• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wrong Way 'Round the Bend 2011

Waiting for word at the BBQ in Terlingua about your whereabouts I thought about the many situations that might have come up on your trip. And wondering how your (my?) friends, family, patients, etc.. would react / come to your aid.

Having recently airlifted a friend with a broken back out of a not so far away, but still vehicle inaccessible, location was an eye opener for me. When we are out in the sticks, we should ride well within our limits. He was on a small trail bike going 25 mph. If this had happened in Mexico he likely would be dead.

Glad to see it was just some silly puttering around in the Mexican desert, purifying yourselves with dirt and goat herder's water. Can I go next year?

Milton & John, enjoyed every minute of your recount of your expedition. :clap:

I imagine you had some puckering moments. It seemed that way to us, reading from the comfort of an easy chair.

Thanks.

:hail:

Makes the stuff we were doing north of the border look positively benign in comparison.

What a fantastic ride report! And I don't know about Dr. Otto but Mr. Thompson acts like it was just a little jaunt in the park.
Coolhand, how is your ankle doing after that Orange Bike bit you?

What a story; truly enjoyable!
Thanks for the report and great pictures.

Waiting for word at the BBQ in Terlingua about your whereabouts I thought about the many situations that might have come up on your trip. And wondering how your (my?) friends, family, patients, etc.. would react / come to your aid.
You bring up an interesting point, Pete. I had a SPOT going. And assumed EVERYBODY in Terlingua was following our every move.

Wrong.

I'd emailed the web link to Richard, but failed to take into account Richard didn't have a laptop, so wasn't watching from Terlingua. I'd also given the link to my gal friend, but she had computer problems and never looked once. I guess a buddy in Canada was watching, (who knows none of you guys), and John had a friend who was watching, but what if something terribly wrong had taken place? I guess my biggest fear was a kidnapping.

I, myself, certainly ride way differently down there. As in super cautious. And I don't give a D*** 'bout how silly I look, we gonna go slow and easy. No time for trying new tricks. You guys slip sliding around the Bend up there certainly had that on us.

I also suppose I rely on the locals quite a bit. More than once I imagined having to walk out, leaving the bikes somewheres. How many times have I knocked on a door and asked if I could spend the night? Glad that didn't happen 'cause usually the distances were a lot further than I imagined. But I guess that's what makes it an adventure. I guess we all find our "edge" somewhere.

Next time I'll put you to the SPOT list.
Can I go next year?
Next time you can lead, Mr Shadman. It's easy. All you have to do is follow John. :lol2:

And thanks to all the rest for the kind words.
Certainly humbling.

"Rancho Aviones in the background. This rancho has its own little shrine. Some 20 miles from Alamo de Marquez"
Did you happen to look in the shrine and see what it was dedicated to?

I wish I could make TAR this year just to see the Good Dr. Otto's presentation on this trip. That alone would make it worthwhile.

I wish I could make TAR this year just to see the Good Dr. Otto's presentation on this trip. That alone would make it worthwhile.
Now don't go startin' that. You're gonna cause me anxiety. :eek2:

You bring up an interesting point, Pete. I had a SPOT going. And assumed EVERYBODY in Terlingua was following our every move.

Wrong.

John had a friend who was watching, but what if something terribly wrong had taken place? I guess my biggest fear was a kidnapping.

Milton,that be me.....John sent me the link to your spot,and believe me,I watched every move you two made.From the breakfast you two ate at Denny's on Wednesday morning until you went to the house across the street from where you live,when you got home. By the way...nice house.
I didn't share that info with anyone because I wasn't sure how many people you wanted to know what you two were doing.

I used your SPOT link, Google Earth and Google maps to see what you guys were doing. On the third day,when you guys only went 16 miles,and on my computer screen it looked like y'all were trying to draw a star, I was starting to get worried. If you two didn't start moving by the next morning I was loaded and ready to head you way. John had given me the GPX file and I was ready to come at y'all from the West if I had to. Aint sure what I'd do once I got there but I was coming.
I would have been with you guys but when y'all left, my family was still out of town and I had to stay home and take care of the zoo until they got home. I just couldn't get there before you guys crossed the border....maybe next time.
And thanks for taking all of us along with you two. And John and that GPS? What a great guide he is.

Milton,that be me.....John sent me the link to your spot,and believe me,I watched every move you two made.
So, you be the one. So now I know. Well, glad someone was watching over us. I would religiously send the "I'm ok" message each evening and each morning, and whenever we tarried for too long in one place.
And John and that GPS? What a great guide he is.
Man, you got that right. Could not have happened without him.

So, you be the one. So now I know. Well, glad someone was watching over us. I would religiously send the "I'm ok" message each evening and each morning, and whenever we tarried for too long in one place.
Man, you got that right. Could not have happened without him.

I watched every night until I saw the I'm ok thing. Me and John are going to be testing out his skills next Thursday through Saturday......up in dem Arkansas hills. He sure has taught me a lot about my GPS. Without him it would probably be one of those things that never got used much.

Great report! Entertaining, educational, and very much inspiring. Thank you!!!

Back