• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Willow City Loop

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Is it a legal road to drive on? Big discussion on a thread on Facebook, no one seems to have a legal answer. I've never been but want to. They say this sign is on each end.

I would think that means the road is public but the land on each side is private. My parents have a ranch and there is a road similar to this that leads to their front gate.

Willow City Loop is a public road and is legal to ride. They just don't want you to be stopping and going on private property.

Do not cross a fence to take pictures of Bluebonnets.

This past weekend while at Strom A Thon... My ride on Friday took in Willow Loop....
& man...was it crowded....the cameras were a clickin....& the cars were parked....everywhere....on 1 lane water crossings....or just past them...
on both sides of the narrow road....
or they were crawlin along tortoise like...lookin for that perfect spot.
Looked like bees ...all hoverin over the flours with cameras

Meanwhile....down the road a bit on Althus Davis Rd....flours all over too..& no people

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

This past weekend while at Strom A Thon... My ride on Friday took in Willow Loop....
& man...was it crowded....the cameras were a clickin....& the cars were parked....everywhere....on 1 lane water crossings....or just past them...
on both sides of the narrow road....
or they were crawlin along tortoise like...lookin for that perfect spot.
Looked like bees ...all hoverin over the flours with cameras

Meanwhile....down the road a bit on Althus Davis Rd....flours all over too..& no people

Willow City Loop is gettin to be very well known now. I hope Althaus Davis Rd (& connecting County Rd) remains a secret at least a little longer. I try to ride them at least once a year.

It's been a while since I last rode it, but this is also one of my favorites when I head out that way.

I kno ya'll will be dismayed.....but Althaus Davis is down to 1.5 mi of gravel. New pavement on northern end at FM3347 & where pavement usta end on southern portion

Aw dang... I guess it has been too long since my last run through there!! It was almost all gravel the last time I came through.

Yep, but if that is the 1.5 miles I think it is, what a washboard ! My wing just loves it.

If I was a land owner there I’m afraid I’d be setting out there with a shotgun during flower season , cars parked 50 feet off the road and people setting all over having their picknic in the flowers and leave the garbage behind when they were done . I beleave in respecting people’s property but apparently that’s not the case if you let flowers grow on it .

Yep it's legal to ride ( I have a small ranch 5 miles from there) but as mentioned above do not pull over and tramp around on people's property - it's not that the landowners are *******s but with so much traffic it just needs to be this way especially this time of year due to the wildflowers

It is public road but I seem to recall it is considered like a road through open range country as there is no easement allowance off the pavement so anytime you get off the pavement you are trespassing on someones land

Combine that with the great views, and all the people who feel their enjoyment overrides inconveniencing anyone else and it becomes a bumper to bumper mess out there on weekends

Seems to me if a landowner doesn't want people driving next to their land on public tax payer maintained roads they should own property off a private road. It is getting crowded on the road that runs beside my property and I really don't care for it and If a law is broken I will call the law. Taking the law in my own hands can lead to no good and possible loss of my land. The world is crowded and so is Texas :). Maybe shut down the tourism in Fredericksburg and Llano and pass the tax loss onto the property owners in the county, you can't have both. Vote to get county spray roadside with Round-Up each spring would lesson traffic, see how that goes over :D

Last edited:
Roger and I rode around the "Willow City Loop" when we were out there in December. I think your picture is from the southern end of the loop. Looks like the ride report I did from that trip got nuked during the web site transition.

It will mostly solve itself once the flowerers are gone, till next year. I find it hard to believe that wildflower viewers are littering much. The Fredericksburg area always seems real clean when we go to visit and spend $$, Enchanted Rock and all the roads near it are beautiful and will always draw more and more people.

The camera bees we saw hoverin over the flours on Willow City Lp were stayin alongside the road mostly....however ..there were those few venturing more propertyward than they should be...which created the need for the signs years ago.

I didn't nuke any ride reports ;-)

Sorry Scott, didn't mean to imply that you had nuked it. :oops: But, I thought you had mentioned that a few did not make the transition? I assumed that this one, may have been one of them, since I posted it around that time. Really, no big deal.

Sorry Scott, didn't mean to imply that you had nuked it. :oops: But, I thought you had mentioned that a few did not make the transition? I assumed that this one, may have been one of them, since I posted it around that time. Really, no big deal.

I did lose some, but that is why I shut down the site and restored from a backup, to get those reports back. Other than that, I left the reports alone.

My ride on Friday took in Willow Loop.... & man...was it crowded....the cameras were a clickin....& the cars were parked....everywhere....on 1 lane water crossings....or just past them... on both sides of the narrow road.... or they were crawlin along tortoise like...lookin for that perfect spot. Looked like bees ...all hoverin over the flours with cameras

Which is why I am so fortunate to have most Mondays be my Saturday. Totally out of sync with the rest of the planet, but do I care?
I love going out thru Sisterdale and Luckenbach, and back down Old SA Road, or running the 3 Sisters when the roads aren't choked with cagers and squids.
Haven't been to the loop in a long time, and way overdue to hang out atop Enchanted Rock.

First time out on the loop, I felt real sheepish after a couple miles. I was on the Ironhead Sportster, and it is NOT a quiet machine.
Shoot, I may put the stock slip-on's back on the bagger when I go out again, just out of respect.

I assume the flowers have all passed their peak bloom by now?

Back