• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Z650RS

I am not sure if the comparison with a Street Twin is fair. That's a 900 cc with much more torque. If Triumph would put 17" wheels, it would be a no brainer even over this little Kawi. But no, it's gotta be an 18" wheel. Ay chihuahua.

I am not sure if the comparison with a Street Twin is fair. That's a 900 cc with much more torque. If Triumph would put 17" wheels, it would be a no brainer even over this little Kawi. But no, it's gotta be an 18" wheel. Ay chihuahua.

Speed Twin has 17" alloy wheels. Forged even! Like I say, those are basically exotics. The Street Twin is a bit different bike. It has nearly the same power as the Z650RS but with a very different character. With the 270 degree crank, I suspect you just ride it differently. The new Z650RS should make its 67 hp at 8500 rpm and redline at 10K. The max torque is at like 6800 rpm. The Street Twin makes more torque and at 3750 rpm, and the redline is only 7500 rpm! I'm sure the Z650RS will out-accelerate the Street Twin, and might even out-accelerate the Speed Twin. Whole different feel.

What do I know? I haven't ridden either a Kawasaki 650 twin of any kind or a 270 degree Bonneville-like. But I have a 500cc Suzuki 180-deg twin and a 360 degree Bonneville and I can tell you they are night and day different in terms of engine character. The 180 just begs to be revved and screams to the redline, and the Bonnie is quite content to be ridden under 5K all the time. I'm sure the 270 crank Triumphs are even more laid back.

I think the conversation on this thread is right on. The Z650RS looks to me like a 650 class sport bike playing dress up. I'm sure it still feels plenty sportbike.

Regarding all the speculation about Kawasaki's 650 twin: It's sold in an adventure bike: 650 Versys, Cruiser: 650 Vulcan, naked: 650 Z, sport: 650 Ninja. It's a nice, willing all around motor but hardly exceptional. Mine pulls in sixth at 3K and revs easily to 9K. It certainly is not an Aprilia 660 or a KLR 650. A lot of people would find the Yamaha 700 motor more fun. Why would Kawasaki certify a special motor for this one model?

I am a big fan of Kawi's 650 parallel twin. It is not a great motor, but its very competent at everything it does (power, feel, reliability, packaging). I have a Versys 650 for the street, and a Ninja 650 for a LWT class race bike. If I was in the market, I would look long and hard at these. Seems like a great looking little every day bike with some style.

It's funny, my friend has a Vulcan S 650, and he feels like it's quite slow. My guess is he doesn't bother revving it. Looks like a Speed Twin has 0-60 times around 3.4 sec (which is freaking fast, IMHO) and a Z650 is in the ballpark at around 4.0. Both are quicker than my Bonneville SE by at least half a second, and probably quicker than a Ducati Scrambler even though the weight is about the same and the Duc has 150 more ccs. I think this engine will have plenty of power for the intended purpose.

Back on the price, Kawasaki will have to price their Z650RS aggressively. The XSR retails at $8,499 and the Trident 660 retails at $8,195. Both make more power than the Z650RS. The XSR is 2 pounds lighter than the Z650RS and the Trident is 5 pounds heavier but pumps out 80 HP. The Triumph makes a pretty strong argument here. $7,999 for the black one would be a winner. Add $200 or $250 for the fancy paint.

Good story here, they think it's definitely coming to USA. Couple of errors and contradictions... Hope it comes with the tall seat pictured for the USA.

I don't think it's fair to compare it with a triumph Trident, that's a normal modern naked bike with a triple. But the XSR700 is a clear competitor. For me personally the biggest competitor is Ducati scrambler.

Last edited:

Good story here, they think it's definitely coming to USA. Couple of errors and contradictions... Hope it comes with the tall seat pictured for the USA.

I don't think it's fair to compare it with a triumph Trident, that's a normal modern naked bike with a triple. But the XSR700 is a clear competitor. For me personally the biggest competitor is Ducati scrambler.
Why is it not a fair comparison to the Trident? Same price range, same weight... The only difference is that the Kawi is down on power and has less features than the Triumph.

Why is it not a fair comparison to the Trident? Same price range, same weight... The only difference is that the Kawi is down on power and has less features than the Triumph.

What I meant is, the Triumph is not a retro-styled bike. I think it competes with the normal Z650 more directly. Triumph doesn't make a retro-looks modern bike. Triumph Trident is aimed squarely at the likes SV650, MT-07. Kawasaki doesn't really have a dog in that fight.

