• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Why not...Please sir, I want more Triumph

Speedies are intensely fun bikes to ride. Get your static sag set ASAP, though. Suspension on the last gen S3R was finicky to dial in right. Dunno if Triumph recalibrated the NIX30 and TTX36 on the new RS.
I've never laughed out loud in my helmet as much as I did on the way home yesterday. That bike is all kinds of fun.

I don't know anything about suspension tuning, but the bike felt good to me riding yesterday, which was really surprising as usually none of them do stock. Not sure if the dealer tweaked it for me or not. But then again, I don't know what "right" is supposed to feel like. It sure felt right leaned over in the corners on Lone Star Road yesterday. It was as if it was laughing at my corner entry speeds saying, "that all you got?"
You know it has a clutch, right?
What? The dealer didn't mention that. I'll double check.

I've never laughed out loud in my helmet as much as I did on the way home yesterday. That bike is all kinds of fun.

I don't know anything about suspension tuning, but the bike felt good to me riding yesterday, which was really surprising as usually none of them do stock. Not sure if the dealer tweaked it for me or not. But then again, I don't know what "right" is supposed to feel like. It sure felt right leaned over in the corners on Lone Star Road yesterday. It was as if it was laughing at my corner entry speeds saying, "that all you got?"
What? The dealer didn't mention that. I'll double check.
I might be coming up that way sometime in August. See what kind of spanner wrench is needed to adjust the shock. If I have the right one id be happy to stop by and help you set sag.

Congratulations. Similar feeling when I bought my Super Duke.

Your VFR was sporty, but there's an entirely different level with some bikes that is hard to understand until you own them where you can ride them like you want to.

Your VFR was sporty, but there's an entirely different level with some bikes that is hard to understand until you own them where you can ride them like you want to.
I have a 2 "friends" with the GT's. About as fun of a bike as I've ever ridden.

Hasn’t it been about a month since your last motorcycle purchase....partner that is too long for THE JARRETT! Your name has become a noun. or a verb.

Definition of Jarrett: (noun) one who purchases motorcycles frequently. [emoji23][emoji23]

It it could be a verb. Jarrett: to purchase motorcycles frequently. [emoji23][emoji23]

Verb: I did a Jarrett today
Noun: I am such a Jarrett

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks. After 250 miles on it today, I think I understand what you mean.

This is a whole different deal. Haven't had that much fun riding a motorcycle locally in maybe... ever.

This bike scares me. I like that. I was passing a lady in a jeep on 916 and decided to use half throttle this time instead of quarter throttle. As I kicked it into 5th from 4th, front wheel came up while I was doing I dunno 95 mph maybe. Traction control shut it down. Made me go :shock:

And I'm already going 5 mph faster in corners than I was on my VFR. And the bike feels like its just yawning at those speeds. Can't wait to get it to a track day. I stopped by Cresson this morning and talked to the RideSmart folks about attending one soon. Not sure if I want to go in August or not though. It was hot on the track at 9:45am.

After I left Cresson, I bumped into @Dahveed, @UncleBuck, and @TossingLead at a gas station in Godley and rode with them over to Glen Rose. Lots of fun, thanks for letting me tag along.

And finally, a pic of the actual bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been a regular here long enough to know the bikes you've had, but if you haven't gotten into tweaking your suspensions, you owe it to yourself to start with the Speedie. The premium bits beckons the rider to get the most of them. You look like a big boy, so setting the static sag is a must to get the NIX30 and TTX36 in a good working range while laden.

Even if you already have some shock spanner wrenches, get the Ohlins ones (2 far right in pic below). That TTX36 is such a beautiful work of sculptured art, you don't want to scratch it all up because a generic spanner keeps slipping off the notches. You can get by with one, but you need two to do it right.

Once you get the static sag set to your weight, dial the damping either to the OEM settings, or start with what these guys suggest:

https://www.cycleworld.com/sport-rider/suggested-sport-bike-motorcycle-suspension-settings/

Sport Rider magazine is no more, so they probably haven't updated with all the latest bikes. Not sure how close the new RS is to the 2012 S3R, which was very similarly equipped with NIX30 and TTX36. You might be good starting with their '12 S3R settings.

From there, any finer adjustments will need some hard riding to figure out. Track day would be perfect.

Congrats on one of Hinckley's finest.

Jarrett’s going to have get used to gas stations again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He only had the electric street bike f
And riding more than 85 miles again :)

Picked up the Speed Triple 6pm Saturday night with no miles on it.

21 hours later, it had 336 miles on it. Can't do that with an electric bike. At least not today.

Yep, and that is the biggest problem with electric vehicles today. Tesla has solved some of that, but apparently the electric motorcycle manufacturers have not. Of course, they’re aren’t any Superchargers where the riding is good too.

And riding more than 85 miles again :)

Picked up the Speed Triple 6pm Saturday night with no miles on it.

21 hours later, it had 336 miles on it. Can't do that with an electric bike. At least not today.
No miles on it, and you're already popping wheelies at 95mph... brave man indeed.

I'm hoping Triumphs are amenable to a spirited break-in :)
That's a philosophy thing and not brand specific.

AFAIK, unless Triumphs have changed their tune, this is typical of their run-in instructions, which IMO is one of most practical/realistic, without some ridiculous RPM/mph restriction table.

"Running-in is the name given to the process
that occurs during the first hours of a new
vehicle's operation.
In particular, internal friction in the engine will
be higher when components are new. Later
on, when continued operation of the engine
has ensured that the components have
'bedded in', this internal friction will be
greatly reduced.
A period of careful running-in will ensure
lower exhaust emissions, and will optimise
performance, fuel economy and longevity of
the engine and other motorcycle
components.
During the first 500 miles (800 kilometres):
• Do not use full throttle.
• Avoid high engine speeds at all
times.
• Avoid riding at one constant engine
speed, whether fast or slow, for a
long period of time.
• Avoid aggressive starts, stops, and
rapid accelerations, except in an
emergency.
• Do not ride at speeds greater than
3/4 of maximum engine speed.
From 500 to 1000 miles (800 to
1500 kilometres):
• Engine speed can gradually be
increased to the rev limit for short
periods.
Both during and after running-in has been
completed:
• Do not over-rev the engine when
cold.
• Do not let the engine labour. Always
downshift before the engine begins
to 'struggle'.
• Do not ride with engine speeds
unnecessarily high. Changing up a
gear helps reduce fuel consumption,
reduces noise and helps to protect
the environment."

I broke in my Super Duke by riding it to Arkansas. I took the new oil and filter with me and did the 600 mile oil change in the parking lot of the hotel in Morillton. I did vary between 4th, 5th and 6th on the way up there to keep the engine from running at the same RPM for hours on end.

Nice thing was that after 600 miles, KTM says you can ride it like normal...so after I got there, I got to play in the twisties without holding back. Was a pretty fun first weekend with it. Only thing that sucked was the seat....it's not so great for 500 mile days.

Having said that....I broke all the break in rules on the test ride before I bought it. You have to know what you are buying...right? I did let it fully warm up before I did some WOT launches though. I never push any engine hard until the oil is up to temp and that usually takes about 10 minutes of driving or riding. It may not be necessary as much any more with modern engines, materials and tolerances, but it just seems to make sense to not ask for all an engine can deliver until it's at full operating temp.

Last edited:
Oops...

It's tough to make it home from the dealer following those guidelines.

I can attest that you followed those reasonable guidelines on Sunday. Sadly I’m sure the ECU keeps track of your compliance with their recommendations and could come up if there is a serious warranty claim.

Back