• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wow! My Harley is in pieces already, that didn't take long.

One of the risers has a stripped thread and I already bought a set of stockers to replace both. I figure 27 yrs of vibrating the others may not be long for this world. Plus extra stress from years of ape hangers too.

One of the risers has a stripped thread and I already bought a set of stockers to replace both. I figure 27 yrs of vibrating the others may not be long for this world. Plus extra stress from years of ape hangers too.
👍
Down here in the RGV ,,, well Don't be this GUY... 20161125_145629.jpg
Carry On

I am trying to decide on a set of bars and grips.

Just my opinion, but I see it has HD tires on it. I believe they are Dunlops. When I got my old Sporty it had Dunlops and after a bit I put new Metzler 880's on it and a lot of ill habits went away. (the bike's, not mine) The Road Glide had the HD tires on it and I soon changed them to the 880's also. Dramatic improvement in ride and handling as it seems the HD/Dunlops are hard as a rock. I think they're Metz 888's now.

I second getting off Dunlop’s when you change tires. I found a serious weather crack in the sidewall of mine and it was less than 3yrs old by date code. Have not run Metz, but like the Pirelli Night Dragon that are on the Road King and also the Avon Cobra Chromes on the Road Glide

Tires feel fine so far, but I have mounted the Harley Dunlops and the ME 880's and both suck to mount, but are quite doable on my tire machine. These have a lot of life in them and aren't doing anything odd. The most drastic thing I noticed is how hard I brake to stop it. I think it is just the weight, but I am getting used to it. Today I put the new risers on and it really firmed up the front. Luckily Mitch came by and helped me out. But my second COVID shot (CCP VIrus) is kicking my butt tonight, hopefully it is short lived, but you never know.

Have not run Metz, but like the Pirelli Night Dragon that are on the Road King and also the Avon Cobra Chromes on the Road Glide

Yeah, I was lusting for Michelin's but never had the budget.
Plus back in the moto-x days, we always lusted for Metzlers when we only really needed much cheaper Cheng Shin's.
Well, that and actual talent.

So Mitch was by yesterday and we disassembled the Springer to replace the bar risers. I figured out that we could slide them to one side and not have to hold it while we changed the riser. Mitch liked the idea so we did it. Made for a nice photo op.

IMG_5663.JPG

IMG_5666.JPG

So we noticed the little quick disconnects on the tank crossover line were slowly self destructing and we thought they would make it, but alas, they leaked overnight. So this morning I got to drain Mr. Fuel tank and pump out the last of the gas, got a little leakage as I pulled the crossover and got her out. Now I need to decide how to fix it. The easiest way would be to just replace the connectors and go from there. I want to simplify things and put in to 90 degree NPT to 1/4 in hose barb fittings and install a hose with a single fitting to disconnect with valves on both sides, should be easier.

Here is what we have now. Note there is some tank paint damage due to the failure of the petcock before I bought the bike. I am open to ideas as well.

FDRL5253.JPG

Mitch and I also redid the rubber insulator the previous owner made for the tunnel and we actually tied it down so it won't travel anymore when riding. I also removed and loctited each of the bolts for the risers and bars that we installed. The board was to hold up the rear of the tank to aid draining.

FIYO4512.JPG

I thought we agreed that the offset bar idea was a permanent solution.

And I've always heard that a good, solid 2x4 was part of the HD tool kit.
But a 2x2 should work, in a pinch.

So we noticed the little quick disconnects on the tank crossover line were slowly self destructing and we thought they would make it, but alas, they leaked overnight. So this morning I got to drain Mr. Fuel tank and pump out the last of the gas, got a little leakage as I pulled the crossover and got her out. Now I need to decide how to fix it. The easiest way would be to just replace the connectors and go from there. I want to simplify things and put in to 90 degree NPT to 1/4 in hose barb fittings and install a hose with a single fitting to disconnect with valves on both sides, should be easier.