That's just MHO. I don't think a lot of people will cross-shop a Triumph Trident against a Z650RS. I agree with you that the price/performance is in favor of the Triumph, but I just don't think they are the same class of bike. I think if you invite the Triumph Trident, you have to compare the MT-07, SV650, CB650R, other "naked sport" street bikes.

What I meant is, the Triumph is not a retro-styled bike. I think it competes with the normal Z650 more directly. Triumph doesn't make a retro-looks modern bike. Triumph Trident is aimed squarely at the likes SV650, MT-07. Kawasaki doesn't really have a dog in that fight.

That's just MHO. I don't think a lot of people will cross-shop a Triumph Trident against a Z650RS. I agree with you that the price/performance is in favor of the Triumph, but I just don't think they are the same class of bike. I think if you invite the Triumph Trident, you have to compare the MT-07, SV650, CB650R, other "naked sport" street bikes.
I think the Trident is a neo retro just like the Z650RS. It's been called a neo retro in several articles. Below are just a few links:

I guess as a Bonneville owner, I just have a different viewpoint on what's "retro". Maybe I am just confusing "retro" with "classic". To me a Trident 660 just is not in the same category with those bikes. It's only "retro" in that it doesn't look idiotic, and it has a round(ish) headlight. I guess if that's retro...

Z900 SE is a far better buy, with those upgraded components. Ohlins rear shock. Brembo calipers with S.S. lines. Now if they would do a Ninja 900 SX sport touring version, I'd jump in that in a heartbeat.

Z900 SE is a far better buy, with those upgraded components. Ohlins rear shock. Brembo calipers with S.S. lines. Now if they would do a Ninja 900 SX sport touring version, I'd jump in that in a heartbeat.
I agree that the Z900 SE is a much better value.

I can't believe Kawasaki prices the Z650RS that high.

I agree that the Z900 SE is a much better value.

I can't believe Kawasaki prices the Z650RS that high.
Z900RS SE is priced at $13,449, compared to Z900 SE at $10,699. Exactly the same components, so Kawi apparently believes retro styling is somehow worth $2750 more. I don't see the value in that but the Z900 RS sold quite well, so evidently lots of riders are willing to pay more for retro styling.

Not sure how comfortable it's going to be for the passenger. She looks fairly small.

2022-Kawasaki-Z650RS-10-scaled.jpg

Kawasaki has got to lose that old 650 twin. If the Z650RS had a n MSRP closer to $5,999, I wouldn't complain about its design or componentry, but there's no way I would pay a premium price for any bike with that decades-old powerplant stuffed into it. Granted, it is an unarguably bulletproof engine, but it exudes all the sound and excitement of your granny's sewing machine just before winter coat season. It is long past time for Kawasaki to design an all new parallel twin with more displacement, a different firing order, and better torque. The fact that they keep producing the current 650 in the face of the Yamaha CP2 engine (R7, MT-07, FZ-07, XSR700, Ténéré 700), the RS-660 and others, leaves me scratching my head. Even financially strapped Suzuki is in the final stages of bringing a new CP2-esque parallel twin onto the market.

If I wanted a small retro twin, I'd take the XSR over the Z650RS any day. There are plenty of them on the used market with low miles and at decent prices, even in the current vehicle crunch.

We've long since lost any hope of the millennials getting into motorcycling, so it's up to their kids the Zoomers to come to the sport's rescue. I have to wonder if a bike like the Z650RS will even get their attention, much less inspire them to ride. In any case, I can tell you that the worn out hipster marketing imagery Kawasaki are using to sell this bike is super tired and cringy; just the sort of thing Gen-Z loves to meme, not embrace.

I can't find any info on when the bike will be released in the US but Kawa Mexico says March 2022. Will we see it earlier in the US?

First review. It's in French. The guy in the video is 6 ft tall. His main complain is really soft suspension.

Kawasaki is offering a 50th anniversary model for 2022 (for an extra $250):

Gorgeous!

8c86bdb7-cbc4-4564-a9b1-5d75dfcf66df.jpg

I kinda like it. Maybe I can buy used in the coming years but I like a centerstand. I am kinda on the hunt for a different car. Wanna trade my Forte GT in for a low mileage newer CTS. We'll see what I find.

The bike is already out in some parts of the country (California) and should be on the Texas showroom floor soon. I was checking Kawasaki's website for accessories as they usually offer a different seat. The Z650 is too cramped for me and I was relieved to see that Kawi offers a high seat until I saw the price: $573! Ouch! This is Corbin prices right there.

Kawasaki has revised its pricing by adding another fee to freight on their website. They list $430 as a destination charge and now a freight and materials surcharge at $200.

I wish we would adopt the European system of OTD pricing...

Back