• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Why not...Please sir, I want more Triumph

I'm on my 4th Triumph, really enjoying this one..

I like that 900TT! I'd like that with forward-set pegs. (Gotta have that.)

This was my wife's second bike, a 1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT. A vastly under rated bike!

These pics really don't do it justice. The green is that metallic Imperial Green. It got comments from people EVERYWHERE we went. I might as well have not even been there as no one ever noticed my VFR 800 :-P

While on a trip to North Carolina, a friend let her take a ride on his Sprint ST. When she got off, it was all like, "I think I need a bike that is more sporty..." At the time, there was NO WAY we could swing even a used ST. So she got an 01 SV 650S, which she loved, then a 98 VFR 800, which she loved even more. The Legend was great, but had a few short comings. It REALLY needed a 6th gear. The gas tank only held four gallons, so the range was limited as a touring bike. The battery was a bit small in terms of the needed cranking power and if it wasn't kept 100% charged, it could have trouble getting the bike to start and getting to it required tools, not just removing the seat with a key. That said, the motor was awesome. It was the 885 Triple. They were popular with ladies because of the low seat height. However, I used to take it out for a cruise all the time and shadow the sport bikes through the Sam Houston NF on the local favorite twisty road. I could hear them ripping through gears while I just sat back there in 5th gear the entire time enjoying the roll on torque of the motor. When they all pulled over at the end of the road at the gas station, I would often pull in behind them and they'd come over wondering what in the world I was riding! :lol2: The suspension was a bit soft and under damped, but it still did well enough to have some spirited fun! :rider:
I really admire what John Bloor did with his Hinckley Triumphs. He single-handedly revived the British motorcycle industry. Amazing that a small mfr can grow and prosper in the shadow of established giants.

Such a fun bike to ride! Not the most comfortable bike for my overly large body and I wish the gas tank was a bit larger, but puts a smile on my face every time I ride it! That exhaust sound in the Scrambler is addictive. I'm always revving it for no reason whatsoever. Sometimes I just go out to the garage and start it up just to listen. Lol!

What the heck happened here[emoji2962]

I really admire what John Bloor did with his Hinckley Triumphs. He single-handedly revived the British motorcycle industry. Amazing that a small mfr can grow and prosper in the shadow of established giants.

Ending up on an RT rather than a Sprint was a simple matter of timing. Bloor has done well with the mark. The only Hinkley I've ridden was a Tiger 800 which seemed a little pipey, especially on a rain slick Old Hwy 20, but I liked it a lot and compared with the BMW 800 price it would be easy to choose the Triumph.

Don't forget Les Harris. From the time that Triumph Engineering went out of business until Bloor began building in Hinkley, there were still Triumph Bonnevilles coming off of the assembly line. Despite changes in ownership, Triumph's have been around since 1902.

Don't forget Les Harris. From the time that Triumph Engineering went out of business until Bloor began building in Hinkley, there were still Triumph Bonnevilles coming off of the assembly line. Despite changes in ownership, Triumph's have been around since 1902.
The Les Harris bikes were more-or-less parts bin specials, based on the old Meriden designs, with Italian and German parts thrown in when the old English parts couldn't be sourced. It was basically a stop-gap measure, while Bloor set about creating brand new designs for his new Triumph company, using Japanese mfg philosophy. Some of the Hinckley bikes might look similar to the old Meriden designs, but they share as much bloodline as BMW's new Mini Coopers have in common with the "real" British Mini's.

I got passed by a bunch of these bikes at Eurosport Cycle's track day earlier this week. They were certainly impressive.

The Les Harris bikes were more-or-less parts bin specials, based on the old Meriden designs, with Italian and German parts thrown in when the old English parts couldn't be sourced. It was basically a stop-gap measure, while Bloor set about creating brand new designs for his new Triumph company, using Japanese mfg philosophy. Some of the Hinckley bikes might look similar to the old Meriden designs, but they share as much bloodline as BMW's new Mini Coopers have in common with the "real" British Mini's.

Yes, I am very aware of the history.

For those that may not be aware of it, the Moto2 class in MotoGP racing now uses a Triumph 675 spec engine for the whole class. This is the first season for them and thus far they have been doing great. They were using Honda 600cc spec engines in years past.

Minor correction... They are using 765cc race-tuned engines, based on what's in the current Street Triple RS and the supposedly up-and-coming new Daytona.

I like that 900TT! I'd like that with forward-set pegs. (Gotta have that.)

You can still find lightly used ones for sale. With a newer Lithium Ion battery, the cranking issues I mentioned due to a small battery might not be a problem.

I dream of a world where Triumph brings back a liter class bike.

....and it is the new standard.

I really liked the 955i Daytona circa 2000 or so. I have a poster of a beautiful silver one behind my desk here at work.

Back