• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2019 husky 701 build

The fat around your waist is the real killer.

Waist size/weight/height and belly size often don't correlate. DAMHIKT on paper my numbers are perfect but reality is this. LOL
a628398cf0c092b3d7f22dc759341461.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

On our Mexico trips I'm seeing a lot of 690's and 701's. Fang has 30,000 plus trouble free miles on his '12? 690. And he constantly bounces it off the limiter and does 1000 mile days to Mexico at sustained 85 - 90 mph.

Most of the other 701's and 690's are fast, capable, and trouble free. The real issues are when shadetree mechanics like us start swapping parts to personalize. And not buttoning them up to factory specs.

That’s good to hear. I’ll continue watching the site, cycle trader, and craigslist. The new ones (500-701) are so close in price that it’s a non issue. There’s even an older model ktm 350 at Killeen power sports in Austin that’s brand new with a few farkles that’s in the same $10k price range

That’s good to hear. I’ll continue watching the site, cycle trader, and craigslist. The new ones (500-701) are so close in price that it’s a non issue. There’s even an older model ktm 350 at Killeen power sports in Austin that’s brand new with a few farkles that’s in the same $10k price range
Are you going to trade/sell that honda xr -(something) ?

No, she will be my single/two track bike I can abuse. New bike will be my “oh, stromxtc wants to go ride”.

No, she will be my single/two track bike I can abuse. New bike will be my “oh, stromxtc wants to go ride”.
I can't keep up with you in your hooligan mode nimble bike rides . Need to get you back on your gs and go grab 1 beer in shiner just to say I've done it.

On our Mexico trips I'm seeing a lot of 690's and 701's. Fang has 30,000 plus trouble free miles on his '12? 690. And he constantly bounces it off the limiter and does 1000 mile days to Mexico at sustained 85 - 90 mph.

Most of the other 701's and 690's are fast, capable, and trouble free. The real issues are when shadetree mechanics like us start swapping parts to personalize. And not buttoning them up to factory specs.

I have done 1000 mile days and a 1574 mile day. I would have to be riding with the guy on a 690 to believe that. Was you with him on this 1000 miles or did he trailer 800 miles and ride the last 200 and tell you this.

I have done 1000 mile days and a 1574 mile day. I would have to be riding with the guy on a 690 to believe that. Was you with him on this 1000 miles or did he trailer 800 miles and ride the last 200 and tell you this.
You really are a legend, 1574 miles in one day is unreal. For us KTM riders that's half a year. But seriously that's awesome. And I agree 1000 miles on a 690 in 24 hours is questionable.

You really are a legend, 1574 miles in one day is unreal. For us KTM riders that's half a year. But seriously that's awesome. And I agree 1000 miles on a 690 in 24 hours is questionable.
Make that 1000 miles in 24hrs on any single cylinder, "dirt bike" based motorcycle.

Make that 1000 miles in 24hrs on any single cylinder, "dirt bike" based motorcycle.
True, I wouldn't try on anything personally. Just doesn't sound like fun. But on a 690 would be torture.

Yeah, but you're gary. You're superhuman
Not superhuman and in no way meant as bragging. I wasn’t going to post, but did just as a data point. I’m not saying it is something that I would do on a regular basis. There are plenty of guys that do more impressive rides and crazy miles than this.

Great read Gary, thanks for re posting that awesome adventure.

Not superhuman and in no way meant as bragging. I wasn’t going to post, but did just as a data point. I’m not saying it is something that I would do on a regular basis. There are plenty of guys that do more impressive rides and crazy miles than this.
I know you're not one to boast. I might be interested in that as well. When my ship comes in

Hey hey hey! That’s nice. Are the ‘08s good? Fuel injected?

Hey hey hey! That’s nice. Are the ‘08s good? Fuel injected?

From 2008 thru 2011 the 690 was actually 654cc.
From 2012 thru 2013 they raised the displacement to 690cc.
From 2014 thru 2018 they went with a dual spark head, a more simplified ECU, and ABS.
The new 2019 KTM's have the redisigned engine from the 701 with the counterbalancers for less vibration.

I would recommend the 2014 and later models as the dual spark head and new ECU have flawless FI and ABS.

Roger, what about charging system differences between the 450/500/501 and the 690/701? Do the 690/701s put out more juice? If you want to run auxilliary lights, heated grips, GPS, etc,... that might be an important consideration when trying to decide between the 500/501 and a 690/701.

well If it doesn’t sell before I can get there, I think I’ll take a looks at that ‘08. Any obvious things I should look for? I’ve never owned or been around ktm’s

Back