• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WR250R Info

tperk314

Forum Supporter
Does anyone have any experience with the Yamaha WR250R? I have been thinking of getting one. Currently I ride a DRZ400. I spend a lot of time in Colorado...and would like to have a fuel injected bike. I would also like to get a somewhat lighter bike. Here are the problems that I have found in my research: The WR is only about 20lbs lighter. Other forum reviews have complaints of no low end power. While capable of highway speeds...reviewers claim it is really wound out at 70mph. I'm thinking that a sprocket change would help the low end...but that would probably kill the highway speeds. Initially I was thinking that a fuel injected 250 might be close in power to my DRZ at 10000+ elevation...especially since I keep it tuned for about 4000. So far I've been happy with my DRZ...just thinking of trying something new and not sure it would haul my heavy butt around good enough (200lbs). Thanks for any info.

philipbarrett

Forum Supporter
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sshjqUYIOpY"]Yamaha WR250R vs Suzuki DRZ 400 DUAL SPORT DEATHMATCH! o#o - YouTube[/ame]

First Name
Francisco
Last Name
Romero
If you don't do a lot of miles on the pavement you may consider plating a recent Yamaha WR450F. These are fuel-injected bikes that can be found relatively inexpensive on Craigslist. They are higher maintenance than the WR250, don't have subframes, but they will perform great on the trails and still take you to them. Just a thought. Plating the bike is about $300. One advantage of buying a dirt bike with an MSO is that you don't pay sales tax. And you don't pay sales tax when you plate it either.

I think you'd need to pay the same amount of money for a well-kept WR250R

http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/mcy/5417627825.html

First Name
Fred
Ive had Sparky, my 16' WRR for about a year now and it works great for me. I'm 200 lbs and it she does just fine on trail (class 1 & 2) dirt roads. At 9,000 ft. (Cloudcroft, NM) I didn't have a problem, but there wern't what I would call steep climbs.

On the road is where I notice its 250cc size. She cruises 55-60 comfortably on level ground. However you add a 15-20 mph headwind or 15° hill and you will need to downshift and drop a few Mph.

Sparky Thread = http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106865

The DRZ-S should have already a CV carb that is attitude compensating.

But every 1000 ft is 3% power loss...10,000 ft is 30% less.

WR at sea level is 23.5 HP/ 14.4 ft-pound.
WR at 10,000' is 16 HP/ 10 ft-pound.

DRZ at sea level is 32.5 HP/ 23.9 ft-pound.
DRZ at 10,000' is 23 HP/ 17 ft-pound.

Last edited:
First Name
Fred
Yeah, it's nice to have choices and it's all about deciding on what you what the bike to do. For me, I was more focused on fuel injection, light weight, and good suspenshion. I looked at the KTM 350 EXC-F, but couldnt justify the extra $4K. Now if Yamaha made a WR450R, I would have strongly considered...

Turns out the little 250 is pleanty of power for my ride style & in some ways has kept me out of trouble :sun:

Enjoy your ride :rider:

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Brewster
Simmons1 has a bunch of experience with the 250. He's been pretty busy, but he might have some good input if you can catch him.

The WR250 in stock trim is a bit slow off the line. It does however have a huge power hit at high rpms. My WR250 has power programer, different muffler, air box mods, larger sprockets, muffler..... It now has snap off the line, a bit less snap in the middle rpms and then the huge power hit at high rpms. But I am in the process of converting my WR450F to a Colorado adventure bike. I plated it, purchased a fuel chip and programer, dual sport tires, and bigger gas tank. Reviews are mixed on if you must have a Cush hub for extended highway miles IF you can keep from juicing it on the pavement. I will report back after our Colorado trip this summer but it does seem the best of both the DRZ and the WR250 but requires more maintenance and is perhaps less comfortable on the pavement.

Last edited:

tperk314

Forum Supporter
Hey guys...bent my WRR brake pedal on a ride last week & looking for an aftermarket replacement. I find lots of options for the WR250F...but not much for the WR250R. I looked up the part#s for both the R & F, and they are different, but look exactly alike. Does anyone know if the F pedal and the R pedal are interchangeable? Thanks.