• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yamaha Tenere 700 twtex thread T7 XTZ700

2 questions. First, how bad is that repair the busted oil pan?

Second, anybody have any reports on how these handle the boring part of the adventure? You know, the boring slab part that you might have to ride to get to the fun stuff. I see a lot of reviews on how good they are off road in the fun stuff, but not enough of the other.
The oil pan was fixed trailside with liquid steel and the ride was finished. The pan was removed and welded after the ride.

I have done a few 300 to 400 mile days with ease.

I went up one on the front sprocket so it would cruise at a lower RPM on the highway.
Highway riding is fantastic. I love this bike. I have a short inseam so I lowered mine 2" front and rear. I have had a blast on or off pavement.

So when do I get to see it Dan?

QUOTE So when do I get to see it Dan?
I am sure we will meet on some ride someday.

Big Rock Moto

Yamaha Tenere 700 : Blowing Away Expectations It's been a long wait, but I finally have a Tenere 700 in the garage. This is not a press bike, I purchased it for long term testing. The T7 is probably the hottest ADV bike on the market, and after riding it a few times now, I can see why. It's small and light enough to do some serious trails, but it's also smooth and comfortable for the highway. With minimal tech and gimmicks, it also appeals to riders looking for ultimate long term reliability. How does it compare to the KTM 790 and 890 Adventure, the Honda Africa Twin, R1250GS, KLR650, V-Strom and other popular ADV bikes?

I need a T700, but cant find one in TX!! Anybody know a dealer that's hiding one for a Marine Corps Vet?

I have a 2019 R1250GS and am debating trading it in when the T700 finally comes in. You ever want to do something, but not sure you are making the right choice? The GS is amazing and is the pinnacle of luxury and refinement in my book, but it sure is heavy and I keep going down and banging my ankles on the crash bars. Would be nice to have a lighter bike better offroad that I can change the appearance of. The GS is sort of hard to make cool... The T7 I can add stickers, exhaust, suspension sprockets etc. Any opinions here? Would you go from a $25K GS to a $10K T700? I havent been doing those long rides anymore so mainly 3-4 hours trips with dirt. Curious.

I have a 2019 R1250GS and am debating trading it in when the T700 finally comes in. You ever want to do something, but not sure you are making the right choice? The GS is amazing and is the pinnacle of luxury and refinement in my book, but it sure is heavy and I keep going down and banging my ankles on the crash bars. Would be nice to have a lighter bike better offroad that I can change the appearance of. The GS is sort of hard to make cool... The T7 I can add stickers, exhaust, suspension sprockets etc. Any opinions here? Would you go from a $25K GS to a $10K T700? I havent been doing those long rides anymore so mainly 3-4 hours trips with dirt. Curious.

Get the T7 and get the suspension setup properly for your weight and load.

Get the T7. I had a GS1200 and rode it to Alaska and back. Great bike for that but for sand, dirt etc. it was too much weight and bulk for my small frame. My T7 is fantastic for this kind of riding. You won't regret it.

My acquaintance, Jim, is ready for battle!
241893324_10159876347478615_2810913849573581432_n.jpg

Quick note, the Tenere700 chain uses *122* links, so don't go to cycle gear and buy a 120 link chain, then see it come up one tooth short and have to keep your bike at Chad's house and leech a ride home from your friends

Quick note, the Tenere700 chain uses *122* links, so don't go to cycle gear and buy a 120 link chain, then see it come up one tooth short and have to keep your bike at Chad's house and leech a ride home from your friends
Thats great to know. Thanks.

Use this thread to post your Tenere 700 T7 stuff here- pics, modifications, upgrades, accessories, luggage, protection, problems, owner's review, etc...

i'll kick off w/ this:

When i got the t7, the stock bar felt to me like it has a bit too shallow of a sweep angle, not allowing my palms to lay parallel to the grips. i looked around, and found this handlebar:

stock t7 (silver) vs. Pro taper "ADV" bar = more sweep angle (to fit my ergos) + taller (for standing up)

View attachment 284637

during install, i went with drilling holes on the bar to capture/hold the locking pins on the controls instead of cutting off the pins. measure twice, drill once...i failed, there's an extra hole on mine.
But new bar fits just right for me!
View attachment 284639
Note that i didn't reinstall factory bar end weights .... T7's insanely smooth & vibration free at all hwy speeds. w/o the weights.. don't know why yamaha put weights on t7, it don't need it w/ that motor.

