• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Who rode in today?

Thursday morning looks very cold but boss lady needs truck so ride I must! lol

I got home dry yesterday. Only ever had a sprinkle a couple hours after I got home. Today it's just warm and humid, not supposed to rain. I'll take it!

Same here. I rode yesterday and made it just ahead of the rain. Rain and storms were forecast so today it was a car day.

I got rained on yesterday and today. Possibility of frozen stuff tommorow, but I bet it won't stick. I'm still thinkin about it.....

Interesting. My gear is fine down in the low 40s going faster than that on my Africa Twin. It's a little bit of a different story in the DR though...
Yep, I tend to wear long underwear any time it's cold. Cold is not my thing.

I'll take cold over hot any day. It's much easier to warm up than to cool off. Never mind the whole indecent exposure problems...
'Xactly. Plus in the cooler months I get to put on all the protective gear I want. Colder denser air lets the engine makes more power. What's not to like?

Btw, almost too warm on the way home today.

'Xactly. Plus in the cooler months I get to put on all the protective gear I want. Colder denser air lets the engine makes more power. What's not to like?

Yep, but I minded the humidity more than the temperature today.

Ended up having to work a couple of hours on my day "off", so got to get an hour ride in today with great temps(to me).

Road warrior :thumb: . 55*and 70mph dont mix for me :tears:
My secret is handwarmer packs in my gloves between my glove liners, on the back of my hand, so that it's warming the blood that circulates into my fingertips, and this morning I threw one into my shirt pocket under my jacket and in my jeans pocket. I have a 51 mile commute each way, but it's honestly not bad even at 35degF. Traffic was light this morning.

Edit: Well, there was this exciting moment on the way in.

Last edited:
No riding today... obviously. I prefer cold over hot, but I can't hack wet.

BTW, FWIW... the type of bike makes a huge difference. My all time favorite commuter is the Triumph Trophy SE. With the stock screen raised some 2-3", I get a perfect bubble of still air around me. The OEM heated grips get hot enough to fry eggs. I could ride in my Summer gloves and mesh in 55F at hwy speed and not be too uncomfortable. Not that I would do that on purpose, but I did get caught a time of two when a cold front blew through and dropped the temp. In the Summer, with the screen lowered all the way down, I get a good breeze to my helmet and just enough air flow to my upper chest for evaporative cooling (too much of that hot air is actually not good in the heat of Summer).

Something to think about, especially since naked bikes are all the rage right now.

My secret is handwarmer packs in my gloves between my glove liners, on the back of my hand, so that it's warming the blood that circulates into my fingertips, and this morning I threw one into my shirt pocket under my jacket and in my jeans pocket. I have a 51 mile commute each way, but it's honestly not bad even at 35degF. Traffic was light this morning.

Edit: Well, there was this exciting moment on the way in.

And that's why lane splitting in moving traffic is dangerous. I'll only do it when the cars are stopped, and even then, not all that often. But I'm not in California either.

And that's why lane splitting in moving traffic is dangerous. I'll only do it when the cars are stopped, and even then, not all that often. But I'm not in California either.

But you have no problem jumping the concrete median and going the other way. Leaving your buddies thinking WTH? :lol2:

I've never lane split, seems asking for trouble in the sticks.

I do it every day, 4 days a week, for between 15-35 miles of a 51 mile commute. I've been down once in four years, and it saves me between 1-2.5 hours a day. This wasn't even "a close one" just "a little excitement." ;)

I'll take cold over hot any day. It's much easier to warm up than to cool off. Never mind the whole indecent exposure problems...
I ride in both but much prefer the heat. I don't commute or do in town stop and go riding either so always maintain airflow and evap cooling. Problem with cold is when rain gets added to it. That's usually a trip stopper when riding at a decent speed.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I ride in both but much prefer the heat. I don't commute or do in town stop and go riding either so always maintain airflow and evap cooling. Problem with cold is when rain gets added to it. That's usually a trip stopper when riding at a decent speed.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
Yep. I try to avoid riding in the rain, no matter the temperature. I'm usually pretty successful, but it's definitely better getting wet when it's warm out!

Since this is more or less a commuting thread, I assume that's what we are talking about. For that, I watch the weather report like a hawk and avoid riding in the wet like it's the Corona Virus. If it looks at all questionable in the morning, I don't ride in. On the way home, I do get caught occasionally, which is why I keep a set of good rain gear at work. And if I get soaked - by rain or by sweat - the ride isn't that long for me and I can jump in the shower at home to cool off or warm up, depending on which way it went.

That said, day rides and touring considerations are, of course different. We got caught in a heavy downpour on our way to the Three Sisters one Summer and were completely drenched. By the time we got to our lunch stop an hour and half after the rain stopped, we were basically dry. We didn't bother with rain gear because they don't breathe and would get unbearably hot. For the cooler months, rain gear becomes a much more viable tool.

33* here but ride I must today, honestly dreading the 25 minute ride but boss lady needs the truck today!!

Back