• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yamaha Tenere 700 twtex thread T7 XTZ700

Dao

Reaction score
Use this thread to post your Tenere 700 T7 stuff here- pics, modifications, upgrades, accessories, luggage, protection, problems, owner's review, etc...

i'll kick off w/ this:

When i got the t7, the stock bar felt to me like it has a bit too shallow of a sweep angle, not allowing my palms to lay parallel to the grips. i looked around, and found this handlebar:

stock t7 (silver) vs. Pro taper "ADV" bar = more sweep angle (to fit my ergos) + taller (for standing up)

evo adv bar2.jpeg

during install, i went with drilling holes on the bar to capture/hold the locking pins on the controls instead of cutting off the pins. measure twice, drill once...i failed, there's an extra hole on mine.
But new bar fits just right for me!
evo adv bar3.jpg

Note that i didn't reinstall factory bar end weights .... T7's insanely smooth & vibration free at all hwy speeds. w/o the weights.. don't know why yamaha put weights on t7, it don't need it w/ that motor.

I reused stock grips, the clutch cable & brake hose had ample slack to accomodate the taller bar. i rotated the throttle down a bit to get correct slack. now the half waffle on the grips isn't where the fingers rest on. i'll fix that when it needs new grips,

For hand guards, i went w/ barkbusters brand, but i didn't get the ones made specifically for the T7 since the stock bar weights got deleted,
instead, i went w/ barkbusters storm for the KTM ADV 1090-1290,. which comes w/ the univ. expandable locking bar end mounts and the multi swivel mount that mates over a myriad of angles to fit this bar's larger sweep bend,

20210116-170728.jpg

Finally, for offroading i typically replace stock mirrors for swivel mirrors .
in the past i've used the ram ball swivel types , and they've failed to hold up.

This time around, i went w/ these simple but effective folding mirrors. so far, there's NO vibrations at hwy speeds, yet it'll fold and lock in place,
20210121-151933.jpg

Got them off amazon, $20 for both :thumb: :thumb: ( vs., $130 for the ram ball setup)

Use this thread to post your Tenere 700 T7 stuff here- pics, modifications, upgrades, accessories, luggage, protection, problems, owner's review, etc...

ADV handlebar = 34" wide , barkbuster end to end
Dry saddlebags = 31" wide , outside to outside
20210224-183704-2.jpg

lightweight side racks that don't stick out a mile ....
they got 'em....in blue too

20210226-095816.jpg

20210224-184015-2.jpg

Adv Spec alum side racks (4 lbs) & SW Motech top carrier (10 lbs)
20210223-182456-2.jpg

20210224-183749.jpg

20201221-164533.jpg

Last edited:
Bought this Camel ADV brand aux. fuel tank for my last trip where we needed to cover 160 hwy miles between fill ups.
20210306-173654.jpg

Outstanding quality construction & design work. Its tucks inside this empty unused space perfectly. empty aux. tank & brkts = 5 lbs

20210226-095816.jpg

...so easy to install and plumb up (2hrs install time) ...far easier than my 690 aux tank (5-6 hrs) & and night and day easier than my husaberg safari tank (10 hrs).

Total fuel cap. = 4.2 + 1.3 = 5.5 gals , 200+ mile range @ 75-80 mph steady interstate

20210317-103902.jpg

It got put to good use.

20210319-134654.jpg

Price for that tank ? Great use of space.

$385, FREE SHIPPING. Ordered online on a Thurs, 8 days later, delivered to my door the following Fri.
Shipped out of Canada,
No tax or duties until orders hit $800 USD.

Sooner or later, a set of sticky knobbies will be on your T7 priority list.

Good to see some other setups. I put quite a bit of thougth into mine as I shoved stuff onto it. My ideal situation was hauling everything to a base camp, unloading camping gear/non-offroad items, ride off-road as light as possible, remount gear and trek home. Stuff I did, order of importance, I guess:

1. Camel ADV one-finger clutch kit. The MOST important/game-changing thing I did to the bike. Takes the short friction zone and hard clutch pull, and makes it into a soft, controllable pull. For technical riding, it's a must-do in my opinion.

2. Touratech lower crash bars. I have no plans to put upper crash bars on mine, with barkbusters and the wide engine, the fairings almost never touch the ground. I destroyed a pair of dirtbike feau-barkbusters, and my fairing was practically untouched. I also added the matching skidplate, but it's a pretty terrible skidplate imo.