Here is what we have now. Note there is some tank paint damage due to the failure of the petcock before I bought the bike. I am open to ideas as well.
Not sure what you are looking for, but I think this may help
Fuel Quick connect
90° MNPT x Hose Barb

So...we are going to let all these things leaking on a Harley just go without any comments or jokes?

I've never seen anyone who is such a motorcycle savant freak at a little gas spillage.

It was dripping on the CHROME...
It was all over once he started polishing the CHROME.

Everyone needs to make a pilgrimage to PPSS for the experience.
We HAD to disassemble the shifter and linkage in order to replace a perfectly good flanged lock nut with a plain lock nut ... which was chromed.

👀👀 Must have been a slow day at PPSS when I visited... Everything seemed OK...
I've never seen anyone who is such a motorcycle savant freak at a little gas spillage.
Of course I drove all night to get there and may have overlooked, well SOMETHING... To be fair there wasn't any gas spillage... So I'm giving PPSS a solid 😻😻😻😻 Rating...
If I would have been able to sit in the Rocker, well🤔...
Carry On

To be fair Mitch, it was draining steadily out of two 1/4 in holes and got all over your hoodie. Did ugly up some of the chrome, I am working on that.

The sickness begins.
Jes Jes it does... The force is strong in this one...
Sounds a little like back in the DAY... Flashback to the Buddhist Monks(SouthEast Asia)... 😱
Gas&clothing what could possibly go wrong??? Sweet Jesus save the rocking chairs...
Carry On

The sickness begins.

The OCD had been there a while. I had dropped the chrome nut near the house, found it and replaced the brushed SS flange nut with the proper nut that came with the linkage. No big deal, Mitch is the same way, he just hides it better. Reference my old Gixxer race bodywork thread....

So, this morning, I looked at the links FE_REX provided and they were awesome. I looked also at J&P Cycles and they sell a single disconnect hose for $89.00 that connects to barbed fittings. The stock Harley crossover hoses are 5/16, mine is 1/4 in cause I have a one off custom tank. Anyway, he got me thinking so I went to US Plastics.com and found replacement fittings, with 90° barb shutoff connection for the hose and new shutoff connections for the tank with 1/4 NPT connection for the tank. These cost less than the new hose and proper barb fittings will be $20.00 a piece. So it looks like FE_REX helped me out, thanks man (yes I selected a gender pronoun on my own, bold I know, but it is how I roll).

So the plan is to buy length of flexible 1/4" fuel line and attach it with Oeticker clamps and I will be good to go for about $80.00. Not a bad deal for a Harley fix.

61677p.jpg

61713-61714p.jpg

So, a further update. The previous owner, Ed, called me and gave me the name of the fella that painted her back in 2003. Apparently, he is a big deal in custom bike painting land. Name of Gary Queen. I called him and sent him pics of the damage. He said, "I can patch it for $50.00 or fix it right for $350.00." So, he said he could turn it around in less than 2 weeks, so I plan to take him the tank next week and get it fixed. Then the thing will be pristine except for a heli-coil that I need to fix.

Here is the paint damage on the tank

IMG_5701.JPG

And here is the top of the tank

IMG_5697.JPG

When it is all wiped off there is not a mark on the tank, except where the gas got to it. So after he fixes it, she should look good and I will hopefully begin riding her a lot.

I took the rear rack and the bags off of her and installed nice new chrome bolts, washers and acorn nuts. Certainly improved the look.

IMG_5688.JPG

IMG_5692.JPG

And as Mitch can attest, the ignition switch and motor mount area looked awful. I polished it up this morning. Very nice....yes, I even polished the key. LOL

IMG_5703.JPG

He said, "I can patch it for $50.00 or fix it right for $350.00."
Of course you could take that money, fold it up place it another pocket... Call it PATINA, along with a great story on how it happened...
I polished it up this morning. Very nice....yes, I even polished the key. LOL
I have no response...😳

Back