I reused stock grips, the clutch cable & brake hose had ample slack to accomodate the taller bar. i rotated the throttle down a bit to get correct slack. now the half waffle on the grips isn't where the fingers rest on. i'll fix that when it needs new grips,

For hand guards, i went w/ barkbusters brand, but i didn't get the ones made specifically for the T7 since the stock bar weights got deleted,
instead, i went w/ barkbusters storm for the KTM ADV 1090-1290,. which comes w/ the univ. expandable locking bar end mounts and the multi swivel mount that mates over a myriad of angles to fit this bar's larger sweep bend,

View attachment 284651

Finally, for offroading i typically replace stock mirrors for swivel mirrors .
in the past i've used the ram ball swivel types , and they've failed to hold up.

This time around, i went w/ these simple but effective folding mirrors. so far, there's NO vibrations at hwy speeds, yet it'll fold and lock in place,View attachment 284652

Got them off amazon, $20 for both :thumb: :thumb: ( vs., $130 for the ram ball setup)

Use this thread to post your Tenere 700 T7 stuff here- pics, modifications, upgrades, accessories, luggage, protection, problems, owner's review, etc...

I see two bars on the evo handlebars:

Did you go with the normal or "high" bar? How do you like it offroad?

I went w / the normal one. I like it alot, more relaxed ergo when im standing up on pegs.
I'm even thinking of getting a second set for my 690.

My T700 is pretty well farkled for my use now: Tusk pannier and top rack, Apache top and side cases, SW Motech centerstand, Mitas E07 front tire. I do miss the tubeless tire procedure that I had with my two BMWs. Tube type tires are the only drawback on the T700 that I see. Otherwise, it's great. Found mine in Phoenix and had it shipped.

Attachments

• 20210919_092751.jpg
    20210919_092751.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 445
Reactions: Dao

i'll kick off w/ this:

When i got the t7, the stock bar felt to me like it has a bit too shallow of a sweep angle, not allowing my palms to lay parallel to the grips. i looked around, and found this handlebar:

stock t7 (silver) vs. Pro taper "ADV" bar = more sweep angle (to fit my ergos) + taller (for standing up)

View attachment 284637

during install, i went with drilling holes on the bar to capture/hold the locking pins on the controls instead of cutting off the pins. measure twice, drill once...i failed, there's an extra hole on mine.
But new bar fits just right for me!
View attachment 284639
Note that i didn't reinstall factory bar end weights .... T7's insanely smooth & vibration free at all hwy speeds. w/o the weights.. don't know why yamaha put weights on t7, it don't need it w/ that motor.

I reused stock grips, the clutch cable & brake hose had ample slack to accomodate the taller bar. i rotated the throttle down a bit to get correct slack. now the half waffle on the grips isn't where the fingers rest on. i'll fix that when it needs new grips,

For hand guards, i went w/ barkbusters brand, but i didn't get the ones made specifically for the T7 since the stock bar weights got deleted,
instead, i went w/ barkbusters storm for the KTM ADV 1090-1290,. which comes w/ the univ. expandable locking bar end mounts and the multi swivel mount that mates over a myriad of angles to fit this bar's larger sweep bend,

View attachment 284651

Finally, for offroading i typically replace stock mirrors for swivel mirrors .
in the past i've used the ram ball swivel types , and they've failed to hold up.

This time around, i went w/ these simple but effective folding mirrors. so far, there's NO vibrations at hwy speeds, yet it'll fold and lock in place,View attachment 284652

Got them off amazon, $20 for both :thumb: :thumb: ( vs., $130 for the ram ball setup)

Those look great. Do you have a link for them? Also can you lock/unlock to fold them w/o tools? THANKS!!

Just realized today that there was a Tenere group on TWT...I got mine in November. Re: handlebars, I dropped my bike and bent the stock ones, got some Protapers that are close to stock. Here is a reference for stock dimensions:
Stock Bars:
Width - A = 780 mm
Height - B = 79 mm
Rise - C = 56-58 mm
Clamp Area - D = 157 mm
Sweep - E = 52 mm
Control Area - F = 226 mm

Reactions: Dao
Back