• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Who gets credit for getting you into motorcycles?

Me. I had no friends nor any family members that introduced me to motorcycles. I just happened to stop in to Kawasaki of Stafford one day in 1989. It was like love at first sight. I loved the machines and instantly started fantasizing about my future adventures on one. It was another year and 24 motorcycle magazines later that I finally bought my first one. It was a 1989 Kawasaki EX 500 with a full fairing. I had literally read so much and dreamed about it so much that by the time I got it I jumped on and drove off with no training. I had that bike for almost 8 years.

attachment.php

Yes those motorcycle magazines. Those were our dream catalogs like Sears was for toys when we were kids!!! Every month another tempting fast and beautiful bike featured in their pages. Enough to drive a young man insane. The tech page for the quarter mile times wow how fast modern bikes are compared to then. I remember combing thru the articles and reading them again and again. How many remember the first GPZ, Z1R ,RZ350 or the 81 CB750F? Those were bikes that got our blood boiling. Drew

maybe you need another hobby...
you hijack your own threads

Thank you for such valueable imput. This really adds so much to the conversation. I truly apprecaite your concern and thanks for looking out for me. The only reason I joined this Forum is for people like you to critique me. Sorry for the inconvenince this has caused you. Please accept my sincere and genuine apology. Drew

Anybody else have a good story about their first motorcycle ride and what set the switch to on? Who started you down the motorcycle path,trail,or highway? Dad,a buddy,that Cycle guide ad,who cause your affliction and set you down the road to freedom on two wheels? Drew

I know there are some newbees to TWT that have not chimed in with there story,so heres your chance.

I need to supplement mine to say it is my wives fault that I am back to riding on a regular basis. I have a good buddy Carl that let me ride his two bikes and even though I had motorcycles they only got rode around in my neck of the woods not all over. She thought it might be a good idea since I talk about bikes all the time to get one that I could go long distances on. Plus ride around with Carl and do the things pals do while riding their bikes. So that is how I returned to the saddle. I know how many better-halves encourage,actually bug you to go out and buy a motorcycle? Finally after a long search I ended up with an 04 Kawasaki Concours.

Just recently I added a BMW to the corral. Same deal her fault again. Did not want me to leave the dealership without getting one or the other. Folks I have a keeper!!!!

So in a nut shell let us read about how you started your motorcycle career. Who was the influence or how you got your wings sort of speak.

Blame those women. ;-) Mine did not encourage me but she never, never was negative about it. When I decided to get back into motorcycling she only said don't expect me to ride. I feel fortunate to have a wife who supports my sport.

I was 13 in 1960 when a friend rode to my house on a single speed Cushman. It was a step through model with a long, wrap around sheet metal tail section. After going 30 mph without pedaling I was hooked for life. I hammered my father for a year and he finally bought me a two speed 1958 Cushman Eagle. It was a little tired but would top out at 40 mph, which was good because the brakes weren't.

Blame those women. ;-) Mine did not encourage me but she never, never was negative about it. When I decided to get back into motorcycling she only said don't expect me to ride. I feel fortunate to have a wife who supports my sport.

It really is fact!:trust: She knew that I wanted one and actually pestered me almost daily about "did you find one yet." I have a keeper for sure. At the dealership she really did not want to leave till I picked out one or the other. She would call me when I was looking and tell me about one that was for sale. So it is all her fault. Somebody should make a song about that.:rofl: See "its her fault! New horse in the stable" to see the new ride.

[ame="http://youtu.be/MUTf5qvS0Lo"]MargaritaVille - YouTube[/ame]

My Dad showed me. having some fun with 6 wheels at first. 67Jigger
dad was hardcore amphibous back then

Although when that new Rupp bike showed up Christmas Day i was stoked.
mom just laughed and said your going to get hurt i remember saying thanks mom a whole bunch .

few times more than i could count or remember i can still remember Dad showing me how to fix that Centrif clutch right so it would burn up from all the wheelies i could do. That started it all 6 years old at the time

My Dad showed me. having some fun with 6 wheels at first. 67Jigger
dad was hardcore amphibous back then

Although when that new Rupp bike showed up Christmas Day i was stoked.
mom just laughed and said your going to get hurt i remember saying thanks mom a whole bunch .

few times more than i could count or remember i can still remember Dad showing me how to fix that Centrif clutch right so it would burn up from all the wheelies i could do. That started it all 6 years old at the time

The yellow one reminds me of a GI JOE toy I had when I was a kid.

