• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Who gets credit for getting you into motorcycles?

Economics and the State of Texas.

At 13 a new Honda SL100 was less than $500. Used bikes were less than $200. Mowing yards for $2-$5 each made it easier to afford a bike. You had to be 16 and take drivers Ed to get a car license, but only 15 and no DE for a motorcycle license. Also, bike ins was only $9 a year added onto my parents policy.

I also applaud the great state of Texas for mandatory helmet laws back in the day. I'm alive today because of it.

At 13 a new Honda SL100 was less than $500. Used bikes were less than $200. Mowing yards for $2-$5 each made it easier to afford a bike. You had to be 16 and take drivers Ed to get a car license, but only 15 and no DE for a motorcycle license. Also, bike ins was only $9 a year added onto my parents policy.

I also applaud the great state of Texas for mandatory helmet laws back in the day. I'm alive today because of it.

Dad had a red and black SL 100 along time ago. Remember him throwing gravel all over me and my KE on a test ride up the road. I have a GPZ also a 550. Drew

When I was kid I too was not allowed to even be seen in the vicinity of a motorcycle. But when I was 13 my cousin let me ride his Yamaha 100 in a parking lot in San Angelo where he lived. I was so excited to ride that I fixated on a curb and even though I went OTB (over the bars), I loved every second of that maiden ride. Been hooked ever since. I secretly rode friend's bikes when I could and bought my first bike when I was 18. And I'm still riding everyday at 59. So I owe my motorcycle addiction to my cousin Paul Wayne, may he rest in peace. :rider:

The "Then Came Bronson" series just put fuel on my fire. I had a '68 BSA 650 Lightning when it was on. I'd like to hear more about youi and Birney Jarvis. I read up on him a little. Extremely interesting fellow. Didn't he pass not long ago? There is a real cult following. I want to go to the next get together. The last one was in Colorado I believe. Are you keeping in the loop?

The next Bronson re-union will be march 1-7 in Canyon , Texas , and I am hosting it. Yes Birney passed last March 3, while We were having Our re-union at the National Motorcycle Museum.
I postsd a bunch of Birney/Bronson stories and pics under Vintage and project on this forum.
All are welcome to attend the Re-union, any fan of TCB is a friend of Ours! It is a very informal gathering, just for fun. We will have 6 Bronson replica bikes here at My place.
You can PM Me for more info.

I am currently restoring a 71 SL-100, also a 71 SL-350. SL-100 was My first bike.

I had a Bridgstone 90 with one of those cheezy stamped frames. My brother had a new '72 Suzuki TC90, green. The kids down the street had a gold Yamaha enduro 90, a red Suzuki TS90, a red SL100, a red SL70 and a blue SL125.

Later we got a Honda CB175, an SL350 and I had 2 SL175s one gold and one blue. A year later I got a sweet first edition XL250 with only 300 miles.:rider:

2005. Motorcycling was never a consideration before then, parents said they are death traps since I was young. thwt impression lasted until then. Had been at my fulltime fire/EMS less than a year, and our Citizen Fire Academy produced one guy who showed up on his motorcycle. As we got to know each other he shared his experiences and travels and gave me direction to basic rider course. Took it and 8 years and approx. 60000 miles later thoroughly enjoy the freedom, or at least the perception of it, that a motobike allows. One of the few activities where one can tune out electronics, if so desired. Way better than playing video games.

2005. Motorcycling was never a consideration before then, parents said they are death traps since I was young. thwt impression lasted until then. Had been at my fulltime fire/EMS less than a year, and our Citizen Fire Academy produced one guy who showed up on his motorcycle. As we got to know each other he shared his experiences and travels and gave me direction to basic rider course. Took it and 8 years and approx. 60000 miles later thoroughly enjoy the freedom, or at least the perception of it, that a motobike allows. One of the few activities where one can tune out electronics, if so desired. Way better than playing video games.

I like the way better than video games comment. Off subject:How reliable has the BMW been? Needing a dual sport ride and like the smaller Beemers. Drew

Good question for a lunch time downtime from the seismic mapping.

Growing up in Durango, CO in the mid-sixties the Honda T50s came out and were really something. Then the Super 90 Honda...and a friend of my big brother got a red one, then my brother got a black S90. **** what a bike in 1967: affordable, fun and reliable and you could buy it in little old Durango. The same year the MT50 out and we bought one, and then two for riding around our cabin at the base of Engineer Mountain just north of Purgatory Ski area. I learned to ride on my yellow and white MT50, then graduated to the S90, then bought myself a Honda Scrambler 175 that I rode all over SW Colorado including some offroad stuff.

College arrived, and no way to get bike to Golden, so sold it.
Enter 35 years of no bike, travel, career, marriage two daughters and a wife that hates motorcycles.

Enter a buddy Ed that I met at church with a BMW K bike and Ducati 1200 and an offer to visit the "toy store" and sit on a Triumph Bonnie, and lunch, then a ride on the back of the Bimmer...and the flames reignited. I pondered a few months, found Awesome Cycles and took the BRC, scored my M, concluded I could still ride at my age and some skills were there and lots of desire. I bought a Ninja EX 500, ramped up my riding and skills, and traded it on the Guzzi V7R last August....and it is the best of all hobbies, pursuits or passions. Next steps....slowly...maybe motorcycle camping, some longer distance trips out of the Houston area, maybe if the planets align I am lusting after a V Strom 650 to compliment the V7R.

