• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Who all leaves 'em stock?

Engine and exhaust remain stock. Cast rims instead of the spokes (easier to clean when I do clean it). Boss Bags mods on the saddle bags. I've done the load pipes thing and have come to my senses about the load pipe thing. Stock works just fine thank you very much.

Ergos and function mods.

TW: sprockets and o-ring chain (ratios selected for anticipated conditions), better tires for dirt, taller aluminum bars, better grips, brush guards, extra wheels with street tires, better brake pads and shoes, Barnett clutch 4-gallon tank, top box, rejet carb, LEDs everywhere else, Sterns seat pad.

Planning another TW with fewer miles: all above plus 276cc, ~25hp engine, 6-speed trans, 6-plate clutch, custom reverse cone megaphone stainless exhaust with USDA approved spark arrestor, 32MM Mikuni square slide with custom airbox and filter, triple hydraulic discs, adjustable shock and forks, dual HID headlights, front and rear racks. Maybe ATV rear tire, 180/80-14 front tire.

CB: mini crash bars, luggage rack, throw-over soft bags, sterns seat pad.

Future mods will be better brake pads and shoes, rear shocks, drop a tooth on the countershaft, o-ring chain, grips, HID headlight.

I add cases, GPS and other accessories, but leave the intake and exhaust stock these days. Suspension is bike dependant.

I've just spent a lot of time a little money and with help from fellow TWTers putting my new to me 05 DRZ back to box stock original condition right down to the Trailwing tires, I love the way the Zs look right out of the box. SZ.

:lol2:

I have left by F800GS completely stock.

Well, except for the stuff they should have put on there to begin with such as -

Givi Top Case and Side Case Adapters
Givi V46 Top Case
Givi E43 Side Cases (Side Cases and Adapters only mounted for trips)
Cortech Mini Tank bag
Rizoma Brake Fluid Reservior
Adventure Spec Crash Bars
Adventure Spec Bash Plate
Rivco Highway Iso-Pegs
Ram Ball Mount (for GPSMap 76CSx)
BarkBusters
PowerBronze Rear Hugger
Hepco Becker Headlight Guard
Rox Risers
Puck-Up (Larger sidestand footprint)
Wunderlich Driving Lights (Still in the Box)
Corbin Seat
Two Brother's Slip On

I'm done or it is time to move on to a bike that doesn't have those limitations.

Given your current bike I'd bet you're done. It's limitations are pretty minor and none are enough to overshadow how well it does everything else.

Panniers, crash bars, throttle lock, Corbin, GPS, winglets in Winter, headlight guard, Touratech footprint (that seems silly until you set the fat girl on the side stand in soft dirt/mud). Previous owner installed Remus headers/exhaust which worked nicely with my Jesse luggage, but I wouldn't have dropped the coin on that for the relatively small increase in power.

Gearing/chain on the Duc, but that only increased it's useable power.

If it's not functional I don't need it, I don't do chrome. Stock engine/suspension is fine for me.

I am usually happy with most bikes in the OEM mode except the seat and windscreen. They are always removed in favor of better aftermarket options.

No motorcycle I own, or have owned has ever remained stock as delivered from the factory.

No system or sub assembly is safe :lol:

In my garage tonight.
The VTR has non stock parts in every assembly or sub assembly except the transmission....unless you consider the shifter or chain drive system as part of the transmission,, then that’s part is covered too.

The Ninja 650R has body, engine, and suspension mods.

The DRZ 485.. Every part, literally every part has been modified or replaced with non stock except the snap rings in the transmission.

The RM250.. Engine, suspension mods..

The CR125....the frame may still be OEM and unmolested.

The CRF230.. Engine, exhaust, suspension are all modded.

The ......ok that’s enough for now... the point is.. No, I don’t leave them as delivered.
:rofl: Nothing I own is stock!!:mrgreen: It's a sickness I tell you, A SICKNESS!!! :twitch: :lol2: :loco:

I see any bike as a blank canvass, just waiting for me to modify it to my personal taste.

04 YZ125 - Left totally stock except for muffler, that only because the stock one needed repacking and I was too lazy.

06 Spirit 750 - It's a cruiser, so naturally I've modded the exhaust, mirrors, lights, pegs, changed sprocket to 39 tooth instead of 42 tooth. Next up is removing the stock graphics that are just stickers and airbrushing the flames back onto the tank.

