• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Woodbutcher / Picture a day 2016

12/11/2016 - Heat Wave! Well, not really, but after a few days of cold it got into the 60's and some dandelions bloomed. Which means a chance for butterflies. I'm also making an effort to identify the butterflies I shoot now too. This is a Clouded Sulphur. For a close in view, click on the image, then on the icon in the lower right corner. Select Original size for a really big look at it.

i-cHgcBGh-XL.jpg

Awesome detail in the wings ! ! !

12/12/2016 - Sun came out today and my loquat trees have blossoms. Very sweet smelling too. The bees were out in force. In less than 10 minutes I had managed to shoot over 380 pictures. Came inside and in two passes, I managed to cull out all but 75. I got that down further as I started to edit. I'm not advocating blasting out a lot of shots, but when trying to get fast moving insects it really helps to shoot short bursts.

There is a fly in the background. I shifted over and got an excellent shot of him too. Check out my insects gallery for that shot. https://woodbutcher.smugmug.com/Insects He's in the Flying Insects section.

i-tzJjjTD-XL.jpg

12/13/2016 - Sun came out, temps went up, had errands to run after work. So while my wife ran upstairs to change clothes, I grabbed the camera and ran out to look for yesterday's bees. Found this Red Admiral butterfly sunning itself on a rock. Looks like it has had a hard life. The wings are a bit beaten up. Took 59 pictures of it as a worked my way up to it. 7 bad ones. Kept 11.

i-Z3XC8N9-XL.jpg

I am amazed at the details on the critters you have been capturing. I committed on Scott's thread and like wise here thanks for sharing.

I've got a comment. I was looking in my SmugMug butterfly gallery last night and noticed that the butterfly I posted yesterday is the same one I got a picture of on November 27th. Same exact markings and beaten up wings. I didn't think they would spend that much time in the same location. It's is a bit more tattered than it was, but definitely the same butterfly.

Today is a bake-off/cookie competition at work. I might have something different to post today, Camilo.

I am amazed at the details on the critters you have been capturing. I committed on Scott's thread and like wise here thanks for sharing.

On my macro shots, even Scott tells me they are better than what he gets with his macro lens. I take that as a huge complement. That last butterfly picture has a very small crop to it. So I kept about 3/4 of the original image. That means I got fairly close to it. That helps tremendously in getting detail. Plus I took almost 60 pictures as I crept up on it. So at each distance I got a few. That way I knew I'd have something if I scared it while trying to get close. Also, I'm using a 105mm macro lens so I'm still over a foot away at maximum magnification. A shorter macro lens means I need to get closer and that just doesn't work too well with bugs. Or lizards.

I've got a comment. I was looking in my SmugMug butterfly gallery last night and noticed that the butterfly I posted yesterday is the same one I got a picture of on November 27th. Same exact markings and beaten up wings. I didn't think they would spend that much time in the same location. It's is a bit more tattered than it was, but definitely the same butterfly.

Today is a bake-off/cookie competition at work. I might have something different to post today, Camilo.

WAIT!
If you are starting to recognize the bugs, we are in trouble!
:eek2:

12/14/2016. Bake Off holiday cookie contest at the office. Not only was I the official photographer, I was a judge. :clap: This was under fluorescent lights and hand held, so the lens was fairly open and not much depth of field. I'm pretty happy with it. Happy enough that I didn't dig out the flash at the time to try any more shots.

i-PBhVRJf-XL.jpg

Last edited:
12/15/2016 - Company Holiday party. I bowled a little then pulled out the camera and got some shots in. A few caught my eye. I had a few background surprises that I never noticed when looking through the viewfinder. Like I'd be shooting someone in the act of bowling then in the image there would be the person the next row over reacting to their own bowl. This was funny. Up and coming young guy and the CEO in the background.

i-CgMvMSR-XL.jpg

Still not much more than a candid, but I have fun shooting. Very dark bowling alley though so everything was with flash.

12/16/2016 - Not much time. Had to go pick up the new car and I was delayed at work waiting for a service tech. Tried to get a creative shot of one of the Burr Oak acorns lying in the yard.

i-2JhcLdV-XL.jpg

12/17/2016 - Probably my last puppy picture of the year. We won't see them again until the 31st and I've got something else in mind for that day. However, this is the one we are likely to choose. Has shown an interesting character, very friendly with a little independent streak. The last one worries me a bit. :-)

i-nGq2Fb4-L.jpg

Are you starting to shut down themes?
May I suggest a couple to be considered?
:)

Suggestions gladly accepted. In fact, I'm at a loss right now for today.

12/18/2016 - Something different. Last night we celebrated my dad's 80th birthday. He had family and a bunch of military buddies there. He's the one on the left in the Texas shirt. He and two West Point classmates like to sing mariachi music. And since we were at a mexican restaurant this almost seemed appropriate. They aren't good, but they have fun and entertain.

i-z6hMLRt-L.jpg

12/19/2016 - Cold outside. Glad to be home and not out running errands and other holiday things. Totally lacking in motivation to take a shot, but the end is near so up and around the house I prowled. Ended up spending 30 minutes with the camera on a tripod shooting ornaments on the Christmas tree. Finally decided this one would work. MC related too.

i-V7s3brq-L.jpg

I will take the ornament over a bug.
We're almost there . . . .

:)

Yep. I haven't pulled yesterday's images off the camera yet. I'm pretty sure the bug shot will be the winner. I was outside with my daughter showing her how I find the bugs and shoot them. That was more about doing something with her than the perfect shot. Kind of like motorcycle trips. Sometimes it isn't about the destination, it's about the journey.

12/20/2016 - Well, the bug picture I threaten with was not good. I also got a few shots of some birds with the 105mm macro so they were alright.

i-L8pb3VQ-L.jpg

Back