• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yet another Big Bend thread

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
I'm jumping on the Big Bend band wagon. Looking to run from DFW to Ft Davis on day one and camp there. for the next night, I'd like to camp at Cotton Wood in the BBNP. I wondering about the road leading to it. A little gravel without steep grades or big rocks is fine on the RT, but much else would be uncomfortable. Also, if some un-forcasted rain appeared I don't want the road to deteriorate too badly. How is that road? I've read the other threads, but still, other suggestions are always welcome.

Are you talking about Old Maverick rd? If it's dry it will be no problem. If very recent rain I would take the paved road to get there. After a real serious rain it will take about a half day in the sun to dry out. The mud out there is very sticky and will gum up your tires until they won't rotate.

Old Maverick was is really good shape as of two days ago when I was on it. But like Bruce said, if it recently rained, I would take Ross Maxwell instead. Longer, but still a darn good ride through the park.

Looks like I can take Ross Maxwell scenic which appears to be paved all the way to Castolon followed by a turn south to a short unpaved section to the camp ground. That's the part I wonder about.

The very short road into Cottonwood is very well maintained. So I wouldn't think that you would have any trouble at all with it. It is mainly hard packed dirt and very little loose stuff.

Thanks for the advice. I camped at Cottonwood a few nights ago. Was really nice except for the cold. 32 in the morning. I think I was looking at the River Road on the map and that's why I thought more of a dirt road existed. The drive into the campground was a non issue for any bike.

I recall meeting a lady at a BB store two yrs ago who told me her and her husband were riding DRZs on Old Maverick toward evening and were caught in a major downpour. She siad the dirt turned into a mud with the consistency of grease. She said they couldnt keep the motorcycles going and ended up destroying the clutch in one of them. She said it was a mess.

Back