• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

yeah well winter..

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

December on the Gulf Coast here in Sugar Land. Swings from clear/chilly to a bit warmer/overcast/light rain. I should have gone out for a ride earlier this week. I planned to take the MV out on a fairly long romp this morning. But, nope light rain. That turns my neighborhood roads to grease. Why is that? The entire area is one big construction zone, and the trucks spit out slippery goo mud on all the roads. It is treacherous. Better a big heavy rain, than this light stuff.

So, stayed home today. Maybe Sunday after the big forecast drenching rains that will clean the roads?

Seems as I get older, the less I like to ride when its cold, that is below around 60F. Yeah yeah I know. Spring will come, and we will have some nicer days.

I decided years ago that if I was afraid of 30 degree mornings I would miss all the nice afternoon rides.

:tab A light rain is FAR worse than a heavy rain when riding. The light rain is enough to make everything super slick, but not enough to wash away the stuff that makes it slick. I try to never ride in light rain or the first 5-10 minutes of a heavy rain. I want the heavy stuff to clean off the roads first. Also, construction vehicles typically lead a hard life, which often involves leaking various fluids which can make even a dry road slick.

I decided years ago that if I was afraid of 30 degree mornings I would miss all the nice afternoon rides.

Truth.

This is 2018, gear has come a long way. Mid-30's with heated gear is great. As the day warms up, turn the heat off and shed a layer or two.

And if it's high 40's and sunny, you don't even need heated gear. Just a good outer shell that blocks wind and some insulated layers below and you'll likely be sweating.

I probably ride more during this time of year than I do in July. I'd much rather it be 45 than 95.

Yea, I was planning to take my Bandit for a ride this morning too, but the light rain and wet roads kept me at home...maybe Sunday morning. :rider:

Prior to 2016, (before the chemo and stuff), I used to plan "FRIGID DIGITS" camping rides.
On one, Scott Strance and I survived 19* in Junction. The coffee froze as it boiled over the side of the percolator.
But, as long as you're breathing, it feels vitally ALIVE.
I wear a full goose-down liner, a ballistic vented jacket, and a Frog Tog rainsuit. And Dickie winter wool socks in my boots.
(Oh, yeah. You guys don't have a WINDJAMMER fairing. Tsk-tsk.)
That's been my ultimate cold weather set-up for years, through hard rains and snows.
At 68, I think maybe I could pull off another Frigid Digits this January!
Who's in? (Or is that 'out'?)

I have Aerostich leathers, and just got some new gauntlet gloves...so yeah I have the gear. Actually the MV would be better for cold weather riding than my Guzzi. The triple runs pretty hot compared to the Guzzi. Hopefully Saturday ride, after the big rains coming Friday?

I probably need to just get on and ride in cooler temps. Done so in past years...

Truth.

This is 2018, gear has come a long way. Mid-30's with heated gear is great. As the day warms up, turn the heat off and shed a layer or two.

And if it's high 40's and sunny, you don't even need heated gear. Just a good outer shell that blocks wind and some insulated layers below and you'll likely be sweating.

I probably ride more during this time of year than I do in July. I'd much rather it be 45 than 95.

All true but as I age I've just become more of a fair weather rider. Sorry if it's raining and cold I ain't going. Prefer close to 50, actually if I'm moving I don't mind the heat, if in traffic different deal.

Truth.

+1 on the heated gear!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All true but as I age I've just become more of a fair weather rider. Sorry if it's raining and cold I ain't going. Prefer close to 50, actually if I'm moving I don't mind the heat, if in traffic different deal.

I'm with you on the rain if it's just a day trip for fun as the rain just isn't much fun.

However, if I'm planning a multi day trip and I need to ride a day or two in rain in order to do the trip, I'm probably still going. As long as I get to ride in more sun than rain, it's probably still worth it to go.

It also depends on what kind of riding. Rain on my Goldwing isn't a big deal at all. That bike has so much wind / weather protection that I can ride in rain all day and not really be very wet at all. Now...on my KTM...that's a different story...rain sucks on that bike.

Bottom line...I prefer good weather, but I'm still willing to ride in rain and cold as long as there's the likelihood of good weather later on in the trip.

I like riding in the woods in the rain, so long as I don't have to deal with too much mud. There is just something about a wet overcast day and the way the woods look/feel that I like. Of course, given a choice, I'll take 75-80, clear, and sunny all year round... :-P

Being from PA there are not too many days in Texas I would consider too cold to ride, but plenty I consider too wet lol. We have days under 30 here, but not many. Snow is what used to keep my bike parked back in PA. Where I lived we measured it in feet not inches. Then the ash and salt they put on the roads made them dangerous in the spring after the thaw. It took a few good rains to clean off the roads to make them safe. As others have said heated gear and grips are lifesavers.

I have been riding a lot more than normal since October. Has been as low as 31 degrees several times on the way to work. I ride about 70 mile round trip. Have not used the heated gear other than some battery powered gloves from the KOA Strom-a-thon motorcycle garage sale. Just layering up and keeping a rain jacket as a back up on case it is even colder on the way home. 50 degrees seems to work better on the way home but it is plenty chilly on the ride in.

To paraphrase an old saying, "There are no bad riding days, only bad clothing... ,tire and bike choices." The older I get the less tolerant I am of the heat, but about the only surface I won't ride on is ice. Running errands in the rain is generally a cage only effort simply because getting in and out of the space man suit is a hassle.

Back