The yellow one reminds me of a GI JOE toy I had when I was a kid.

its been quite awhile BUT.. :doh: Can you say The Monkeys T.V. Show and the Jigger Corp.
Designed in 62 came out in 65 for the space program shortly thereafter about 2 years owner lost the contract w/ NASA:eek2: hundreds left on dealers warehouses in the states, Straight out of Canada you had to be the Craftsman just too keep it Running w/ stick steering .. man that thing would fly and just bounce afterwards great memories for sure.

I may or may not get alot of flak for this, but I started out with this guy.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfhrTdCzY6g"]This was his first video I saw.[/ame]

Popped up in my feed, and it inspired me to get into bikes.

Been watching him ever since.

It really is fact!:trust: She knew that I wanted one and actually pestered me almost daily about "did you find one yet." I have a keeper for sure. At the dealership she really did not want to leave till I picked out one or the other. She would call me when I was looking and tell me about one that was for sale. So it is all her fault. Somebody should make a song about that.:rofl: See "its her fault! New horse in the stable" to see the new ride.

MargaritaVille - YouTube

That is a song waiting to be written.

:doh:I had to be separated at birth. My immediate family would never do anything thst might be dangerous. Can you spell Boring in all caps?
So, to answer your question, it just happened!

Yes those motorcycle magazines. Those were our dream catalogs like Sears was for toys when we were kids!!! Every month another tempting fast and beautiful bike featured in their pages. Enough to drive a young man insane. The tech page for the quarter mile times wow how fast modern bikes are compared to then. I remember combing thru the articles and reading them again and again. How many remember the first GPZ, Z1R ,RZ350 or the 81 CB750F? Those were bikes that got our blood boiling. Drew

I should add that I was a complete and total squid those first 8 years with the exception that I always wore a helmet. ;)

I should add that I was a complete and total squid those first 8 years with the exception that I always wore a helmet. ;)

Yes I played a tad bit of squid Tuesday...............could not help it ......it was a moment of weakness. Trying to avoid the traffic jam on the highway,down to one lane so I re-routed thru town in squid like fashion.:trust: Fun,fun,fun!

My husband got me on them, as a teenager though i was scooting about on my Honda spree to get to and from school. before that i had my Big Wheel black with flames. i rocked that from age 3-8.

My parents and brother have always owned motorcycles. I never had in interest.

Several months ago I was poking around the internet and found this video (and his other videos):
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85VErvTqgWc"]The Modern Motorcycle Diaries - YouTube[/ame]

After watching it, I thought I that I might enjoy a motorcycle as a toy for road trips out here in the panhandle. I did some poking around (forums and such) and a few weeks later I took the MSF and purchased a used bike. Been loving it ever since.....

I had wanted a motorcycle for decades. Didn't get one until I was 41 (street bike). Not sure I can give credit to anyone for that. Wish I could. My dad had one when I was a youngun' but I don't remember it, just saw a picture of it.

Back around 1960 I use to ride my bicycle down to the place where the paper boys rolled the newspaper. I thought those guys were the coolest guys. Most of them had motorcycles to throw the paper. I remember most of them had Mustangs or Cushmans and there was one on a 125 Ducati single. My Dad knew I wanted something with 2 wheel so bad so he bought me a scooter type thing for $50 which resembled a Cushman step thru but was smaller. It was not street legal and I was only 12 at the time, but I put many miles on it in neighborhood and went thru 3 engines on it. When I sold it to a neighbor he ending up buying me a used 1965 Honda Super 90 with 250 miles on it from one of the neighbors when I was 15. I was actually lucky because my Mom hated motorcycles because she had a cousin killed on one back in the 40's. Thanks Dad.

Back