• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Who gets credit for getting you into motorcycles?

My 3rd cousins had a 70's Kawasaki KL 250 ,if I recall correctly, and gave me a ride in 1973 in Junction Texas. Nobody in my family ever rode, but I was in love!

It wasn't until 1976, when I was 11 years old in the 6th grade, that my dirt biking classmates got me hooked..........and very soon after, my first ticket!! I told my parents I wanted a dirtbike, and my dad said, "Son, when you get a job and can pay for it, then you can have a dirtbike!" He turned away with a smug grin, satisfied that he wasn't being the "Bad Guy" by saying NO, knowing I probably would give up.

I had gotten a hardship driver license at 13, so I could drive to school, as we lived way out in the country, so I had a pickup truck already. One day, I picked up the paper and looking through the want/for sale adds, and there it was!! IT, was a 1979 Yamaha YZ125 for sale in Sweetwater, only 36 miles away.!! I picked up the phone and called, and long story, shorter...........bought it!! I drove solo to town and paid for it, loaded it and came straight home.

When dad got home from work that night, he asked my mom, "Who's motorcycle is that in the yard?" Her smiling response was, "You told him when he got a job and could buy it himself, then he could have it, so you can't say a word!!" I was racing soon afterwards, and have ridden ever since!

I was 18 and still at home between college semesters. My older brother bought a 1972 Harley Sportster (AMF vintage; what a piece of junk; had to stop and tighten bolts every few miles). He was living in an apartment and didn't have a good place to keep it so it left it back at home and told me I could ride it as much as I wanted as long as I kept the oil changed and the tires aired up. Like giving a flamethrower to a kid that likes to play with matches. Did I ever have a good time!

This guy. He had the local dealership in Sturgis,SD. Bought my 1st and 2nd motorcycles from him in 1965 and 1967.

I got started by 2 coworkers a couple years apart. The first one let me ride his FZ-1, my first time in a motorcycle. The second let me ride his DR650. I was sold on dual sporting at first ride.

My dad. He regaled me with tales of he and his buddy cruising around and getting into trouble on a broke down Harley. When I turned 12, he bought a Sears 5hp mini-bike (street legal, no less) and then later in '73 a worn out late 60's 2-stroke Yamaha and Honda CL90. I had my MC leaner's permit the day I turned 14.5 years old.

Back