My 1984 VF700 is all stock....... But everything seams to suite the way I ride, so I guess I consider myself lucky......

None of my bikes has the stock suspension cause I ain't 150 lbs dripping wet like those Japanese and European riders that the bikes are designed around. :rofl:

Since my bike will definitely out perform me, and some pretty smart engineers worked out all the details, I'll leave the running gear stock. I've added a few bits aimed at making my GS500F more travel worthy, touring screen, ber risers, saddle bags, clock.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

I'm new enough to riding that I don't have much experience one way or the other (it's not terribly impressive or meaningful that I've left my little Ninja 500 stock for the, uhh, month and a half I've been riding)...but in principle, I'm thinking about motorcycles the same way I think about my guns:

For the most part, I trust the engineers at ________ to know what makes a good machine better than I trust myself.

For some small changes, sure, I can see myself taking the plunge. Aftermarket seat, different design/width/material on the footpegs, little stuff like that (just like I'll try new sights on my Glock, put plastic furniture on my AK, or whatever)...but, by and large, I acknowledge that they're paid to design the things, and I'm just along for the ride.

Little cosmetic and comfort changes I'll go for, but anything major? I'm likely to leave it to the experts that designed the thing in the first place. :)

I have spent more time and money putting the bikes I have now back stock than I have customizing them.
Two of my bikes had custom seats on them when they came to me, I have changed them both back to stock seats and there much more comfortable.
The GS came with a Y-pipe and aftermarket Muffler, which I changed back to the cat-and stock muffler. It is much more pleasant to be around now.
The GS I have installed new shocks front and rear, but that came to be after 75,000 miles on the original ones.
Guess that is why I choose the brand bike's I own. I do not feel compelled to "FIX" them as soon as I acquire them.

My DRZ has case savers, rad guards, stuff to make it a bit harder to break.

The tail light assy was replaced because it was just begging to get torn off.

When the carb clogged I did the rejet and 3x3 and reverted to stock exhaust.

The FMF just attracted dogs.

My ZRX is almost stock...comfort mods, and a luggage rack.

The GS is close to stock except comfort mods and the PO's canisterectomy.

Hmm... Stock, eh? All my bikes stayed stock until something went out or was damaged.

My current bike has an exhaust pipe on it from the previous owner. There was a significant bit of tuning into it in the airbox, jetting, and on a dyno. I have been reluctant to try to swap back to the OEM setup, at the same time, I long to have the quiet of the stock muffler.

The seat got a hole in it, so I duck-taped the seat until I found another stock one on a FZ1 site for $50. I am considering an aftermarket seat for the first time, since the second stock seat has a hole in it now in the same place.

The suspension was shot around 25k, so it got the Traxxion and Penske treatment (a first time mod for me which has been FABULOUS!!!)

I finally got tired of plastic bags leaking in soft luggage and sprang for Givi kit.

On previous bikes:
2 prior bikes had aftermarket exhaust following a crash, insurance paid, OEM exhaust pipes were hundreds of $$$ more than aftermarket pipes. I was a broke college student and Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet. I really hated having aftermarket pipes.

The suspension was shot around 25k, so it got the Traxxion and Penske treatment (a first time mod for me which has been FABULOUS!!!)

Ooops.

You'll never be happy on a bike with stock boingers again...

s front and rear, but that came to be after 75,000 miles on the original ones.
Guess that is why I choose the brand bike's I own. I do not feel compelled to "FIX" them as soon as I acquire them.

Funny, considering the GS has one of the largest aftermarket parts availabilty out there. Guess a lot of owners don't agree with you on that one :lol2:

75K on the original shocks, that's awesome! Mine were toast at 24K on my '04.

"why would you spend that much money to change the sound of dirty air" - Squeaky:giveup:

I can't leave ANYTHING well enough alone...not even the 50cc scooter I picked up yesterday...

New '08 v-strom...
1. Madstad windscreen bracket
2. Audiovox cruise control
3. Sargent seat
4. Cal-Sci windshield
5. Center stand
6. Bags and top case
7. redrill top rack to move top case back 2 inches
8. Conti Road Attacks
9. GPS

Now it's just about right..... time for a new bike!!

Back