• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yamaha Tenere 700 twtex thread T7 XTZ700

Sure thing, we rode the Mextrek. I had the blue T7, now it is black and orange. The vinyl wrap sure helps keep the plastics in top shape. It pushes the limits of my patience but it is worth it. I have been lucky with all the add ons I installed. My upcoming goal is to find a cheap exhaust on Amazon that sound good. Any suggestions?

Sure thing, we rode the Mextrek. I had the blue T7, now it is black and orange. The vinyl wrap sure helps keep the plastics in top shape. It pushes the limits of my patience but it is worth it. I have been lucky with all the add ons I installed. My upcoming goal is to find a cheap exhaust on Amazon that sound good. Any suggestions?
Heh, we sure have different priorities as far as aesthetics are concerned. I have no idea about the exhaust, I've never heard of someone exhaust shopping on amazon haha

Also, it's been in the back of my mind to make some kind of overall review, in whatever format. Not that I've been on a lot of adventure motorcycles, but I've done about everything on this bike short of trials and track, and demolished the bike in the process. Would anyone care?

What do you think was the cause for the rim bending? I mean, I just did Old Ore and ran tires at 25psi and did not have any issues. Was it in a particular trail? Tire pressure? Too aggressive riding? Someone just sold a pair of OEM wheels on Ebay for $750. I thought about buying them in case, but deferred the idea.
Curious too...rode old ore on mine earlier this year...no bends at 26 psi. But I would like to get a true tubeless rim for the front. I am running converted to TL in the rear.

https://www.srmoto.com/2022/02/tubeless-wheels-for-the-yamaha-tenere-700-from-alpina.html

1651070449762.png

SRmoto.com
Cuyahoga Falls OH 44223

Installed this bad boy on my bike a couple days ago. After two trips to the suspension shop my bad back cried uncle one last time on high speed compression hits. The new shock was darn expensive but was set up almost perfect right out of the box. The harshness on high speed compression hits is gone. My back is very happy now.

Attachments

• IMG_20220428_142527263.jpg
    IMG_20220428_142527263.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 105
Dear T700 owners, I’m in a pickle here. Changed front tire at TJ’s and now it’s back working good but the ABS is not kicking on in front. Rear works fine. Turned the ABS switch on/off multiple times but no luck. Any tips? I checked the ABS ring for damage while installing but cannot see any abnormal impact. Sensor seems fine to at 1/8” from ring.
C8A5AEFF-6A50-414F-836E-FA05719D0A45.jpeg

Attachments

• 9C6CEA9C-DCA6-4FAC-BD5E-A0410196D44F.jpeg
    9C6CEA9C-DCA6-4FAC-BD5E-A0410196D44F.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 99
  • BDD014E8-1622-45FF-AFE6-8A9C671C14D7.jpeg
    BDD014E8-1622-45FF-AFE6-8A9C671C14D7.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 96
Dear T700 owners, I’m in a pickle here. Changed front tire at TJ’s and now it’s back working good but the ABS is not kicking on in front. Rear works fine. Turned the ABS switch on/off multiple times but no luck. Any tips? I checked the ABS ring for damage while installing but cannot see any abnormal impact. Sensor seems fine to at 1/8” from ring. View attachment 324765
It won't hurt it to ride the bike with no ABS while you figure it out as long as there is no contact of anything.

I have heard of sensors getting damaged during wheel removal and installation. Sometimes I forget but usually I remove the sensor bolt and swing the sensor out of the way when doing tire changes to prevent the sensor from getting hit by the wheel.

Does the speedometer work? I believe it uses the same sensor.

When I go out I always make sure the rear and front abs are ok. Acceleration and braking will activate front and the I do the same for rear. I know this bike well.

No clue then. If the speedo works the ABS should.

I am grasping at straws but maybe unhook the battery for a few minutes and hook it back up to reset all the computers.

No. Disconnected the battery and waited but no luck. What is the distance from sensor to sensor disc? I noticed the rear (which works fine ) is farther from the disc than the front one which is almost touching the disc and won’t work.

No. Disconnected the battery and waited but no luck. What is the distance from sensor to sensor disc? I noticed the rear (which works fine ) is farther from the disc than the front one which is almost touching the disc and won’t work.
Mine is pretty close to the disk. I am guessing mine works, I never test it though.

Does the rear ABS work and just not the front?

Yes, rear is working good. If you ride your bike from 1st gear, rev it to 20 mph and then rear brake it. you will feel the brake skipping a couple of times to avoid locking. The same with front. It doesnt take that much speed to try to lock and feel the ABS in action, specially in the front. I really love the front brake in this T700 and definitely want to solve this dilemma because I use it a lot.

Wait, so you are testing the front by going 20mph and then hitting the front brake? Is the front wheel locking up and then lowsiding you into the ground? If not, then it might be working just fine or it doesn't need to engage yet since the wheel isn't locking. Can you better explain your testing methods for the front? Something doesn't seem quite right with how you described it before.

And unless I'm way off base on the workings of the T7 ABS, one wheel can't work without the other. At least that is 100% how it is on the T7's bigger brother.

Last edited:
I know there is a good TWT T7 Community here thought you would enjoy Pat and Diana journeys, this time on a T7
When not globe trotting they live in Wimberly.

Diana was a classmate from High School in Bellville TX

When you turn ABS off in the T7 the rear ABS wont work, the front always works. The ABS activates when it feels the wheel is about to lock, not after the wheel lock. It is a pulsating brake that allows the wheel to continue rotation. In my case iI try to activate the front ABS it doesnt pulsate. If I press enough the front locks. I have to be careful cause I could fall if done wrong. I have done it many many times to test everything is fine before rides. I tried today separating the sensor a bit (like the rear sensor) to see if that was the case but it did not work. The strange thing is that the speedo works fine and that uses the same sensor. At this point I think I might have the dealer bleed the brake lines to see if anything changes.

I know on BMW the bike gets speed only from the rear sensor. But all bikes the abs light will be on at start up. Most flash. Once a prescribed speed is reached they self test and light goes out. If light remains on, then you do have a concern and no abs.

When you turn ABS off in the T7 the rear ABS wont work, the front always works. The ABS activates when it feels the wheel is about to lock, not after the wheel lock. It is a pulsating brake that allows the wheel to continue rotation. In my case iI try to activate the front ABS it doesnt pulsate. If I press enough the front locks. I have to be careful cause I could fall if done wrong. I have done it many many times to test everything is fine before rides. I tried today separating the sensor a bit (like the rear sensor) to see if that was the case but it did not work. The strange thing is that the speedo works fine and that uses the same sensor. At this point I think I might have the dealer bleed the brake lines to see if anything changes.
Everything I've read says the opposite, at least for the 2021 model. Turning ABS off (via "offroad mode") shuts off front and rear completely. ABS activates *after* wheel locks for every ABS system I've heard of, since it either works off dramatic changes in wheel speed (the wheel locking up suddenly) or a difference in front and rear wheel speed (front wheel locks up, rear wheel doesn't). No idea how the fancy cornering abs works for KTM.

You also just got a new tire, no? It takes a lot of braking force for me to activate the front abs on dry pavement. Tried some gravel?

Back