• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Who all leaves 'em stock?

chisum

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Who(m) all here believes in riding your steeds as they come off the line; stock, non-molested, uncorrupted, without sin, etc.? Mostly I'm talking engine, suspension, fancy rolling stock, ultra lightweight this or that.

I'm asking because this was a recent topic on one of the Harley forums. Many think it's necessary to modify and others think they perform just fine stock for what they are.

In my own case, I have two bikes that I should have recognized as "what they are" bikes and have traded riding time for modding time. Looking back, it's senseless how much I've spent trying to fix a Harley that, come to find out, wasn't broke! I've been getting away with cheap stuff on the KLR (and the all important doo), but with quite a few Benjamins I could turn it into a cross between a KTM, a Versys, and an Abrams. That would 1) drain my account, 2) my marriage would end, 3) I wouldn't ride hardly at all because I'd just be modding all the time. With some restraint, I'll be able to just leave them both alone from now on.

What about the various bikes/riders on here?

I never change exhaust, cams, or other fancy engine stuff to get better performance. My motorcycles have always been able to out perform me. I do add farkles and such, but the only mod I've ever done was going down one tooth on the front sprocket on my Strom. Just did that.

My new Connie is darn close to stock. I don't like how the exhaust LOOKS but I may keep it.

I'd like to upgrade the suspension on my Shadow 1100, and I have additional storage, windshield, and a highway bar, but I'm not into modifications. The bike works well as it is.

I guess for me it depends on what you consider a modification and what you consider a farkle.

Functional farkles only for me on the DR, no messing with carb, pipe, airbox or motor. Functional for me is mostly suspension, ergos, fuel capacity, and protection.

That said, if I had a different daily rider I'd be tempted to mess with those other things... or like you said, just save all the farkling money and buy a KTM :eek2:

Sometimes modified.:mrgreen:
DSC02747.jpg

And sometimes they remain stock.

My F650GS is pretty much stock. I enjoy riding, but I am not an agressive rider. I probably would not see much difference between an OEM part and an improved aftermarket.

I am going to get the chance to learn, though. My OEM shock needs replacing, and the Ohlins unit for my bike was about $300 cheaper.

I am definitely going to do something with the seat. IMHO, the 650GS is a great little bike. Why BMW does so good on the bike, and so crappy on the seat is a mystery.

Jeff

I'm in the same boat as Coolhand. I'll setup the suspension for my weight, change handlebars for my liking, add a seat for more stretch between the seat and the pegs, and panniers to carry my camping stuff in. Then I added crash bars to keep it from getting beat up after all the times I've dropped it, and a skid plate for bouncing off of the rocks.

I love fiddling with my bikes to try and improve them. An exhaust, PC3, and upgraded suspension on the VFR make alot of difference on the performance end. Helibars, a Sargent seat, and a Givi topbox do wonders for it's touring capability. If you've got a bike that you enjoy, why wouldn't you want to try and make it better? Lucky you if you think your bike is perfect as-is, but I think most riders can find some fault with their steeds...

I am definitely going to do something with the seat. IMHO, the 650GS is a great little bike. Why BMW does so good on the bike, and so crappy on the seat is a mystery.

Jeff

BMW and pretty much every other manufacturer.

risers/bars/crash protection is about my farkle limit. i leave the engine/exhaust alone.

crash protection pays for itself, i know mine paid for itself several times over this past week :doh:.

I think I've changed the exhaust systems on every bike I've owned over 750CC. Uusually to drop weight, sometimes just to improve the character (specifically my old Superhawk which transformed from lawn tractor to a superbike with good help from Two Brothers).

Seats - yes.

Windscreens - usually.

Engine internals - rarely.

Preformance is fine from the factory , a little fine tuning to suite my taste and suspension setup and I am good to go . I spend my money when I buy it , not after I get it home . SEYA

Pretty much stock here. Dealer added couple of small things, gatlin tips, L1S1, and heel to toe shifter. And I added a taller windshield, since I am a bit tall.

