• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Why migrate to a Maxi Scooter?

I think the Burgman650 had a rough ride IF the road wasn't smooth. That said, it obviously wasn't enough to deter me from owning several.

Step thru with low COG in a true cycle is kinda hard to argue with.

I missed my scooter despite the lowered RT being in the garage. I found a deal last month in E. TX and brought home another TMAX. :doh:

(sidenote - I am a mere 15 posts away from 10K. I guess I better head to OT. :) )

Last edited:
I can't see myself being without my 650 Burgman. Still, the grin factor when I think of riding it instead of taking the truck. My manhood suffers none while on my scoot. I love the car tire on the rear too. I'll be getting another Burgman when I return stateside in a couple of months. I hauled two sacks of ninty pounds of cement, one on the step thru and the other on the rear seat. Did i tell you how much I love this scooter?

Last edited:
I'm interested in this topic because my ailing father in law has a Yamaha 2009 TMax 500. He can't ride it anymore and I'm going to sell it for him. Is the TMax considered a decent scooter in the maxi-scooter market? Are there shortcomings about this bike I should know?

The Yamaha TMax 500 is a desirable scooter in the maxi-scooter market. Yamaha has reintroduced it for 2016 in an upgraded style and price making the 2009 models very attractive in the used market.

I looked at it when I bought my Piaggio Mp3 500 and was very impressed. I found a great deal on the Piaggio that I couldn't pass up.

It's a fast, capable scooter, a little tall for some, but a great bike. You should have no trouble selling. :rider:

I agree the Tmax is a good scooter. It's kind of considered the sport bike of scooters. Biggest negative for it is that it's luggage capacity is on the small side for a maxi-scooter. Still it has enough luggage capacity for most uses.

Thanks guys. That's encouraging. I'll need to get it to the house and get it advertised.

One thing your might want to check on with that bike. There were some fuel pump issues with some of the T-Max bikes. I believe there was a recall in some countries but not in the USA. However I know of at least one person that got their fuel pump replaced for free.

One thing your might want to check on with that bike. There were some fuel pump issues with some of the T-Max bikes. I believe there was a recall in some countries but not in the USA. However I know of at least one person that got their fuel pump replaced for free.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Yeah it was called TMAX fever and the consensus is it was a bad fuel pump and you can tell by a code color on the pump. Just to give you an idea on pricing, I found an 09 in blazing yellow with under 3K miles for $3500. It does lack storage the Burgman 650 has and seat height is a bit higher but it is pretty light compared to the Burgman which is a porker so it is not a big issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I worried about all the things that have been mentioned here. I finally bought a Yamaha Morphus. It was big and very smooth and quiet. Possibly the smoothest ride I have ever had. The only thing I can say bad about any of the scooters is that with the smaller wheels
do not take gracefully to road debris and bumps. They are more prone to crash when they hit a sharp edged chuckhole that is at a little angle to your direction. I know this because one killed me in 2009
I was traveling at a modest speed of 40 MPH when a deer appeared about a foot in front of me. I awoke on the road in horrible pain then mercifully went back out. I woke up 3 1/2 days later in an intensive care unit. I later met a deputy who investigated my crash. He showed me photographs the showed my bike in the road, the deer dead on the shoulder, and a body under a blanket. I asked if that was me. When he responded in the affirmative, I asked why was I under the blanket. He said I was dead. That's not breathing and no heartbeat. The EMTs arrived shortly after and I don't know what they did, (I don't even remember the crash), but they took me to an open field and I was helicoptered to an E.R.
It happened on the first day of summer and I watched the whole summer go by from a hospital window. I have not trusted small diameter wheels since. The wheels on my Morphus were 13" and 14".

^
The best resurrected thread for sure!
What a story.

Yes an interesting story but I don't see how it supports his contention on the smaller wheels. He didn't hit something with the wheels. He hit a deer with the bike. Hitting a deer can make any bike go down.

I know of two people that have been killed when they hit deer with full sized dresser bikes with regular sized wheels. I know of a fellow that hit a deer with his Burgman 650. Hit it square on and it came up over the front of the bike taking the windshield off and covering him with deer guts. Not only did he not go down he rode the bike home.

When you hit something like a deer it's a crap shoot how it will come out. I know of people that have demolished cars when they hit deer.

