• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Your favorite summer/hot weather riding jacket

Reaction score
I know it gets hot as heck in Texas in the summer - maybe not as hot as southern Nevada ("but it's a dry heat" :sun:)

What is you alls favorite jacket for riding once the temp gets north of 90 degrees?
(when I was young and dumb I rode in shorts and a tank top, no gloves and tennis shoes, but now I won't ride without at least something covering pretty much every inch of skin....)

Picked this Klim Marakeesh jacket up yesterday on clearance at my local shop - normally I won't spend this kind of coin on anything that's not leather, but I have a couple of pairs of Klim pants that I picked up secondhand off Craigslist and they really are top quality - will report on it after I get a few rides ( it's 106 already and expected to break 110 so probably won't be today). It was on the end of the clearance rack, the only one, got closer and saw it was my size, then confirmed the clearance discount and figured it had to have been put there specifically for ME to buy......
Along with great quality and fit, I like that Klim includes high quality D30 armor in their gear, including back armor (and not just a piece of styrofoam).

Attachments

• 86CA973D-6EF8-4F7C-A632-C5EAA1D1C556.jpeg
    86CA973D-6EF8-4F7C-A632-C5EAA1D1C556.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 127
  • A7AABFEF-055E-43CA-9295-DEDC25642D9F.jpeg
    A7AABFEF-055E-43CA-9295-DEDC25642D9F.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 4F8E7BCF-8F83-4CF6-9BB9-42CDA847EC3E.jpeg
    4F8E7BCF-8F83-4CF6-9BB9-42CDA847EC3E.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 1EE166FF-1EAC-4D94-9133-EEC679C71ED6.jpeg
    1EE166FF-1EAC-4D94-9133-EEC679C71ED6.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Nice score/find on your jacket. That's a really good deal.

I've only had 3 jackets so far and all 3 have been Tourmaster jackets. I bought 2 of them and my father in law gave me his jacket when he quit riding. I don't remember the style/model of the jacket, but the entire thing is vented and above 20 MPH, the air does flow in the arms and chest, but the back has that foam pad and because of that, my back gets covered in sweat very fast.

Most of the time, I won't ride when I know its above 92-93 because I'm not smart enough to take breaks to hydrate.

I looked up the Marakeesh jacket and I really like the burnt olive colored jacket. I guess next time I'm at Moto Liberty in north Dallas (or whatever city its actually in) I'll have to see if they have one and try them on.

Down by the coast, normally the temps don't peak as high, staying in the mid-90s. So a ventilated mesh jacket is my preference. I've had 3 different ones and the seem about equal insofar as airflow.
Despite the humidity, I have used an evaporative cooling vest for longer rides. A cooling vest with polyacrylamide crystals lasts longer than a cotton t-shirt soaked in water.

Something I saw when I was in Cycle Gear a few weeks ago was a back/spine pad that was more ventilated. That would be an improvement over the standard pad most jackets come with.

1. You do not want to be riding in ventilated gear when the temps are much above 90.
2. LD Comfort and water are your friend: www.ldcomfort.com

Read this and take it to heart. For those of us that ride many thousands of miles in extreme conditions, this is the gospel. https://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

Read this regarding staying hydrated.

Both articles go hand-in-hand in regards to keeping you safe and more comfortable when riding in hot and very hot conditions.

It was 112 here today and I've ridden in 115-118 degrees using the above guides. It wasn't comfortable, but I was safe and not facing dehydration or heat stroke. LD Comfort is not cheap but I've never regretted my purchases. I wear the full tights, the long sleeve turtleneck shirt, and the helmet cap. For outer gear I wear a Roadcrafter two-piece suit.

I use this for hydration: https://www.motojug.com/

Last edited:
1. You do not want to be riding in ventilated gear when the temps are much above 90.
2. LD Comfort and water are your friend: www.ldcomfort.com

Read this and take it to heart. For those of us that ride many thousands of miles in extreme conditions, this is the gospel. https://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

Read this regarding staying hydrated.

Both articles go hand-in-hand in regards to keeping you safe and more comfortable when riding in hot and very hot conditions.

It was 112 here today and I've ridden in 115-118 degrees using the above guides. It wasn't comfortable, but I was safe and not facing dehydration or heat stroke. LD Comfort is not cheap but I've never regretted my purchases. I wear the full tights, the long sleeve turtleneck shirt, and the helmet cap. For outer gear I wear a Roadcrafter two-piece suit.

I use this for hydration: https://www.motojug.com/
I learned this about 10 years ago, game changer!

Back