• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Why not...Please sir, I want more Triumph

Down is better than up. Up is usually smooth 3-6, but sometimes 1 to 2 is clunky. Sometimes its smooth, sometimes its not.
My RS has the speed shifter, I've never tried 1 to 2 or 2-3 shifts, just seems like there's too much load on it, higher great are seamless!

I thought you worked from home? And how did you ever hit 102 in the rush hour traffic? Hitting 32 is a feat in that stuff.
Them bastids called me back in...

It wasn't during rush hour, it was during an early commute in. On the way home I was creeping like everyone else, but with a clutch.

My RS has the speed shifter, I've never tried 1 to 2 or 2-3 shifts, just seems like there's too much load on it, higher great are seamless!
Here is what the manual says about it:

"Triumph Shift Assist adjusts the engine torque to allow gears to engage, without closure of the throttle twist grip or operation of the clutch. This feature works for both up shifts and down shifts of gear. The clutch must be used for stopping and pulling away.

Triumph Shift Assist will not operate if:
• The clutch is applied.
• An up shift is attempted by mistake when in 6th gear.
• A down shift is attempted by mistake when in 1st gear.
• An up shift is attempted at very low engine speeds.
• A down shift is attempted at very high engine speeds.
• Cruise control is active.

Triumph Shift Assist will be disabled when riding, if a Triumph Shift Assist system malfunction is present. Use a positive pedal force and release your foot from the gear lever between gear changes to make sure there is a smooth gear change. "

I do wonder what low and high engine speeds consist of. I assume that's RPM's. It doesn't say anything about which gears to use it in though. Sometimes 1 to 2 is just as smooth as the higher gears, but most of the time its not.

"Triumph Shift Assist adjusts the engine torque to allow gears to engage, without closure of the throttle twist grip or operation of the clutch. This feature works for both up shifts and down shifts of gear. The clutch must be used for stopping and pulling away.

• The clutch is applied.

Triumph Shift Assist will be disabled when riding, if a Triumph Shift Assist system malfunction is present. Use a positive pedal force and release your foot from the gear lever between gear changes to make sure there is a smooth gear change. "

I do wonder what low and high engine speeds consist of. I assume that's RPM's. It doesn't say anything about which gears to use it in though. Sometimes 1 to 2 is just as smooth as the higher gears, but most of the time its not.
Wonder why it doesn't work in 6th, lol. BTW, beautiful bike!

That was my reaction to the 1050 version I rode all those years ago. I had hit 100 mph without even realizing it. That is when I realized I'd either wind up dead or in jail if I kept riding the thing... :wary:
"With great power comes great responsibility."

Wonder why it doesn't work in 6th, lol. BTW, beautiful bike!
It does work in 6th, unless you try to go to 7th :)

• The clutch is applied.

My experience is that clutchless upshifts and downshifts work best when you ride it hard and RPM"s are high as the system can vary the RPMs enough to create that smooth shift. When the engine is lugging and the gears are under heavy load, quick shifts don't work well.

I shift from 1-2 with full throttle on all 3 of my bikes with a quick shifter with good results. All 3 of them kind of suck from 1-2 if I'm at mid or low throttle. From 2 up, it's really the same as it's smoother the harder I'm riding it......but the "bad" shifts at low RPMs and throttle are actually still pretty good.

My experience is that clutchless upshifts and downshifts work best when you ride it hard and RPM"s are high as the system can vary the RPMs enough to create that smooth shift. When the engine is lugging and the gears are under heavy load, quick shifts don't work well.

I shift from 1-2 with full throttle on all 3 of my bikes with a quick shifter with good results. All 3 of them kind of suck from 1-2 if I'm at mid or low throttle. From 2 up, it's really the same as it's smoother the harder I'm riding it......but the "bad" shifts at low RPMs and throttle are actually still pretty good.

As a kid my dad taught upshift no clutch, downshift clutch. Some habit he picked up racing in the early 60s. I've been at it for almost 50 years and have at least 7 miles on the clock and have not managed to crater a transmission yet.

That might work for Spidey, but not with motorcycles, mate... especial that rowdy one of yours.

"With great power comes great Tomfoolery."
No kidding, I just peeked at my first 4 ride stats on the bike...

Scott was right, it IS hard to go under 100.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good info, thanks. I do find when I'm getting on it hard, the shifts are smoove.

And that even the worse quick shift is better than I can do :)

As a kid my dad taught upshift no clutch, downshift clutch. Some habit he picked up racing in the early 60s. I've been at it for almost 50 years and have at least 7 miles on the clock and have not managed to crater a transmission yet.
I know some guys ride a boatload of miles, but that... that is just impressive! :eek:

I put another 263 miles on it yesterday in the Hill Country. Bike impresses me more each time. Even when I overcook a turn, the brakes are really impressive and make things right.

Rolling through Austin traffic with a clutch sucked, but once I made it to the G1 roads, I was all smiles. My faves were Park Rd 4, Lime Creek Rd and Cow Creek Rd. I went back and forth on those a few times each.

I put another 263 miles on it yesterday in the Hill Country. Bike impresses me more each time. Even when I overcook a turn, the brakes are really impressive and make things right.

Rolling through Austin traffic with a clutch sucked, but once I made it to the G1 roads, I was all smiles. My faves were Park Rd 4, Lime Creek Rd and Cow Creek Rd. I went back and forth on those a few times each.

View attachment 239762
You're killing me, Smalls.

"I've been at it for almost 50 years and have at least 7 miles on the clock ..."
Maybe you can ride another 3 miles to hit an even 10 in the next twenty years. That would require more than your average. How much I don't know, CA public school on my end.

Wait, does your GS have a quickshifter?

Yes. But in stop and go traffic, the quick shifter doesn’t come into play. You have to use the clutch. I use the clutch most of the time anyway. Unless you’re really accelerating hard or off the throttle completely I find the quick shifter to shift faster, but not as smooth as I can. And that it’s point of a quick shifter. To make shifts as fast as possible for racing.

I’m sure in stop and go traffic an automatic transmission is nice. And I have one in my truck. 😃. I try to avoid riding the motorcycle in stop and go traffic. But sometimes you have to.

Last edited:

View attachment 239762

Awesome looking bike. Sucks I missed you this Friday. Ride would’ve been awesome, plus you rode near my hood.

MCN has a good Triumph review this month. Scrambler 1200XE 4 1/2 stars out of 5. Not bad for an unbiased test. No paid advertisements I think in MCN. Anyway, my favorite mag after Rider.

Back