• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Why not...Please sir, I want more Triumph

Speed Twin got cleaned today.

A9D254FA-2E2B-474C-A660-20A057451A8E.jpeg

B1F8B3D3-3271-46CB-9806-CEE90AF044CA.jpeg

The part you saw anyway :D

True!

It just occurs to me that if you're a big believer in "running-in" according to the manufacturers guidelines and even routine maintenance being done, uhm, routinely, you shouldn't be in the market for a used bike. No telling what the prior owners did during their time with the bike. Especially with the run-in procedure. It seems like some people think really flogging it hard is the best way, others (manufacturer's engineers) seem to think its best to be gentle. Now if you think that it doesn't really matter that much, go ahead and shop for a used bike.

It just occurs to me that if you're a big believer in "running-in" according to the manufacturers guidelines and even routine maintenance being done, uhm, routinely, you shouldn't be in the market for a used bike. No telling what the prior owners did during their time with the bike. Especially with the run-in procedure. It seems like some people think really flogging it hard is the best way, others (manufacturer's engineers) seem to think its best to be gentle. Now if you think that it doesn't really matter that much, go ahead and shop for a used bike.
It's a good point. My bikes hit the used market pre-flogged :)

Actually, buying used is an exercise in actuary science.

Sure it's true a guy could never be sure whether a particular used bike has only been gently farted on or dragged through the cesspool. But regardless of the canyon heroics you hear at group ride rest stops or tall tales you read about in forums, most riders, by and large, ride on the mild side. The newer and more expensive the bike is, the more likely that is the case. The particular make and model also has some correlation.

Besides, materials and methods of mfg today are such that vehicles today just last longer than they once did.

At the end of the day, looking at the previous owner like an insurance agent would will tell you lots about the bike. ;-)

Rev limiters give some protectors on used bikes. But two year old bike with low miles and half new price. It is a no brainier. I bought a rental bike once and it served well.. Has synthetic oil been changed regularly ,,🤗 it's on now! Oh the rental bike was a Triumph.

Last edited:
Man, my two favorite bikes, the speed twin and the street triple. Making me miss my trumpet. I wonder if it is still out there...somewhere...missing me too.

Just curious. Everyone of my Triumphs even the 2010 Tiger have had terrible weak lighting from headlight. How is the factory headlight on the Seed Twin and Speed Triple? Extra auxiliary lights solved the problem with mine. The best was my Royal Enfield, you could roast wieners on it. KLR had good light. Wee was ok. but needed aux. My XR650 has good light, but see better on low.

I spent some saddle time on a 1050 Speed Triple in Arkansas and Missouri on some crazy twisty roads. I did not realize just how fast I was going. Once I did, I thought I should probably slow down because jail time is not my idea of a good time... :shock: It rode like it was on rails and was smoooooth. The motor was incredible as was the sound when it was doing its thing! And then I got back on my KLR 650... :suicide: :lol2:

well, now sure..... that he's gotten over his fear of clutches
(I half expect his newest to have a rekluse)

I think that bike has a quick shifter on it so he should hardly need to use the clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After two full days of ownership, it was ready for the 500 mile service on Tuesday, but they couldn't get me in until today. Since I had to take it to the dealer this afternoon anyway, I decided to ride it into work today, a first for me. Going the long route was 68 miles. I went in early, so no traffic worries. Going in was kind of a blast actually.

Going to the dealer after work was a little more congested. Then headed home during rush hour was really congested. That's when I really missed my DCT as creeping along in traffic with a manual clutch sucks. But along the way, I was able to split off and run down Lone Star Road, FM875 and Lone Elm Road. Three of my faves in the area.

Most of my riding with this bike has been out in the boonies. It's so smooth its hard to judge how quickly stuff is happening. But today with cars around me doing 75 mph, I would gently roll on the throttle in 6th gear and the cars would disappear. It's silly how much roll on torque this bike has in 6th. No downshifting needed. I got to work and checked my ride computer and it said I had hit 102.7 mph somewhere along the way. No idea when it happened as it felt like I was just gently passing cars as needed. Compared to what I've been riding, this sucker is fast. And smooth. And fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
This video is what it sounds like when riding my bike better than I can. It was also the video that kind of sealed the deal on my test riding and ultimately buying the bike.

He starts getting warmed up around 3:40 or so:

Reactions: CPB
After two full days of ownership, it was ready for the 500 mile service on Tuesday, but they couldn't get me in until today. Since I had to take it to the dealer this afternoon anyway, I decided to ride it into work today, a first for me. Going the long route was 68 miles. I went in early, so no traffic worries. Going in was kind of a blast actually.

Going to the dealer after work was a little more congested. Then headed home during rush hour was really congested. That's when I really missed my DCT as creeping along in traffic with a manual clutch sucks. But along the way, I was able to split off and run down Lone Star Road, FM875 and Lone Elm Road. Three of my faves in the area.

Most of my riding with this bike has been out in the boonies. It's so smooth its hard to judge how quickly stuff is happening. But today with cars around me doing 75 mph, I would gently roll on the throttle in 6th gear and the cars would disappear. It's silly how much roll on torque this bike has in 6th. No downshifting needed. I got to work and checked my ride computer and it said I had hit 102.7 mph somewhere along the way. No idea when it happened as it felt like I was just gently passing cars as needed. Compared to what I've been riding, this sucker is fast. And smooth. And fun.

View attachment 239637

I thought you worked from home? And how did you ever hit 102 in the rush hour traffic? Hitting 32 is a feat in that stuff.

I got to work and checked my ride computer and it said I had hit 102.7 mph somewhere along the way. No idea when it happened as it felt like I was just gently passing cars as needed. Compared to what I've been riding, this sucker is fast. And smooth. And fun.

That was my reaction to the 1050 version I rode all those years ago. I had hit 100 mph without even realizing it. That is when I realized I'd either wind up dead or in jail if I kept riding the thing... :wary:

Back