• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wow! My Harley is in pieces already, that didn't take long.

Your street cred went up EXPEDIENTIALLY... πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ Who sports a Hello Kitty Pack on their SM??? 😻
I stand corrected, a Monkey DILLIGAF lunch box air cleaner pales by comparision...😰 Humbled by the MAN the Myth the Legend from Nemo...

You laugh, but when that Hello Kitty bag is leaving you in the twisties, there is a little burn....
Doug is big on the burn. Like when he went to a track day with a sign on the back of his bike that said "You just got passed by an old fat man." Oooh, burn!

That yellow truck in the background of your photos sure is nice. ;)

P8030023.jpg

It certainly was a good day.

IMG_9168.jpg

Don't want to high jack thread, but I feel I must...
MY COSMETICALLY CHALLENGED SPORTSTER (insert girls bike here also not an Adventure bike) is also in pieces alreadyπŸ˜–... Riding around on Good Friday after getting my second covid shot minding my own business enjoying the day listening to the obnoxiously loud exhaust then BAM it happened... Managed to get to the side of the road to see what happened, then the very dim light came on, your tools are in that unreliable Jap Bike... Don't stress Cell Phone/Platinum Visa card, chose not to purchase AAA warm fussy feeling going away...πŸ™„
@OldTLSDoug once said they're dirt simple motorsickles, so I Carried On evaluated the problem removed my shoe lace secured the jiffy stand(broken/missing spring)... Road the rest of the way home WITHOUT A SHOE LACE...πŸ˜ͺ Yet another instance of how unrealible HD's are... Another great road trip/road side redneck repair in the books...😎
Carry On

Hey, you fixed it, carry an extra shoe lace in your pocket.
10/4
People expect that you look like a homeless dirt bag, bad thing I lost my Murder Hornet that was a thing and now it's not...
It was wedged pretty good in the laces...To make sure this never happens again,
#1 Buy an IRS rear suspension trike kit,outboard Wilwood Brakes ,7 degree trees, reverse kit and mod the crap out of my 800.00 Sportster...
#2 Buy a new jiffy stand spring...
πŸ€”
#3 Buy a cheaper solid rear axle kit same-same Motor Co. Trikes...
Carry On
20200809_112208.jpg

Don't want to high jack thread, but I feel I must..

@OldTLSDoug once said they're dirt simple motorsickles, so I Carried On evaluated the problem removed my shoe lace secured the jiffy stand(broken/missing spring)... Road the rest of the way home WITHOUT A SHOE LACE...πŸ˜ͺ Yet another instance of how unrealible HD's are... Another great road trip/road side redneck repair in the books...😎
Carry On

Glad you were able to β€œredneck fix it”
some of us unfortunately do not have Doug’s mechanical skills and artistry.
when I finally sold my HD/Buell it had 6000 miles and three blown engines necessitating three engine overhauls.
I think/know I couldn’t fix those on the side of the road.

Glad you were able to β€œredneck fix it”
some of us unfortunately do not have Doug’s mechanical skills and artistry.
when I finally sold my HD/Buell it had 6000 miles and three blown engines necessitating three engine overhauls.
I think/know I couldn’t fix those on the side of the road.
Been down that rabbit hole myself... Tried to start the season with a fresh motor on my S1 Turbo drag bike. Blew it up on the second dyno pull... Put another fresh broken in motor went to Seally 1/8 mile blew it at 60ft lights... Back to original motor, rebuilt it again made the full season...
Certainly not the same as a shoe string side of the road repair, but still adapting and overcoming the small obstacles in search of the mechanical skills of my Hero at PPSS...😹😹😹😹

Been down that rabbit hole myself... Tried to start the season with a fresh motor on my S1 Turbo drag bike. Blew it up on the second dyno pull... Put another fresh broken in motor went to Seally 1/8 mile blew it at 60ft lights... Back to original motor, rebuilt it again made the full season...
Certainly not the same as a shoe string side of the road repair, but still adapting and overcoming the small obstacles in search of the mechanical skills of my Hero at PPSS...😹😹😹😹
Pete you are way ahead of me. I haven't ever pulled down a Harley motor, but I probably could if I bought more tools.

Pete you are way ahead of me. I haven't ever pulled down a Harley motor, but I probably could if I bought more tools.

