• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

why two bikes? I wonder...

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
Keep the bikes. I have 3. A man needs about 5 to cover most variety of riding. Only reason I do not have a full complement is my wife's car takes up too much space in the garage:rider:

Your problem is that you're trying to make sense of motorcycle ownership. It is inherently illogical. So is most of our riding. We get up early in the morning, ride 200 miles to a BBQ joint, eat, then turn around and ride 200 miles back home... when there are 3 perfectly good BBQ joints 5 miles from home. Try explaining that to a non-rider.

Nobody needs a motorcycle, much less 2... or 3. It's not about needs; it's about wants.
Maybe illogical to mama but, its as logical as a new pair of shoes to me.

Hmm. Great comments. Nothing logical about owning or riding bikes other that it is fun and addictive and yeah very ingrained.

I may sniff around for a lightly used Kawa Ninja 250-400? Wonder if they are out there.

Cooling off from poodle walk so I can gear up for a Guzzi ride.

The most bikes I ever owned was 4. It happened twice. Honestly, that was just too many to ride and keep maintained. For the first time in my life, I have zero bikes right now. I'm still looking and I go back and forth often which tells me I haven't really found what I want. Do I want more than 1 bike? Not at this time. It's not a money thing or an age thing. Sometimes less is more.

But main reason one is up when the other is down for maintenance.
That's how I justify it.

If one is down or stuck in the shop, can always ride the other one so you don't have to miss the ride.

Or if a buddy comes to town, you have a buddy bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. Great comments. Nothing logical about owning or riding bikes other that it is fun and addictive and yeah very ingrained.

I may sniff around for a lightly used Kawa Ninja 250-400? Wonder if they are out there.

Cooling off from poodle walk so I can gear up for a Guzzi ride.

A Ninja at heart...

Your problem is that you're trying to make sense of motorcycle ownership. It is inherently illogical. So is most of our riding. We get up early in the morning, ride 200 miles to a BBQ joint, eat, then turn around and ride 200 miles back home... when there are 3 perfectly good BBQ joints 5 miles from home. Try explaining that to a non-rider.

Nobody needs a motorcycle, much less 2... or 3. It's not about needs; it's about wants.
Try explaining the $100 hamburger to non pilots. That's when the vehicle is an airplane and you drive past 5 burger joints on the way to the airport!

As for wants, I'm still odd. I really only want one. One can't do it all, so I might eventually have to compromise and have 2. Since my Africa Twin covers touring, sport riding (to the extent I care to do it), unpaved roads cruising, and commuting I figure I need a dirt bike, probably plated for connecting trails or really difficult DS rides. It's just not in the budget.

What I really want is to skip the second bike, get an airplane, and ride past 5 burger joints on my bike while headed to the airport!

"The One". Elusive concept is it not?
I think maybe its the on going search that I enjoy so much. So "elusive concept", yes, so far anyway...

As I approach 70 years, light weight and low gravity center are desirable. Given that, I love torque and power.
Me too. And fortunately I have one in the stable now, that each time I ride it I'm reminded of the exhilaration that started my addiction on that very first ride back in 67.

My time machine.
62753011163__C932D4E0-080E-4303-B983-94C8A384E354.jpg

Medicore won’t cut it , Ducati 904 powered Cagiva Gran Canyon one of the best bikes I’ve ever owned , surprisingly good at more than one riding style . KTM 950 , best mile eater I’ve ever owned . 450 RR Beta , best dirt bike I’ve ever owned . Although that new Sherco 450 at the shop up the road ain’t too shabby . At my age I really don’t need to be buying bikes but there’s a really good chance a new to me is going to end up in the back of my truck saturday morning .

You only have two bikes? It's time to step-up your game, son.

Attachments

• RookieNumbers.jpg
    RookieNumbers.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 89
That's how I justify it.

If one is down or stuck in the shop, can always ride the other one so you don't have to miss the ride.

Or if a buddy comes to town, you have a buddy bike.
I dont know how you keep up with whats in the garage today. I bought my first bike with my money in 1973 at 13 when i sold my shwin stingray bike to buy an old bsa bantum. Iv never been without at least one bike and o swear in your five years of riding you have gone through more bikes. Lol.
Im at the point i cant see how less than three works. One for two up highway. One for adv and one for dual sport. If i find the right deal one honda blackbird which iv always lusted over.

My insurance went up to 114 a year for 4 bikes this year , crap keeps going up every year . Most company’s a multiple bike policy is cheaper than a single bike .

I think maybe its the on going search that I enjoy so much. So "elusive concept", yes, so far anyway...

Me too. And fortunately I have one in the stable now, that each time I ride it I'm reminded of the exhilaration that started my addiction on that very first ride back in 67.

My time machine.
View attachment 295361
Is this the 790? Which one? I got real interested in the little KTM Duke 390 but trying to mount: I am too short.

Most company’s a multiple bike policy is cheaper than a single bike .

That’s what my agent told me.
If I were to drop even 1 of the 5 bikes now on my policy
my yearly dollar premium due would increase.
As it stands now, I pay less for 5 then I did when I had 3.

From my current count of 3 I'm attempting to get down to two. The Shiver is on the market, the plan being to replace it with a Kawasaki W800 Cafe. And I'm considering selling my K75RT, which will have me BMW-less for the first time in years. That'll leave me with the V-Strom and the W.

Part of the reason is Euro bikes involve more parts ordering (I'm 100 miles from Dallas) than Japanese makes and any service I can't/don't wanna do involve trailering. So far my wife hasn't argued with my culling the herd :brainsnap :lol2:

That’s what my agent told me.
If I were to drop even 1 of the 5 bikes now on my policy
my yearly dollar premium due would increase.
As it stands now, I pay less for 5 then I did when I had 3.
A lot depends on what bikes are on the policy. If I take the KLX250 off my policy, the premium would go up. They must figure that with the 250cc gone, I would end up riding my other bikes more, which are more expensive to insure.

Just for giggles, I checked what the premium would be, if I delete the other bikes. Sure enough, each would cause a decrease if removed.

I agree. When I have had added a third or 4th bike sometimes my overall premiums have gone down. It cost more to go down to 1 to 2 bikes on insurance sometimes.

I have had 4 bikes before and it’s just too many with my limited time to ride. 2-3 is a good number For me. I have a sport touring and a lightweight adventure bike now plus a scooter to take my daughter around the neighborhood but if I went down to one again it would probably be another boxer GS. I would not mind adding a lightweight middleweight street bike.

I have a couple old titles for sale if somebody wants to lower their insurance premium , don’t even have bikes to go with them so all you do is save money without the expense or filled up space

my 450 Beta is 18 bucks a year

Answer just smacked me: when one bike is in the shop, there is another bike to ride. MV goes in next Saturday for routine, but necessary maintenance ...Guzzi is running perfect.

I have a 1998 Honda Valkyrie and just recently bought a 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250s .Really like having 2 bikes .Mine are about as different as you can get so that makes it fun. Also the honda is pass due on some maintenance so I can take my time on that and still have one to ride. If i had room I'd have a third.

Back