3. Outback motortek rear symettrical x-frame pannier rack. I searched through a lot of pannier options, most of them are a really odd shape around the exhaust or assymetrical, which always looked really funky to me. I bought the symmetrical x-frame pack. Also protects the exhaust. The cross-brace might interfere with a tail tidy kit.

4. And with that x-frame, I mounted a rotopax inside the left pannier rack. I have run out of gas with this bike before and it's not fun. I thought the camel adv gas tank just looked goofy (although now that I'm seeing the black version I'm re-thinking that...) and seemed a pain to install. Rotopax installed as with this video:

5. Quadlock "moped" mount. For mounting my spare, broken (dedicated offline gps) smartphone on that little bar on the dash. Works great.

6. Some snakeskin tank grips, these are mildly useful.

7. Oh, and barkbusters, duh. Got some generic case covers too, initially.

8. Lithium Ion battery that I had laying around. Turns out the t7 has the same battery specs as a KLR650

Mounted up:
20210402_112429.jpg

Unloaded, off-road:

20210312_130152.jpg

Dash:
20210402_112637. .jpg

TODO:
- Thicker grips, my hands are too big for the stock ones
- exhaust inner mounting, such that I don't have to hack up the bike to mount and don't need racks to protect it
- chunkier tires once the front finally wears out (4000 miles and it still looks brand new...?)
- better pannier bags, didn't list mine because they're awful

Last edited:
Is that the exhaust that is from some weird polish company? (Huzar or something?) I thought about that but I wasn't sure of the quality/time shipping. I very much like it going underneath the original mount
Yes its the one from Poland. Quality is good, shipping was a couple weeks or so, its a smokin deal at $225 plus or minus depending on current exchange rate.

A little surprised about the hard clutch pull comment. Friction zone could bigger, but mine is one finger pull all day.

Good to see some other setups. I put quite a bit of thougth into mine as I shoved stuff onto it. My ideal situation was hauling everything to a base camp, unloading camping gear/non-offroad items, ride off-road as light as possible, remount gear and trek home. Stuff I did, order of importance, I guess:

1. Camel ADV one-finger clutch kit. The MOST important/game-changing thing I did to the bike. Takes the short friction zone and hard clutch pull, and makes it into a soft, controllable pull. For technical riding, it's a must-do in my opinion.

2. Touratech lower crash bars. I have no plans to put upper crash bars on mine, with barkbusters and the wide engine, the fairings almost never touch the ground. I destroyed a pair of dirtbike feau-barkbusters, and my fairing was practically untouched. I also added the matching skidplate, but it's a pretty terrible skidplate imo.

3. Outback motortek rear symettrical x-frame pannier rack. I searched through a lot of pannier options, most of them are a really odd shape around the exhaust or assymetrical, which always looked really funky to me. I bought the symmetrical x-frame pack. Also protects the exhaust. The cross-brace might interfere with a tail tidy kit.

4. And with that x-frame, I mounted a rotopax inside the left pannier rack. I have run out of gas with this bike before and it's not fun. I thought the camel adv gas tank just looked goofy (although now that I'm seeing the black version I'm re-thinking that...) and seemed a pain to install. Rotopax installed as with this video:

5. Quadlock "moped" mount. For mounting my spare, broken (dedicated offline gps) smartphone on that little bar on the dash. Works great.

8. Lithium Ion battery that I had laying around. Turns out the t7 has the same battery specs as a KLR650

Mounted up:
View attachment 289444

Unloaded, off-road:

View attachment 289443

Dash:
View attachment 289445

TODO:
- exhaust inner mounting, such that I don't have to hack up the bike to mount and don't need racks to protect it
- chunkier tires once the front finally wears out (4000 miles and it still looks brand new...?)

Great info Mark. It will be useful for me as I am setting mine up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a 1200 super tenere and my wife rides a FZ07, she is 5'2" tall, she would like to trade the FZ in for a 700 tenere (she rides a lot of dirt on a CRF250F) so that we can both do a bit of mild dual sport riding on the road bikes.. We went to our local Yamaha dealer, they had a 700 tenere with the Yamaha 20mm lowering links and the 20mm lower seat (so 40mm lowering total (about 1.5 inches)), unfortunately she still couldn't even get one foot on the ground, she doesn't need the 6 or 7 inches of suspension travel that the bike has so we would like to see if it's possible to lower the seat by about 3 inches (maybe a 20mm lower seat and 50mm lowering link). Does anything like this exist? What does it do to the handling (we will drop the forks about 15mm (maximum possible, might even modify them internally to reduce the travel and lower the front a bit more). Loving the idea of us both doing some mild dual sport riding, so trying to find a solution..

