• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2019 husky 701 build

500 has more frequent oil changes.

Not necessarily. Keep in mind the 500 is essentially a race bike, so the specified intervals are geared toward that application. With modern oils, there is no real risk in extending the oil change intervals if you are not racing. I would probably take my 530 EXC out to 3-5K miles IF I actually got to ride it more often. As it is, the only time I get to ride it is when I do a big trip (6-8 days of riding) every year or so. And then I might get to do the occasional afternoon ride. So basically, I am changing my oil once a year just because... I do however pay close attention to the oil level because it does not have a large reservoir like bigger bikes.

Not necessarily. Keep in mind the 500 is essentially a race bike, so the specified intervals are geared toward that application. With modern oils, there is no real risk in extending the oil change intervals if you are not racing. I would probably take my 530 EXC out to 3-5K miles IF I actually got to ride it more often. As it is, the only time I get to ride it is when I do a big trip (6-8 days of riding) every year or so. And then I might get to do the occasional afternoon ride. So basically, I am changing my oil once a year just because... I do however pay close attention to the oil level because it does not have a large reservoir like bigger bikes.
I'm a fan of going by the smell, color and feel of the oil.

The new 690/701s have a 6200 mile interval
19c214588f4412569179afd0d4ef5a75.jpg

I can't recall the guy's name, but there is an Australian dude that has been doing the world travel thing on a 500 EXC and I think he's been doing 5K oil change intervals. Someone else might know who it is. There has been an ongoing debate on the subject over at AdvRider for a long time.

Is it motonomad ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Not him, but he is another good example. The guy I am thinking of went all through South America and parts of North America. I am not sure if he is still out there or not.

Adam's video's are awesome, especially the ones he does for the KTM adventure rallies.

So a ktm 500 ridden a 100 miles pavement to do 50 miles dirt roads and 100 miles home isn’t the same as a race? Maintenance wise? And how many miles give or take is 15 hours?

You are absolutely right for longer road sprints, that said that was the reason I got rid of my 690, I hated it on the road, just didn't fit right. I actually hurt riding it. Raised bars, lower footpegs, and tall seat, nothing worked. Didn't try a small windshield but doubt that would have helped. But I still loved the 690 on dirt roads, was a hoot. I don't want to ride either far on pavement. Why I went to the 800 gs, not near as worthy offroad but I can still get through stuff but so MUCH better on the road, I could travel on it. And sadly, around here I have to ride so much pavement to get to any decent dirt roads. If inArkansas, I'd just go with a 500 and deal with it.

Rob said it right in this post. If we lived in Arkansas, Colorado, Utah and the dirt roads were in your back yard they would be ok. But in Texas to much pavement to get to what little gravel roads we have. Look on ADV and every 690 or 701 you see come up for sale won’t have 5k miles on them and up for sale.

So a ktm 500 ridden a 100 miles pavement to do 50 miles dirt roads and 100 miles home isn’t the same as a race? Maintenance wise? And how many miles give or take is 15 hours?
I generally have a 45mph moving average on a DS ride on my 525 so 15hrs would be 675 miles. I have gone over a thousand, but usually change around that 15hr mark.

To dirtyrider, I’m currently blessed to have dirt roads all around me so I could put some fun miles. I’m just thinking of those days where I want to ride to the hill country roads or even the Bastrop area roads.

And just FYI, I’m 6’ , 235lb, 36” waist.. My buddy ASPR just texted me that “you can’t pull a cattle trailer with a Prius”.

At least JMZ just said I’m fat and need more suspension. Friends!!!

And just FYI, I’m 6’ , 235lb, 36” waist.. My buddy ASPR just texted me that “you can’t pull a cattle trailer with a Prius”.

I meant you need the right tool for the job!
As in the XR is not a "dirt bike".
Not calling you fat lol.

JMZ never said you were fat. JMZ said for your size he would go with a 500 over a 350 because bwdmax told me the same thing and Im a solid 15 heavier than you .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I really think the 690/701 would be the way to go unless you think you are going to be single track trails. Still, you'd want to look into going to a stiffer rear spring at your weight if you plan to put any luggage on it. They are designed for riders around 170-180 lbs with no luggage. Cranking up the preload will help some, but it doesn't take long to max that out. You might be able to get away with slightly thicker weight oil in the rear shock so you wouldn't have to put in any kind of aftermarket shock. Same for the front, slightly stiffer springs and slightly heavier oil. This would help preserve the full range of suspension travel and improve the ride. Springs and oil are not super expensive.

I have no doubt the 500 would have the power to haul you, but it really just doesn't sound like the kind of bike you'd want.

At 235 and 36", don't sound fat to me! I take care of that moniker. 6'3" at 260 and 38-40" waist.

If you guys are going to keep talking about, and comparing weight and waist sizes...well I think I will just go stand in the corner. No commit

Back