• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

winch on stud wall?

90 degree braces up to the point where the winch is attached on the wall studs against the pulling force for bracing?

Research that hf winch. I was set on getting one for a fencing project until i started reading reviews. Buy cheap...buy twice.

Research that hf winch. I was set on getting one for a fencing project until i started reading reviews. Buy cheap...buy twice.

Not a single winch has an overall rating of less than 4.25 stars.

Screenshot 2021-07-23 11.09.17 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-07-23 11.08.53 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-07-23 11.08.08 AM.png

I always go looking for the negative, reviews, LOL.
1627064031052.png

Do you have any specific references? I can't find any really negative reviews. I mean, something like this, they sell so many of them that invariably there's going to be a dud now and then. And I am planning on only ever pulling a max of a third of its rating.

That said, there are some better deals for other off-brand winches on Amazon, and I might consider one of those instead, just to get a synthetic rope. Of course, they have the same quality of reviews... lots of 5 star reviews, but no real qualified review anywhere.

I have a 120V HF hoist mounted to an I beam in my garage. Think it's the 1500# one. Works great for me. Probably used it for up to about 1000# so far. Did just fine.

As far as your plan to mount. I'd mount the winch plate to the bottom of the stud wall and the top of the concrete and with a big enough mounting plate to spread the load over 2 or 3 feet. Attach to both and spread the load and it should be fine. Probably not needed, but I always over build stuff so I don't have to worry about it.

As far as your plan to mount. I'd mount the winch plate to the bottom of the stud wall and the top of the concrete and with a big enough mounting plate to spread the load over 2 or 3 feet. Attach to both and spread the load and it should be fine. Probably not needed, but I always over build stuff so I don't have to worry about it.

That's my plan, but the "plate" in this case is going to be a 2x6 board attached to the wall sole plate right at the bottom edge where it is on the concrete. I ordered a surface-mount receiver that's made to bolt to the flat of a bumper, will put that on the plate with the same lags that I use to put the mounting plate, two top bolts going straight into the sole plate through my 2x6. I think this will be way more than strong enough for routine tasks with like 100-200 lb or less load.

For the one time use with the car, I'll use a floor anchor with my receiver mounted winch.

Anyway, I went searching on Amazon and found an X-Bull 3000 lb winch with synthetic rope for the same price as the HF 2500 lb wire rope winch. X-Bull get overall better reviews. So I am going to give it a shot.

I'll make pictures. But probably won't bother with a video of moving the car. I'll have my hands full just steering and operating the winch.

I have a 3500 ATV winch from harbor freight and it has been good.

However you mount it, I would anchor bolt a piece of angle iron into the concrete for it to pull against. Wall studs are shot in with 16b nails to the sole plate which on enterior walls are most likely hilti nailed to the floor, neither will withstand much lateral load. But that’s just me.

gearing up for a test drive
1627646671864.png

Wall plate ready for receiver, for future use.
1627646809455.png

with receiver mounted, need a couple more short lags
1627646893626.png

the roller to save my winch rope
1627646960828.png

quick check with empty utility cart, not enough weight to hold the rope on the roller
1627647089583.png

That was very slow. Also the 46 ft winch line is not long enough to reach the street, but I can just use a length of normal rope or nylon webbing straps to haul up the normal stuff I'll need this for. Recovery strap will work fine for the car.

Today I'll wrap the recovery strap around the car's torsion beam in the rear and pull it up. There are no tie down hooks on the Fiat.

You guys should have seen them get a 6' grand piano into the house!

And I tell you what, you drop a 10mm socket on that drive? Carl Lewis wouldn't be able to catch it before it winds up all the way down the street and in the storm drain.

The other day I parked the lawn mower on the "flat" at the top of the drive. You might be aware, in order for it to drain, the "flat" is not exactly flat, it slopes a tiny bit. Enough that the lawn mower decided to take a very fast trip down the drive, across the street, and nearly caught air trying to jump the curb on the other side of the street.

While I love living on the hill, and I love our tall, two-story house, my wife has put her foot down that she won't tolerate us buying another house with this much elevation difference from the house to the street.

Be nice to see a reverse pict towards the wall showing your line of action. My feeling as a retire structural engineer is the two bolts holding the hitch are the only ones actually holding the load. The rest are holding the board up. If those two give out the hitch leaves, possibly with vigor.

Be nice to see a reverse pict towards the wall showing your line of action. My feeling as a retire structural engineer is the two bolts holding the hitch are the only ones actually holding the load. The rest are holding the board up. If those two give out the hitch leaves, possibly with vigor.

Well, bear in mind, since I assume you didn't read the rest of this thread, the wall plate mount for the winch is only ever going to be used to pull small loads up the driveway, probably 99% of the time my 350 lb utility trailer unladen. That's like a max 100 lb pull-out load on the wall plate.

And FWIW I will fix the lower bolts of the hitch plate prior to using it. Either with a pair of 2" lag screws, or I might put a pair of 3/8" drop-in anchors into the slab there in that spot. I'll deal with that after I finish this car job.

I'm pulling the car up using the hitch anchored to the floor with a 3/8" bolt into a drop in anchor. Then once this one-time job is done, I'll put the winch into the wall-mounted receiver for general purpose use in the future.

Is that S-hook on the end of the chain the setup you're using for the Fiat pull?
Looks a bit light in the photos but maybe it's spec'ed high enough.

If you can spare the length and if it fits, consider inserting a hitch pin in the drawbar with the chain looped around it and the S-hook stuck through a chain link as one would securing a trailer safety chain.
That could also help the winch stay in-line with the pull.

Back