Notice how many people are saying - pretty much stock except this and that...oh and this...and maybe one of those too...and if I had the money definitely one of those. Motorcycling appeals to the individualistic nature in us. And it appeals to the mechanically capable (at least in our own minds). So the vast majority of riders do things to make the bike reflect their own tastes, needs, and lifestyles. Mod away, my friends, mod away.

No motorcycle I own, or have owned has ever remained stock as delivered from the factory.

No system or sub assembly is safe :lol:

In my garage tonight.
The VTR has non stock parts in every assembly or sub assembly except the transmission....unless you consider the shifter or chain drive system as part of the transmission,, then that’s part is covered too.

The Ninja 650R has body, engine, and suspension mods.

The DRZ 485.. Every part, literally every part has been modified or replaced with non stock except the snap rings in the transmission.

The RM250.. Engine, suspension mods..

The CR125....the frame may still be OEM and unmolested.

The CRF230.. Engine, exhaust, suspension are all modded.

The ......ok that’s enough for now... the point is.. No, I don’t leave them as delivered.

On the dirt/serious DS bikes I rejet and open airboxes, but no perf mods beyond that. Those are good bang for the buck changes. Exhaust is expensive for small gains in those cases, plus I like stealth riding. I do change ergo things like bars and grips. larger tanks too and skidplates/crash guards. Nothing that I would call cosmetic though. Stock plastics.

For the BMW I ordered a little power dohickey that will fix a low rpm flat spot, but that was a rideability fix in my opinion, not a performance upgrade. It has all the other stuff except a really good seat. Stock is acceptable so it will stay for a while.

So do I leave them stock? No, but I don't rush out and change them. I ride them and make changes as I go. It's part of the fun. Eventually I'll hit the point where it is more than I want to spend on a bike for the next change. Then I'm done or it is time to more on to a bike that doesn't have those limitations.

on my 12th or so bike and have NEVER touched the engine, exhaust or frame.
Functional farkles only for me, never just add chrome or anything just for looks.

if you keep modifying the engine, exhaust or frame you have not bought the correct bike for yourself.

My stuff stays pretty close to stock, but it's not because of any belief I have...I just have a hard time shelling out the kind of cash usually required for motorcycle parts/accessories.

on my 12th or so bike and have NEVER touched the engine, exhaust or frame.
Functional farkles only for me, never just add chrome or anything just for looks.

if you keep modifying the engine, exhaust or frame you have not bought the correct bike for yourself.

I don't think I agree with you. Probably don't need to modify a frame, but engine and exhaust? My bike was a dream right off the showroom, but over time I learned that with some modifications (recommended by the dealer, ecu, airbox mods, carbon fiber exhaust) I could improve performance, lose weight, run cooler, and probably improve longevity. If some after market company comes out with some cans that are lighter than mine and look like Atlas ICBM nozzle holes I'll upgrade again.:lol2:

I leave engine internals alone (except for camming up Evo Harleys). Other than that, I mod them till my wallet says ouch. Mostly performance these days, but sometimes appearance, too.

just the basics on my DR. Got that great Sargent seat(one of the single BEST accessories I ever bought), some heavier progressive fork springs to better carry my cop gut around, and a front bag that mounts over headlight and tankbag. Have a Pro-Moto luggage rack. Oh, added a Unifilter air filter and noticed a difference over the stock filter. No engine or exhaust mods.

Last edited:
I have left by F800GS completely stock.

Well, except for the stuff they should have put on there to begin with such as -

Givi Top Case and Side Case Adapters
Givi V46 Top Case
Givi E43 Side Cases (Side Cases and Adapters only mounted for trips)
Cortech Mini Tank bag
Rizoma Brake Fluid Reservior
Adventure Spec Crash Bars
Adventure Spec Bash Plate
Rivco Highway Iso-Pegs
Ram Ball Mount (for GPSMap 76CSx)
BarkBusters
PowerBronze Rear Hugger
Hepco Becker Headlight Guard
Rox Risers
Puck-Up (Larger sidestand footprint)
Wunderlich Driving Lights (Still in the Box)
Corbin Seat
Two Brother's Slip On

Back