She doesn't want a KTM!!, just looking for ideas on a 700cc road bike that can do some mild dirt riding.

Gary

I own a 1200 super tenere and my wife rides a FZ07, she is 5'2" tall, she would like to trade the FZ in for a 700 tenere (she rides a lot of dirt on a CRF250F) so that we can both do a bit of mild dual sport riding on the road bikes.. We went to our local Yamaha dealer, they had a 700 tenere with the Yamaha 20mm lowering links and the 20mm lower seat (so 40mm lowering total (about 1.5 inches)), unfortunately she still couldn't even get one foot on the ground, she doesn't need the 6 or 7 inches of suspension travel that the bike has so we would like to see if it's possible to lower the seat by about 3 inches (maybe a 20mm lower seat and 50mm lowering link). Does anything like this exist? What does it do to the handling (we will drop the forks about 15mm (maximum possible, might even modify them internally to reduce the travel and lower the front a bit more). Loving the idea of us both doing some mild dual sport riding, so trying to find a solution..

She doesn't want a KTM!!, just looking for ideas on a 700cc road bike that can do some mild dirt riding.

Gary
Yamaha XSR700 with knobbies?

Cbr500x?

Moto Guzzi 85TT?

Strip the orange and branding off a KTM 390 Adventure and tell her it's a Yamaha? :)

I always wondered how a newer Suzuki SV650 with dual-sport tires bash plate would do o. Gravel roads. 30 Inc seat and 75hp.

I always wondered how a newer Suzuki SV650 with dual-sport tires bash plate would do o. Gravel roads. 30 Inc seat and 75hp.
Ergos don't really support standing...other than that, it might be fine.

Ergos might be fixable with risers.

@mr72 is well along in that particular experiment with an earlier generation and could likely tell us more.

Gary
Koubalink is showing a 1.5" lowering link. https://www.koubalinks.com/yamaha/tenere700

Soupy's Performance shows an adjustable link, not sure on how much. https://soupysperformance.com/soupys-tenere-700-xtz690-double-style-threaded-lowering-links.html

I don't know anything about either one.

Mounted up:
View attachment 289444

Unloaded, off-road:

View attachment 289443

Dash:
View attachment 289445

TODO:

For your thicker grips, try grip puppies or something similar. Easy to install and feel great. I have them on my GS and have a set ordered for my T7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@mr72 is well along in that particular experiment with an earlier generation and could likely tell us more.

I have a gs500 lightly converted for adv. You basically need three things. Handlebars move back about 2", footpegs forward about 3" and down at least as much, plus rework the shifter and brake lever. And you need to raise the suspension an inch or so on both ends and make it stiffer because otherwise it'll bottom all the time.

Conveniently suzuki did all this with the v-strom. Plus adding 100 lb somehow.

EDIT: I did write up a little about this in my blog today: https://joshkarnes.blogspot.com/2021/04/gs500e-adv-conversion-how-what-and-why.html

Last edited:
Quadlock "moped" mount. For mounting my spare, broken (dedicated offline gps) smartphone on that little bar on the dash. Works great.
Just what Im looking for. :thumb:
I was going to buy the one by ram & sw motech, but they both looked too heavy to put on that bar.
That one you linked is more suited for that little bar.

For now, i'm using two ram phone holders that's clamped onto the balls bolted on the center
bar clamps. I'm liking two phones to nav. as i can keep the gps map on one zoomed out, and the other one zoomed in.
20210317-124404.jpg

My phone charge cords gets its juice from the oem cigarette lighter port. to keep that usb charger from popping out of the 12v port, i wrapped a layer of elec. tape at the top base to make charger fit extra tighter inside the port. It hasn't moved one bit since.

btw, as some of you may already know....
that oem cigarette lighter port can't power a 12v tire pump. the fuse is only 2 amps, so i doubt the wiring for that port is thick enough to juice a tire pump.
I decided to wire a separate sae cord off the battery for my tire pump.

Back