That's my story and I am sticking to it. Oh, and to add I think this forum is an excellent fit to who I am, my interests and age and experience. I am not a super sport rider and prefer caution and prudence over speed and daring. There is an old saying: "age and treachery will always win over youth and skill"....

We were living in Rome, and my dad came home with a 50cc Garelli streetbike. He taught my brother and I how to ride it around the apartment driveway and he would ride it to the office during the week. After a few weekends of circling the apartment I got bored and headed off into the city traffic. I was 13 and exporing the city - from the Vatican to Via Veneto and eventually off piste on some great trails with my buddy Jean Scott. I've been riding ever since ... THANKS DAD!!!!

Mid nineties I rented a room from a woman whose son had a very tall dirt bike. He let me take a spin down the street and then into a thick prickly bush patch. I was hooked!

Alas, it would be another 15 till I held another set of handlebars. But it was worth the wait.

We were living in Rome, and my dad came home with a 50cc Garelli streetbike. He taught my brother and I how to ride it around the apartment driveway and he would ride it to the office during the week. After a few weekends of circling the apartment I got bored and headed off into the city traffic. I was 13 and exporing the city - from the Vatican to Via Veneto and eventually off piste on some great trails with my buddy Jean Scott. I've been riding ever since ... THANKS DAD!!!!

Without dads alot of us would not be riding today. My dad taught me on a Kawasaki KE100. Big thanks to all those dads that take the time to get us on those long winding roads aboard two wheels.:rider: Drew

When I was 7 years old (1965). I was given a ride on the back of a Harley from a family friend.(dad knew about it, mom didn't) from that day on, I have been hooked!

I credit my mom, who told me that I could not have a motorcycle, and that motorcycle riders are bad people. So of course, when I was in college, I just have to have a bike!

I credit my mom, who told me that I could not have a motorcycle, and that motorcycle riders are bad people. So of course, when I was in college, I just have to have a bike!

What was your first ride? Important to post that and pics if you have them. Drew

No pics of the first bike, but here's the short list of bikes in my life:

Honda Trail 90 (pit bike)
Yamaha Enduro 80 (another pit bike)
'86 Husqvarna 250 (first "real" bike, unfortunately a junk heap, when I was 22)
'86 Honda CR125 (raced in motocross)
'06 Honda 919, first road bike, January 2012!

20130224_174522_bike919_zps4111e851.jpg

No pics of the first bike, but here's the short list of bikes in my life:

Honda Trail 90 (pit bike)
Yamaha Enduro 80 (another pit bike)
'86 Husqvarna 250 (first "real" bike, unfortunately a junk heap, when I was 22)
'86 Honda CR125 (raced in motocross)
'06 Honda 919, first road bike, January 2012!

20130224_174522_bike919_zps4111e851.jpg

Nice color on the Honda,good looking bike. Alot of us got our start in the dirt. I started out on a Ke 100 enduro. What got you to switch from the dirt bike to street? Drew

Nice color on the Honda,good looking bike. Alot of us got our start in the dirt. I started out on a Ke 100 enduro. What got you to switch from the dirt bike to street? Drew

Thanks man, I love this bike. I wanted to get to street bikes years ago, but I knew in my heart that I was too wild on bikes and would have ridden way past my abilities. I had to wait until I was mature enough to stay alive and enjoy the ride. Jury's still out on that one, but so far, so good!!!

Thanks man, I love this bike. I wanted to get to street bikes years ago, but I knew in my heart that I was too wild on bikes and would have ridden way past my abilities. I had to wait until I was mature enough to stay alive and enjoy the ride. Jury's still out on that one, but so far, so good!!!

Do you still have the 80 Yamaha? My buddy had a maroonish one that we rode around in the alley way at his house. If I remember right it was a GT80.. :rider: Drew

Me. I had no friends nor any family members that introduced me to motorcycles. I just happened to stop in to Kawasaki of Stafford one day in 1989. It was like love at first sight. I loved the machines and instantly started fantasizing about my future adventures on one. It was another year and 24 motorcycle magazines later that I finally bought my first one. It was a 1989 Kawasaki EX 500 with a full fairing. I had literally read so much and dreamed about it so much that by the time I got it I jumped on and drove off with no training. I had that bike for almost 8 years.

attachment.php

Do you still have the 80 Yamaha? My buddy had a maroonish one that we rode around in the alley way at his house. If I remember right it was a GT80.. :rider: Drew

Yeah, the GT80 Enduro! Used to ride it around inside and outside my dad's car shop. It's long gone - my mom sold it off when my dad passed away. :doh:

Yeah, the GT80 Enduro! Used to ride it around inside and outside my dad's car shop. It's long gone - my mom sold it off when my dad passed away. :doh:

Saw one on craigslist last week,cannot remember the price but it was tempting. Someone had painted it yellow. I have a XL80S that is a running project that needs somemore attention. Drew

My Dad used to tell stories of my Grand-dads 'adventures' on a BSA hack in the UK, then my brothers got old enough to ride (Suzuki GT125), then I got my pillion spot, and that was pretty much the final straw really..... I was hooked.
300k miles or so later, I am still into them.
Not sure if the title should be credit or blame though, depends who you ask...

Back