• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WWII Motorcycle half-track

I don't see it simply going where the front wheel is pointed, I could be wrong but a hard turn would only cause the front to plow unless one track or the other is braked, pedals have to be involved in the operation same as a tricycle tractor.
I met a man who was in the German army on the Eastern Front (and got out alive) and rode motorcycles BMW, Zundapp and the Kettenkrad. He said that turning the bars actuated a switch and the tracks on that side so it would turn. He even showed me his drivers license from the German Army saying he was qualified to drive the Kettenkrad. He passed away a few years ago.

I don't see it simply going where the front wheel is pointed, I could be wrong but a hard turn would only cause the front to plow unless one track or the other is braked, pedals have to be involved in the operation same as a tricycle tractor.
There were switches that when you turned the bars the would turn off power to that side of the tracks. A friend of mine's father-in-law was in the German army in Russia and got out alive. He rode BMW's and Zundapp's with driven side cars and I joked that he should have his son-in-law get him a Kettenkrad. The old man smiled and went to his room only to return with his official German Army drivers license saying he was qualified to drive one. Amazing.
DKW before the war built a very good little 125, as war reparation's both BSA and Harley got the rights and so we got the BSA Bantam and Harley Hummer.

Back