• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

winter project/mods list

gunzip

Reaction score
With winter approaching and the inevitable slowdown in ride time ; thoughts turn to ..........

So I thought I would start a thread for us to post our to-do plans ; motivate us to actually get-em done and get some tips and new ideas

1. Install a Powerlet plug on the rear set, wiring it to a fuseblock (for future expansion).
2. Change the wiring to my Stebel air horn to 12 AWG (more power!).
3. Plug my Christmas Gerbing T5 heated gloves into that Powerlet plug (see #1) and ride, baby, ride! :rider:

1. Install a Powerlet plug on the rear set, wiring it to a fuseblock (for future expansion).
2. Change the wiring to my Stebel air horn to 12 AWG (more power!).
3. Plug my Christmas Gerbing T5 heated gloves into that Powerlet plug (see #1) and ride, baby, ride! :rider:

Sounds like you might want to visit this guy

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

Not exactly dirt cheap but seems well done , clean and has a good rep. I'll probably be a customer before it's all said and done

Been there, am doing that. the Powerlet, wiring harness, and fuseblock are all coming from Eastern Beaver. Jim does exceptional work with top-quality materials.

Suspension big time. Lower and upper golf valves with fresh bushings.
A rear shock from somebody, not determine yet.

1. convert running lights to turn signals

2. stage 1 mods , install the tfi box and k+n I already purchased

3. need more light , thinking of going with 70watt low beams with 14g wire thru a relay and maybe 55w HID for high beams [ Most of my riding is on high traffic 2 lanes and I rarely get to use high anyway] I'm having a little trouble finding higher wattage h7's that aren't some kinda funky blue color ,.i don't want any LEO attention

4. My soft bags are driving me insane ; I'll be making support brackets that hold them in place , even and the same angle on each side

5. paint job.. the scratches and dings have added up too quickly. I do love the candy red ,but it is a bear to match , expensive and hard to apply. My painter buddy has some free black micro metalflake left over from a vette he painted. gorgeous..Did I mention free?

6. A heavy duty luggage rack for the 'big loads' I sometimes carry. probably one that attaches on top of the little chrome everyday rack and braces down to the peg mounts

If I get half that stuff done I'll be amazed :rider:

Concerning #5, the paint job,how many miles do you have on the bike and where do you ride that would get you close to needing a paint job? I have 13,000 miles on mine and the paint is essentially perfect (except the little fairing scratch from my little crash episode).

If I would paint my tank, it would be to take out the scratches and one dent. How they got there, Hmmmmmm. Once, I knocked the tank off the top of the bike and it hit the lift and garage floor because I was too lazy to go get a piece of soft line and tie it up when doing a TB Sync. Even broke the fuel line so had to wait for a new one to come in from Bike Bandit to finish the job. Bet I had it tied up this time. l-). Scratches was when I failed to notice a few Canadian coins stuck to the underside of my magnetic tank bag and taking it on and off at gas stops for the next 3 days did that. Serious scratch in the tail section where I was not paying attention and a cresent wrench dug a piece out.
For many years I used to strip and paint all my bikes a medium/light blue but, have been lazy in the last 10 years and leave them along and ride the heck out of them and not worry about the looks are trying to make them go faster any more. Seems the older I get the faster I use to be and slower I get. I've been seeing scenery I never knew existed in the last 15 years. Sigh! 8^).

Concerning #5, the paint job,how many miles do you have on the bike and where do you ride that would get you close to needing a paint job? I have 13,000 miles on mine and the paint is essentially perfect (except the little fairing scratch from my little crash episode).

Three major hickeys in my paint , two are self inflicted . I gouged my clear coat scraping the saftey sticker off and a knee brace I have to wear due to torn mcl has scratched up the right side of tank. Worst spot; Riding 'cross town in Dallas last summer about a half shovel full of gravel flew out of a dump truck when he a bump and knocked some chunks of paint off clean down to bare metal !! Put some dents in me too but I heal [not as fast as I use to] Plus just liitle haze scratches every where , my clear coat seems very soft

3. need more light , thinking of going with 70watt low beams with 14g wire thru a relay and maybe 55w HID for high beams [ Most of my riding is on high traffic 2 lanes and I rarely get to use high anyway] I'm having a little trouble finding higher wattage h7's that aren't some kinda funky blue color ,.i don't want any LEO attention

Be careful with HID high beams, HIDs require a few seconds to warm up and operate. If you use them as high beams they won't be effective for flashing. Why not use them for the low beams (or both?) - it's a fantastic mod.