That's good to hear. I just picked up a '07 Burg 400 with 28k miles on it. The seller had said most people went running for the hills as soon as they saw the mileage, figuring the motor was on it's last legs, so I was able to buy it for a song. Seems perfectly healthy to me.

Just over 136,000. Coming up on 48,000 on my 400.

If you had the 400 first, would you have rolled up that many miles? I.e., is that 400 as capable on the road and is the wheelbase similar?

If you had the 400 first, would you have rolled up that many miles? I.e., is that 400 as capable on the road and is the wheelbase similar?

Got the two of them at about the same time. The 650 in Feb 2007 and the 400 in June 2007. The 650 was a planned buy and the 400 was just a happenstance.

The 400 is capable on the road and the wheelbase is just a fraction of an inch different. I've taken it on a number of long trips. However the 650 is just a more comfortable bike for long trips. I use the 400 more for local riding hince the lower total numbers.

Part of the reason the 650 is more comfortable is I've did more customization work on it. An after market seat to accommodate my long legs for instance. But it is also more powerful and smoother at speed. Where the 400 starts feeling busy at about 65 the 650 is still running easy. The 650 also has more reserve power for passing at highway speeds. I can get out and around cars at will. On the 400 I have to plan ahead for spots to pass.

^
The best resurrected thread for sure!
What a story.

I will take a chance that the penalty for bumping an old thread isn't too harsh. Been on my Burgman 650 since the end of March this year. I traded a MG Norge and still have a GW and HD but the MG was my main bike. I had a few reasons for going to this bike. First thing is that I am working away from home and living in an RV Park so no garage to work in, (read that reliability is paramount). As much as I liked the Guzzi and it made me smile to ride it the dealer network made me mad most of the time. My work is more than full time so the two factors above made me want to go to something different. The Burgy fit that description for me. Reliable as an anvil and an excellent touring bike (small tank is the only limiting factor) and is an even better commuter bike. I ride everyday so comfort and ability to store a laptop and office supplies is important. Another thing that made the choice easier was just wanting to get away from the typical big bike, fair weather rider types. I have about 13K miles on it so far and really enjoy doing trips on it and surprising some of the big bike types. I would have to say that since buying this bike, it has impressed me. Good power and handling and okay range and is reliable. I'm a confirmed maxi-scooter owner now.

Always OK in my book to add to a thread. Wonndering how much longer I can clutch, these Bergmans have always impressed me.

Just how small is your tank and realistic range the bike can go without needing a drink.

Always OK in my book to add to a thread. Wonndering how much longer I can clutch, these Bergmans have always impressed me.

Just how small is your tank and realistic range the bike can go without needing a drink.

Yea, that's it. My tank is bigger than the tank on the scooter. :rider: Even then it is usually about needing to drain a little off. :lol2: I like about 250 miles between stops. In most cases that's about 4 hours give or take a bit. The Burgy gives me about 3 hours of highway travel when cruising. Agreed, the Burgy is an impressive bike and underrated by a lot of those real biker types.

One of my 650 Burgman is in the Bahamas. I've ridden in excess of 5k miles there and the one road on the island is only a hundred miles long. POTHOLES!!! Guys, you have no idea the size and quantity of them. Cars run thru fields as they are less violent than the roads potholes. Several times I have hit potholes so severely, that I stopped, thinking I certainly ruined a tire or bent the wheel. But never a problem. I love my car tire on the rear and my Burgy has been flawless. ( that's why I bought a second one ) HB

One of my 650 Burgman is in the Bahamas. I've ridden in excess of 5k miles there and the one road on the island is only a hundred miles long. POTHOLES!!! Guys, you have no idea the size and quantity of them. Cars run thru fields as they are less violent than the roads potholes. Several times I have hit potholes so severely, that I stopped, thinking I certainly ruined a tire or bent the wheel. But never a problem. I love my car tire on the rear and my Burgy has been flawless. ( that's why I bought a second one ) HB

On a small island I would think you are doing some serious riding. Yea the potholes would be an issue. Not many really bad roads here like that but on the occasion that I have seen potholes, the Burgy isn't the best choice for a bike. I did the same with the rear tire. Been on a CT for about 7-8K miles so far. No negative issues or ill handling to report.

Back