I did the top end on the Ironhead twice, it was not real challenging. Twice because I didn't realize the stock timing module was whacked. :doh:
I let Tommy at Hog Haus do the bottom end years ago, as I had no experience. Still have the box full of parts he replaced including the crank pin.
The bagger I had bored to 95in back when I had money, but never really worked on it much. Stator and primary chain long ago.

To be totally honest Doug, it's certainly not rocket science...
Compression/Fuel/Ignition...
Basic hand tools Simple shade tree trial&error... Then back in the day came new tech, Junior Pro engine building... Build your motor on the (dial up) computer with pretty close to real world performance numbers... Anybody can Drag Race Harleys all it takes is quick reaction times&deep pockets... Over the last 21 years old age took care of the reaction times,shrunk the pockets and turned me into the frail old man I am today🀨...

Not sure what series you have, but my twin cam was pretty easy once I figure out my β€˜62 Massey 35 had tighter engine tolerances

8D4DAEF8-2FD5-45BE-8E42-8B8AC1593EAA.jpeg

Sorry Doug,
I reread my last BS post... Honestly did not mean it the way it read(sounded)... I'll keep it zipped🀐...
Carry On Sir
I didn't read anything untoward in your post. Don't worry about it.

Back to the Harley Davidson aspect of the post. I have the short linkage installed now and rode the bike. Without the 3" extensions on the forward controls it feels much more controllable. Before, my feet were just out there and it was all groin muscle to hold them there. Now I can push down properly and feel much more in control. The ape hangers still have me leaned back too far and are well above shoulder height, so they will be replaced soon. Of course, I will have to rewire the thing since the current set has Deutsch 12-pin connectors for all the electrics off of the bars.

I am trying to decide on a set of bars and grips. Probably use Avon grips (made in TX) and a pair of Buckhorn style bars. But I am open to suggestions. Not sure if I will hide the wires or not, we shall see as to level of difficulty. The previous owner has volunteered a Deutsch Connector tool to crimp the pins on the wires so the cost should be fairly low.

When all is said and done, I think the seat may need some work as well. I am pretty sure I can get that done locally, but we shall see. The problem with the seat is that it is custom to fit the aluminum tank, so a stock seat won't fit without modification. That is also a possibility, just haven't looked into getting a stocker and modifying it.

Also, when I get in from a ride and the bike idles, the oil pressure indicator on my Dakota Digital dash blinks. I am going to have to get a gauge and possibly a new sending unit to see if I have an issue or the sending unit is failing. My bet is the sending unit, but we shall see.

Lots of care has been taken of this scooter, I have been metal polishing and it is quite calming and satisfying to polish chrome. I have no other chrome, so this scooter has plenty for me.

QFVQ9288.JPG

I also removed the rear rack so I can see the pretty paint better. Lots of chrome polishing still left as you can see around the turn signals.

IMG_5618.JPG

IMG_5621.JPG

IMG_5616.JPG

And of course I had some helpers on Friday. Amazing how they all love the Harley right off. They aren't really fond of the sound, but they love the bike...go figure.

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

Regarding the bar wiring. I read, a trick is to use the 'chinese finger pull' material) it's a type of plastic tube that when pulled on cinches down on the wires inside it. This material protects the wires and provides a way to pull the wires though. Just a thought....

The ape hangers still have me leaned back too far and are well above shoulder height, so they will be replaced soon...

I am trying to decide on a set of bars and grips. Probably use Avon grips (made in TX) and a pair of Buckhorn style bars.
Is there some type of bar riser on it right now? Kind of hard to tell if there is or not.

Is there some type of bar riser on it right now? Kind of hard to tell if there is or not.

Just the stock one, but it is 3 1/2 -4 in or so. There are lower ones, but I am over the apehanger look. I think I will either go to original, or more of a flatter wide or superglide kind of thing. I would like a little forward lean. I like the idea of the chinese pull stuff, but I was going to use tape and fishing line or such.

Just the stock one, but it is 3 1/2 -4 in or so. There are lower ones, but I am over the apehanger look. I think I will either go to original, or more of a flatter wide or superglide kind of thing. I would like a little forward lean. I like the idea of the chinese pull stuff, but I was going to use tape and fishing line or such.
OK, was not sure if it was something you could pull off easily till you get the bars themselves figured out.

Back