• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Who gets credit for getting you into motorcycles?

My stepfather and stepuncle, Ron n Roger! BSA Victor 441 and Triumph 650 Bonneville!
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Trying to make it to the Tomball Pie Run on the 28th. By the way, my first BMW was an R65LS...I traded it in on an R100 when I started lusting for more cc's... but eventually started working my way back down again!

I have always liked smaller bikes and since I got the F650GS I am really starting to like them more. The Concours is a great bike but it is so so heavy. Now if Kawasaki made a 750cc 450 pound Concours JR. I would be happy. I always check the kickstand by placing my foot on the stand and pulling back on the bars. The first time I did it on the BMW I almost tipped it over because it is so light.

This just occurred to me.... the Sears Catalog. One of our most popular books in the house when I was growing up. Browsed the bikes there all the time.

My dad. When I was 10 or so, my dad made the absurd decision to buy my mom a motorcycle for her birthday. She didn't want one. It only took one ride and that was it. One day, I knew that I'd be riding.

This just occurred to me.... the Sears Catalog. One of our most popular books in the house when I was growing up. Browsed the bikes there all the time.

I think I've mentioned this on this forum before, but a few years after the bikes appeared in the catalog, I owned both a Sears (Puch 250 "twingle") and a Wards (Benelli 125)... Rode the little blue Benelli to San Jacinto College every evening, terrorized by the skinny tires barely making it over the drainage grates in the Washburn Tunnel-- they were almost narrow enough to slip between the bars-- but it was a fun nightly ride, otherwise.

Any pictures of those rides?:photo:
I have been looking for the pictures for a long time, with my and their moves it's been a long journey.
uploadfromtaptalk1381667982310.jpg
This is as close to one that I can get.
But I'll keep trying!

Yeah, it was a lot lighter and so was I. But suspension no where near as good as the F650 and all those other much better bikes I can't get a leg over.

Yeah, it was a lot lighter and so was I. But suspension no where near as good as the F650 and all those other much better bikes I can't get a leg over.

Saw a beautiful yellow BMW 650 single in SA for sale on craigs list awhile bike I should have went and looked at.

1978 my oldest brother let me take my girl home on his brand new RD400. Wahoo that adventure began. I bought a bike 2 years before my first car. Been hooked ever since.

Attachments

• 78rd400.jpg
    78rd400.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 170
Don't forget "On any Sunday"

Great movie to watch with a young kid. Makes them think hey I can do that if dad would get me one. Bet that movie alone launched people into the motorcycle world more than any other. Wish some director would do a modern version of it. KP

Does he still own it?:rider:

No it got stolen 3x, he got it back twice then on the 3rd time ten years later the found it at the bottom of the Mission Bay in San Diego frame only....Tear

Great movie to watch with a young kid. Makes them think hey I can do that if dad would get me one. Bet that movie alone launched people into the motorcycle world more than any other. Wish some director would do a modern version of it. KP

Kinda new Version in "Dust to Glory". I've seen it 100s of times and never get tired of it.

No it got stolen 3x, he got it back twice then on the 3rd time ten years later the found it at the bottom of the Mission Bay in San Diego frame only....Tear

Kinda new Version in "Dust to Glory". I've seen it 100s of times and never get tired of it.

Will ask for it for my birthday.

i don't know who he was, a friend or relative of a family in the neighborhood gave rides to all us kids when i was 6 or 7. i remember it being a BSA and i remember the ride. i was hooked after that and dreamed of the day i could have a motorcycle. later on i did own a xs650, it was as close as i could afford to get to that day.

My step dad was a Honda rider and he put me on a Honda CL160 Scrambler when I was 13 years old. I followed him around in and around San Antonio way back in 1967. I do not remember what he was riding at the time. I remember it changed often though.

Any newbies out there want to add to the story line? Who put you in the saddle the first time? Was it dad,a friend,the uncle with the old BMW or Triumph?

My dad always had a Honda of some sort when I was growing up. However, my love really came when they gave me a Kawasaki KD100 when I was 11 (1980) for Christmas and we lived in Alief/SW Houston on the Braes Bayou. Wow, what fun that was. Chased by HPD a couple of times, managed to make it back to the house both times...

Cool thread...
The hooligan kid riding through my baseball practice field with a hot girl on the back. That image is burned into my brain for life. I was 14,on my 8th year of little league BB. 3 months later my dad and I each owned half a KDX 200. I paid him back $100 each month for 4 months. Some of the best memories of my life. Thanks Dad.

KTM 950 adv(gravel)
KTM 300 XC-W (tight woods racing)

Chased by HPD a couple of times, managed to make it back to the house both times...

That's funny. I was chased by a Game Warden for passing him through a low water crossing. Not plated of course. Just got my DL permit though. Got a strong warning, but never stopped me. I just quit carrying ID. Haha.

KTM 950 adv(gravel)

Cool thread...
The hooligan kid riding through my baseball practice field with a hot girl on the back. That image is burned into my brain for life. I was 14,on my 8th year of little league BB. 3 months later my dad and I each owned half a KDX 200. I paid him back $100 each month for 4 months. Some of the best memories of my life. Thanks Dad.

KTM 950 adv(gravel)

Had a KDX that was stolen from my moms place along time ago. Have any pictures of it?:photo:

Back