• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Why Waste Time on V Strom 1K Valves?

Dang, Doug. After 45k on mine I still haven't adjusted the valves. I may have to head west and knock this out!

Come on Russ, plenty of room if you need to stay while we work. Thanks for your service by the way as well.

So I got my Yosh Box in yesterday. I hooked her up this morning and set my low range to +1.5% on both cylinders and set the the acceleration in the low range to +5%. Seems to have smoothed her all up. I am going to try to ride it this afternoon and see if the fix is good. Then I can cancel the $958.00 ECM I ordered. That will make me pretty happy.

Here is a pic of the Yosh Box and the Healtech OBD-SO1 tool hooked up to the strom.

This is how she looked warmed up and "un-flashed". Green and blue are injecto pulses and pink is ignition advance. Just lumpy.

She smoothed nicely, the advance was bumpy but it is only moving 1 degree. The injector pulses are WAY more stable. It also revs quick and recovers very fast and doesn't dip any more. Much improved. Need to get out and ride to see if it is truly better. Would love to be done with it.

Ahh so you do have some feedback of your tuning changes via the laptop. Nice! Thanks for sharing. I bet that it is cured. The manufacturers are under such strict guidelines there are lots of bikes out there that suffer from a lean condition at idle and lower rpm ranges.

I can see the main tool in the background on the rear rack of the other Strom...That will fix it! :lol2:

Edit: Great now you have me over on HealTech website

Last edited:
The 650s dont need any retuning...they run great as delivered

And you don't need to check valve clearances either. Isn't this the mindset that got me on this mission in the first place. Also sold a lot of fork braces as well.

Yep should work exactly the same. For sure on 04-07 Wee. The FI System is similar I believe.
On my way! Eventually.

Had a 7-10k rpm surge a few weeks back, but It went away. need to check fuel filter and pump eventually. And valves.

And get an exhaust. It's too darn quiet

And you don't need to check valve clearances either. Isn't this the mindset that got me on this mission in the first place. Also sold a lot of fork braces as well.
Doug...youre endowed with special skills & dont hafta pay a dealer price to check stuff. Im justa poor old hippie gettn by. But ..I can tell when the bike's not runnin right. That's when I spend my money.....& on the Stroms...its been right for me....& no damage to the engine either. My ex dealer mechanic had years of experience with the TLSVStrom series & told me things looked great at the 50K valve check...just swappin shims.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

I found out a while ago that checking valve clearances isn't so complicated or difficult. If you find them out of spec, it's another level of mechanical skill to correct it. Thus, I've always done my own checks and then if need be and I can't do it, I take it somewhere for the adjustment. Works out better than just waiting on them to get bad without checking. Also, on some bikes, like my FJR, you need to drain coolant to check the valves. This allows for multiple maintenance items to be completed at once.

V bikes can be a tad more complicated sometimes though.

My ex dealer mechanic had years of experience with the TLSVStrom series & told me things looked great at the 50K valve check...just swappin shims.

Rod if the guy swapped shims your valves needed adjusting. Little different than never check them.

V Strom runs flawlessly now. Pulls from 1500 or so to 5000 RPM with nary a burble. Saved about $700.00 with that.

Back