• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Who rode in today?

It was nice and brisk this morning with a lovely ride home in the afternoon. Came home to some bike parts on the porch too!
38e22c5ca608aa3fb9bf20195088dd14.jpg

Not today, but this weekend.

Did an organized ride in Oklahoma based out of the Seaba Station motorcycle museum in Warwick, Ok. Had to be around a 100 bikes there.

On Saturday there was an afternoon get together with riding obstacles and a night ride into the woods with a very challenging deep sand course. Realized just how pathetic the stock KTM 500 headlight is!

That night I camped out which was one of the most miserable nights of my life. Inexperienced and totally unprepared for the near freezing weather, I was never so happy for the morning to arrive.

Sunday was a planned 150 mile loop of mostly dusty, straight unpaved roads BUT punctured with some glorious long trail rides through beautiful terrain. They varied from fast to technical. They were AWESOME. I almost forgot about the misery of the night before.

The organizers did an amazing job. I hope I can get back to there again soon. When it warms up.

I've been riding all this week. On monday and wednesdays I get off work at around 8:30 pm. Last nights high 40's and drizzle had me wishing for some heated gloves, but the rest was ok.

I've been riding all this week. On monday and wednesdays I get off work at around 8:30 pm. Last nights high 40's and drizzle had me wishing for some heated gloves, but the rest was ok.
I love my heated grips. They work with any gloves I happen to be wearing!

Broke out the gerbings jacket liner yesterday and hung my mesh jacket up In the gear closet for the winter.

Finally got around to ride in. Haven't done it since the temp dropped. 49F, so I wore a thin sweater under my Astar Andes V2... darn near overheated. I need to remember how to gear up properly for cool weather.

I had another nice ride this morning. I just wish I had some wind/waterproof glove covers. I don't need thick insisted gloves with my heated grips, but it'd be nice not to have the wind blowing through my summer gloves!

Also, I'm ready for Chick-fil-A to start doing take out again. Spent 15 minutes in the drive through when it'd have taken 2 to walk in...

It has been a nice few weeks.
I have not even started my truck in the past 3 weeks, and not driven it to work in the past month at least.

This morning was just the right temp for just my mesh jacket. A little cool, but not bad (but then I only have a 3 mile ride to work).

Not so much a ride in but a 460 mile ride back home from northern Kansas. Started out with thick fog and 46 degrees and ended with 78 and sunshine.

Well it was 50 and barely stopped raining but I rode to work today, lol! Might take a little spin when I get off if it warms up a hair.

Just used a golf cart to run an errand, I might not ride, still very chilly! lol

Shoot... this is perfect riding weather! I would've ridden in if not for all the big puddles of muddy water on Tanner Rd from last week's rain. It's gonna take another 2-3 days of dump trucks splashing over them to dry them out. Until then, I have to hose down my car when I get home everyday, just to rinse off the mud splatter. :miffed:

Run an errand from H-town to Navasota
Absolutely brilliant ride
Nice to be out and about and not riding through a Turkish steam bath.

Was a little chilly this morning for sure.

First time riding on the Wing in the cold.
While much better wind protection that my old Shadow, when 32°F outside, it is cold.
Just had on my scrub pants, long socks, hightop motorcycle shoes, scrub tops, thin vest, liner for jacket, mesh jacket, glove liners and regular gloves.
Rid in today was about 20 minutes, mostly highway speeds.
My legs and feet were OK. Chest and arms were fine, hands a little cool, but not bad, but forgot my head sock that covers my neck also, so my neck was freezing.
And I don't know why Honda bothers with the heat vents on the bike, as far as I can tell, they blow nothing even resembling warm air, even with the radiaitor vents covered.

Just scrub pants! Wow, I would have froze. Sunday was 50, I wore jeans with long underwear, just ok. My commute is about the same as yours. 20 minutes.

Today at 28* would have been a tough call. But I don't leave to 8930 when I work, so warms up a little by then and sun is up!! My problem, I can gear up enough to make it bearable, but dang some days not worth the effort for 20 minute ride, lol. Lazy.

Just scrub pants! Wow, I would have froze. Sunday was 50, I wore jeans with long underwear, just ok. My commute is about the same as yours. 20 minutes.
I the Goldwing has good lower wind protection, especially since I have the wind wings that deflect even more air.
My normal ride to work is about 10 minutes, but am working at another location today that is a little further away.

My commute is only 10 minutes riding like a socially responsible person. It takes that long to get dressed in the Rukka, boots, gloves and neck gaiter, seal myself up and get the helmet on. Then I have to take it off and make myself presentable for work. I enjoy riding in this weather but that's too much effort for anything less than 30 minutes of riding.

I have Gore Wind Stopper undergarments I could use under my clothes but that requires getting undressed at work to rid the bulk.

I love my Rukka gear for LD touring but I wouldn't mind a lightweight 1 piece like a Roadcrafter light for Firstgear Thermo that's quick in-and-out for days like this. My commute wasn't always this short.

If it's possible to actually get a bike night in before Christmas for Katy, I'll make the effort to get dressed for it Nolan. We had some chatter a couple weeks ago but that's all it was... chatter. I'll try again in that section.

Years ago when I commuted on the bike I went to goodwill and got a snowmobile suit that fit over my regular riding gear. It was easy on and off and was super warm. It was straight out of the sears catalog circa 1978 probably, it was brown with white pin stripes and a huge furry collar. It looked hideous but function was great.

Years ago when I commuted on the bike I went to goodwill and got a snowmobile suit that fit over my regular riding gear. It was easy on and off and was super warm. It was straight out of the sears catalog circa 1978 probably, it was brown with white pin stripes and a huge furry collar. It looked hideous but function was great.
Back when Cabella's used to send me 10 catalogs a year, I bought a Jeff King Iditarod suit for a few hundred. Full Goretex, seam sealed but before the Gore was laminated so it still absorbed water making it heavy. Tent silicone spray helped but didn't last at highways speeds for too long. Lasted me a good 5 years before I bought a real motorcycle suit that would actually protect me if I crashed. But not a bad alternative at the time.

For cool/cold weather riding, a pair of overpants are a must in my book. Mine keep my legs nice and warm down to the 30's. Even cold morning commute in high 20's is okay. Any lower than that, I start worrying more about the bike (tires particularly) working well, than me staying warm.

Plus they peel right off when I arrive. With work pants underneath, I'm good to go.

With my short legs and long torso, most suits don't work well. I prefer 3/4-length jackets anyway... lots of pockets and good overlap over the pants.

Back