• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wildlife color comments please

Reaction score
Ok, no black and white this time around, it's color and wildlife as I try to expand my horizons.

My riding buddy stopped to use an ATM machine along the malecon in Catemaco. I looked up and noticed the tree and the birds. This guy landed and I got a few shots.

Which crop do you like best?

Comments on composition? I was trying to "frame" the bird with the branches.

Anything else????

I don't know anything about shooting wildlife, especially birds other than they move quick and you have to almost anticipate their actions.

I also know less about color so any comments there would help.

First, cropped for 8 X 10

8X10OneBirdinCatemacocloseupcolorOK_zps1aab6f23.jpg

Second, also for 8 X 10 but wider

8X10OneBirdinCatemacocolorOK_zps203678b0.jpg

Third, cropped for 12 X 18 and a little wider

OnebirdinCatemaco12X18colorOK_zps31f00735.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to help.

I like the third one - looks less like a portrait and more like something you just happened to see.

Thanks, it did print fairly well in version #3 cropped for 12 X 18.
Does anyone know what speices of bird that is?
I am guessing it is a "Garza" a type of white heron but it has a black beak and longer feathers on the neck (maybe indicative of it's gender?).
Any ideas?

FWIW, and from a strictly compositional standpoint, the subject of Photo One is the bird. The subject of Photo Two and Photo Three is the tree. Neither is incorrect, it just depends on what you are trying to ultimately say via the pic.

Hey AndyC, thanks, any idea of the kind of bird it is?

Thanks, TWTim. What I was trying to do was use the parts of the tree to do a kind of natural "bookending" or framing/cupping/cradling (I think you know what I mean) of the bird. I was glad I noticed the effect of the tree and was trying to put it to good use in the pic. Really, the bird is so dominant I probably didn't need it but I figured it would be a good exercise to try.

Looks like an egret of some kind. I think snowy egret

Yep, I remember in Florida they called them that. This one seemed like an egret on steroids, a bigger version.
Maybe they eat better?!

Back