My bike is about done with mods, I need to put on new tires in the early spring - but that's about it. Maybe a power outlet or a nice air temperature gauge (just haven't seen one I like).

how did i know that was coming?
"Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
378808843.jpg

7. handlebar risers .. maybe get rid of that little kink I get in my left shoulder

8. paint spare windshield black on the inside... done , just need to install . Looks very cool!!

9 . Audiovox cruise control .. been dreaming of this for a while maybe i'll actually do it this time. Looks like a royal pain

Gunzip said:
5. paint job.. the scratches and dings have added up too quickly. I do love the candy red ,but it is a bear to match , expensive and hard to apply. My painter buddy has some free black micro metalflake left over from a vette he painted. gorgeous..Did I mention free?"

GregH said:
"Ahhh, another convert to the dark side! "

Think...." Fast as a BLUE streak" :trust: Though it wouldn't be free :-(
Shotrod

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been off work for the last 8 months due to a work related injury. It is because I didn't have to pay $250 a month for gas, that I was able to do some pretty major upgrades to my bike. I went in for training last week (signed me off as "trained" for liability reasons), and I start in a new position tomorrow (feeling a little anxiety here.....).

What I want is:
* to change out the brake lines to braided lines
* PIAA driving lamps

What I need to have done is:
* check valves
* replace plugs
* replace my tires
* replace my chain & sprockets

What I may continue to put off.... but shouldn't:
* grease swingarm, center-stand, wheel bearings
* replace racers under the "Jesus nut" with new tapered bearings.

Im gonna be putting on a Yoshi RS3 pipe over the winter.

Rite now I have;

MRA windshield
Suzuki Gel seat
PIAA Fork mounted driving lights
PIAA H7 ultrawhite headlights
Givi side and top cases
GIPRO with TRE
Garmin 550
Heated Grips
K&N air filter
TFI Box
Dale's stage 1

For me it's more like a early spring list (suppose to get around MINUS 20 Fahrenheit the next few days). I've got sled projects pending for now. Brap,brap. I'm sure missing the riding already. Only 4 more months to go... winter is just TOO long around here!! :shrug:

Anyways, pending projects are a power outlet, HID kit, braided lines, fork brace, maybe front suspension.

Mtn Trax
Can U believe we had snow down here in South Louisiana Friday night? Near an inch on my truck. ;-) But, most all melted away by noon cept in the shade. ;-(. That was enough Winter, ready for Spring now. LOL!

You won't find any pity here! I saw that south TX and LA were expecting snow and it gave me a warm feeling to see our southern neighbors get a taste of some cold. LOL! Actually the forecast here has changed to only -12 lows. I do salute you for the late season Canada trip though! :clap:

[update: weatherman lied again, now back to -16 tonight then low of -23 tomorrow night...Sigh]

Last edited:
You won't find any pity here! I saw that south TX and LA were expecting snow and it gave me a warm feeling to see our southern neighbors get a taste of some cold. LOL! Actually the forecast here has changed to only -12 lows. I do salute you for the late season Canada trip though! :clap:

:lol2::lol2::lol2:That was a brain cramp on that late , too late , trip. But, I've done some really out of time stuff. Caught in a Blizzard in Wyoming in '66 on my Triumph TR6 sucked big time. All the way to > Caught in a late snow storm in '06 coming back from Wyoming and could not get over the passes so had to stay in the Valley till New Mexico before I could turn left and get over the mountains. Amazing what I get myself into. :lol2::lol2: Ya'll do know that South Louisiana Cajuns start malfunctioning at 60 degrees and have been know to seize up at 40. Don't cha? :rider::trust::rider:

I too am in winter denial , supposed to be in low teens tonight with 30 mph winds .. yuck :giveup:

I was talking to my niece in Ardmore yesterday and she said BAD things to me when I told her it was 70°F and muggy with occasional rain. :lol2:
We for sure need some cool DRY air down here as it's like a bog.

Back