a lot some time ago. First time out there in '06 I was on the '82 Sportster, not known for a cushy ride.
I just rode right over one headed back into Leakey, and almost had to part my hair to poo after I stopped. Ow!!

335 is the one with the hills (roller coaster) and it's fun no matter which way you take it fortunately! And, it has curves too!

335 northbound might be my favorite. That rollercoaster section is the bomb!!!

I'd occasionally shoot clear over to Mountain Home and have a bbq sammich at the Exxon, then head back towards Leaky on... what is it.. 87?
I forget the road and am too lazy to look, but an alternate path eastbound off 87 through Hunt and into Kerrville is also fun.
Once I took 16 all the way back 1604 then home. Like 400 miles and I was totally pooped, and totally happy.

Anyone else ever get back to Leakey headed south, and as yer about to turn left on 335, take a right and do the loop again before heading home? :dude:

just got back from the sisters right before the ice age. yes it was 336 w/ the cattle guards. they were practically flat. the detour on 337 is still in effect but it wasn't an issue.

Back